Balrog

Your opinion on Reverse Engineering new Sets

That is going to be a difficult one to reproduce with only that one picture.

The more reason to look forward to it :grin:

I don't mind people making replicas of unreleased sets, but I don't see the point. IMO it ruins the excitement in waiting for the sets to be released.

Just in case people have missed it, dokludi has also finished his 42035 replica.

Also he seems to be making a 42039 replica as well. At least there is a yet unmoderated folder for it

The 42039 replica is really good, but there are issues with the suspension that Lego would not do... For example IF they were using the older style hubs, they wouldn't use the shocks in the front like that because there is a chance that the edge of the shock could catch the edge of the steering arm...

I would be really surprised if they used the old hubs...

Edited by Paul Boratko

Me too!

It really is remarkable and I can understand why some do not like to preview a set before release, but I think it's great.

Edited by therealjustin

I'm always amazed at how quickly dokludi does it :classic:

...and it's remarkable how "non sense" it is aswell....to buy a new lego set it's like having sex with someone already naked the first time you see her......no pleasure at unveiling....as no pleasure at undressing!

Honestly......tell me what's the point of this guy now........that he can do quick and before than everybody?? Bha.....silly

@TheItalianBrick

It's okay to express your opinion, but please, tone it down a little.

"what's the point of this guy now"

"This guy" is an active respected EB member, so please refrain from using comments like that.

And let's end the discussion about it being useful or not. If you really want to discuss it, make another topic.

@TheItalianBrick

It's okay to express your opinion, but please, tone it down a little.

"what's the point of this guy now"

"This guy" is an active respected EB member, so please refrain from using comments like that.

And let's end the discussion about it being useful or not. If you really want to discuss it, make another topic.

I'm absolutelly chilled, if you want we can say "what's the point of doing that replicas" wheter is him or someone else......

Plus to end a discussion about being useful or not means to skip an answer. Probably there are no answer for such replicas... :laugh:

yes I apologize...anyway I respect his own creations a lot!! Not his replicas... :sweet:

Edited by TheItalianBrick

...and it's remarkable how "non sense" it is aswell....to buy a new lego set it's like having sex with someone already naked the first time you see her......no pleasure at unveiling....as no pleasure at undressing!

Honestly......tell me what's the point of this guy now........that he can do quick and before than everybody?? Bha.....silly

Bad analogies make terrible arguments. A Lego set is just a box containing a bunch of classified parts in bags and instructions on how to build a certain model. So it is a quite limited pleasure if that is all you can make out of it. Figuring out how something is made is a bigger challenge way more satisfying than following instructions like a sheep. And after that you still can follow the instructions and enjoy learning form what mistakes you possibly did.

To be honest your arguments have no merit.

Bad analogies make terrible arguments. A Lego set is just a box containing a bunch of classified parts in bags and instructions on how to build a certain model. So it is a quite limited pleasure if that is all you can make out of it. Figuring out how something is made is a bigger challenge way more satisfying than following instructions like a sheep. And after that you still can follow the instructions and enjoy learning form what mistakes you possibly did.

To be honest your arguments have no merit.

Again, you keep skipping the point try to move into something that makes you feel comfortable with!

And oh sorry....never build anything in my life....so only I can do it's to follow instructions as a sheep!!!!

Now please tell me, my arguments have no merit, to build a replica before an official release yes! lol You funny... :laugh:

*same reply to the 2015 post but its more relevant here*

Ok. so first of all good job to Dokludi and Waler for the reverse engineering attempt on the 42031. secondly it is clear that the turntable part is wrong, they use "Technic, Pin Double with Axle Hole" with "Technic, Axle and Pin Connector Perpendicular Double " also the roof of the cabin doesnt contain 2 5L axles but one at the front and an interesting combination on the back(as seen from the black pin pointing out) the seats clearly have a new part as seen which is like "Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Pin Hole " but an inversed verion ( the plate is pointing out rather clearly) the brick has the new 1X2 slope and 1X1 tile with 1X2 plate at the back

the interesting question is the 0.5 studs offset. in my opinion the easiest way is to add double Technic, Pin Double with Axle Hole with Pin Long with Friction Ridges Lengthwise and Center Pin Hole but maybe there are aother ways. as for the roof there might be a chance for a new part because i cant yet think of a combination that would satisfy the picture.

as for the 42032. in the picture the right side of the bucket arm is detached(angle between two white beams) also there are some more mistakes with the parts but overall its a nice attempt.

looking forward for better pictures.

and for the fun, trying to make a model from only few low res pictures is hard and very challenging.

Peace.

Again, you keep skipping the point try to move into something that makes you feel comfortable with!

And oh sorry....never build anything in my life....so only I can do it's to follow instructions as a sheep!!!!

Now please tell me, my arguments have no merit, to build a replica before an official release yes! lol You funny... :laugh:

I can't again keep doing anything as I did not post anything about replicas before. .

At no point did I say that you only follow instructions like a sheep. Care to quote where did I say that you do that?

But since you missed the whole point I will please you and tell you again that building a replica is a bigger challenge way more satisfying than following instructions like a sheep. And to me that is the point of doing it.

I hope I am still funny, sounding rude or dumb would be a shame.

Some people love reverse engineering stuff given limited information, TheItalianBrick. To each their own.

As for the topic's title: I won't look at reverse-engineered creations as I prefer to be (hopefully pleasantly) surprised when building the official sets. Furthermore, reverse-engineered versions often have incorrect colours, mistakes and are missing new molds. But again, to each their own.

Getting a replica exactly right from just one image is close to impossible, but I do definitely see the challenge these builders put upon themselves trying to do it!

I had an absolute great time building my 42028 replica last winter. That being said, I can see how some people may feel the magic being taken out of it by prematurely showing off an (probably wrong) interpretation of what one builder thinks a given set might be like :classic:

I myself don't build replicas even If I see the appealing to it, however I fail to see how other's replicas can take anything from me when the time comes to get/build an official set. None is forcing me to study those replicas or stealing my chance to build a novel Lego set. And if I were to build the replicas myself, building the official set afterwards would still be enjoyable.

For those into Scify building a replica and an official set is like reading Ender's game and Ender's shadow.

I'm ok with replicas and the challange involved. But a replica of something not yet on the market just keeps all the fun, exhitement and waiting out!

aol000xw as you were speaking to me, it was obviuos you consider me a "sheep"! I'm fine with that, as far as you are too :wink: as i said I've never build a MOC... :cry_happy:

I don't get how a reverse engineered set could diminish the appreciation of the original.

I see them as a demonstration of the skills of the builder, especially the way he or she interprets those first preliminary images. The fact that they can derive the proportions and (most of) the functions from those blurry, one-dimensional photos deserves respect one way or another.

Additionally, it is a way to get a feeling of what the upcoming sets will look and feel like. I largely decided on my wish list and the MOD’s I would like to make, based on these first glimpses and the images of the replicas help in that process.

The fact that the official sets will be different in parts, structure, functions and/or colour still guarantees the excitement of actually owning and building the new set once it arrives.

In other words, keep up the good work you reverse-engineers!

I'm ok with replicas and the challange involved. But a replica of something not yet on the market just keeps all the fun, exhitement and waiting out!

But that is the point of the challenge isn't it? If the set is on the market and many more resources (pictures) are available, it is probably not as challenging to do as when there is limited information/resources. Also the builder then may be tempted to actually use these other ressources for a more precise construction. For the 1H2015 sets we now have a single picture per set and that forces the builder to guess and improvise.

If you want to push this whole thought to the top, you might guess the builder wants to challenge himself how accurate in total his construction will be (which he can only evaluate once the sets are on the market), not just the general shape of the model.

I think it's pretty cool that people like to challenge themselves by reverse engineering models... TechnicBRICKs even has a yearly competition for doing it...

Edited by Paul Boratko

I totally see the enjoyment people get from the challenge of reverse engineering something from photos. It doesn't take anything away from anyone's individual enjoyment of a set but I think the leaked photos and reverse engineered sets aren't so great in general for a community because here we are with the 2H sets only having been out a short time but hardly anyone is talking about them because they are old news. People are only interested in talking about sets that won't be in the average person's hands for four months. Theres' a disconnect between what people are talking about and what is actually new in the stores. But that sort of thing is just inherent to today's world. There's no point in trying to pretend information doesn't exist.

I think it's great, that helps me decide to buy a new set or to wait for this to come out, since I only spend like 120€ in average in LEGO each year and I don't want to spend them all and then know that there were going to be better sets.

I think it is crazy how the builder can not only get the looks of the model, but the functionally and gearing is perfect. It just amazes me. I have tried it and just couldn't do it without super detailed pictures of what it was that I was building.