Sign in to follow this  
Brandon Miller

How to run 2 engines together?

do you mean 2 motors in one loco, or 2 separate locos with separate motors receivers and batteries?

My son recently got the new cargo train set. He's already wanting to add more cars. How can you set up two engines to run together with the IR remote/receiver?

If it is in one loco just connect two PF connectors together (one on top of the second) and then plug it into IR receiver. IR can "carry" few engine at the same port. If this will be two different locomotives you have to switch both IR receivers on the same channel and connect engine to the same port (for example blue). Then both trains will drive at the same time, at the same speed.

If it is in one loco just connect two PF connectors together (one on top of the second) and then plug it into IR receiver. IR can "carry" few engine at the same port. If this will be two different locomotives you have to switch both IR receivers on the same channel and connect engine to the same port (for example blue). Then both trains will drive at the same time, at the same speed.

And switch the direction in the battery box if the two locos will be facing in opposite directions.

As Waler said you can connect 2 PF connectors together and put them on the same color of the IR receiver. But for the front motor you also need part 8869 (PF control switch) to reverse the polarity of the front motor.

As Waler said you can connect 2 PF connectors together and put them on the same color of the IR receiver. But for the front motor you also need part 8869 (PF control switch) to reverse the polarity of the front motor.

only if you have the facing in different directions, so the cables pointing to each other, if you have the room and have both cables coming out the back of the motors then you don't need to reverse one

We were going to run 2 different engines with different motors. It appears that the easier way is to run them nose to tail instead of back to back.

Yup, elephant style.

In that case just set the Chanel the same on both receivers and make sure you use the same colour output on the receivers to connect the motor and they will work off the same remote at the same time.

In that case just set the Chanel the same on both receivers and make sure you use the same colour output on the receivers to connect the motor and they will work off the same remote at the same time.

That's not guaranteed; if only one of the receivers misses the signal they will run at different speeds and you won't be able to fix that. Better is to but the PF motor on each loco on a different channel; there's still the risk that one of the receivers will miss a signal, but at least now they can be independently ratcheted back up.

This mechanism also lets you "enjoy" a realistic double-heading scenario, where you have to carefully match speeds...

That's not guaranteed; if only one of the receivers misses the signal they will run at different speeds and you won't be able to fix that. Better is to but the PF motor on each loco on a different channel; there's still the risk that one of the receivers will miss a signal, but at least now they can be independently ratcheted back up.

This mechanism also lets you "enjoy" a realistic double-heading scenario, where you have to carefully match speeds...

Fair point on missing signals

I wouldn't be so worried about them going out of sync, but there's still an advantage to separate channels, in that you can separate them at journey's end.

I set up my Horizon Express to run two PF train motors from within the front locomotive and both motors are tied to the blue side of the PF receiver. I don't have to worry about the front of the train getting ahead of the back or messing around with two battery boxes. Your goal is to add power to the train to pull more cars, but you do not want to add too much additional weight (like a second receiver or battery box) to the mix. Plus you will get to use those mad Lego modification skills to build a better design than what came in the set. Next thing you know, you will be building something like a 4-4-0 American or some other model of locomotive from your own imagination instead of from a set. That is when you realize you have been bitten by the train bug.

My biggest warning is the trains become very fast when running two PF train motors in a single unit so be careful of having the locomotive override the tracks in turns. I have felt more like I was controlling a slot car with some of my setups rather then running a model train. In fact, this is why my latest build has been converted from using PF Train Motors to M Motors because they are slower and require less attention from me to run on a layout.