Hey Guys,

So I decided to go back to one of my first MOCs and wanted to rebuild the whole thing. Going with live axles, XL motor mounted directly to it, then geared down to 1:3 and have the knob gears to finally deliver the power to the wheels. I will probably do the front end tomorrow.

So what do you guys think? Too overkill? :P

VKU6fXj.png?1

And this is V1

0sfQQnC.jpg?1

I have a 4XL rock crawler geared 1:3 and it's pretty fun :) It never stops :P Waiting for some snow to test it otside hahah :)

I like your tires, looks nice :)

Awesome tires, anyway, but you should place the BB lower, it has the center of gravity so high, and when crawilng, it is going to turn upside down.

Good luck!

The tires look awesome, but I think you'll need a lower center of gravity. For instance look at 9398 and how the BB is integrated in a lower place

Yes I agree that the BB is too high. That's why I am going back and redesigning it. I just posted a picture to show you all what it looked like.

And I love the tires. As the foam inside as well.

Looks good. It might be a little overbuilt, but you'll figure out the delicate balancing act between strength and weight.

The link mounts look kind of questionable though. The angle of the links can lead to problems. The greater the angle, the more likely for them to pop off of the ball joints or the ball joints to click out of the liftarms.

v/r

Andy

Hey... Did you know your BB needs to be lower???

Just kidding around because thats one of the first things I thought of - Right after I wished I had the parts on hand to build something simular!!!

Just one question - Which gear ratio have you used for gearing the XLs down? I see 1:3 in the portal hub, but the inner side of the axle is hidden.

Edit, sorry, it isn't hidden, please just prove me that DG knob-wheel is used there ;) (in front axle (with servo))

Edited by Gzzig

@Gzzig, Yup there are knob gears. That's all I use now :D

Right now I am working on making the links, tried doing liftarms but too stiff so do a different method. Also i have to fix the steering as well.

Well it's been awhile since I have updated this. Was busy with some stuff and was going through some different versions of the rock crawler. I am hoping this is the finally version.

So I took some ideas from Madoca1977(by the way is an awesome builder!) I used his ideas from the 4x4 crawler, like the live axles and the gearbox. I did some of my own as well. The gearbox is remote control and I plan to do 4ws when the parts come in Tuesday. I am also building a Jeep body for it and using Nico71's Jeep build. I like his and its simple.

Also I have another Medium motor on the other side of the gearbox and plan to make a winch with it. And the battery isn't going to be mounted there and is just a temporary place for it so I can test.

Let me know what you guys think. Hopefully you guys/gals like it.

5v8gAyk.jpg?1

15cEygf.jpg?1

dqpbVBd.jpg?1

Looking good! Only thing I'm concerned about is that gearbox, the driving rings and 16t clutch gears don't hold up too well under high amounts of torque.

I agree. Had it pop out a few times but held up well on some tuff stuff. Have the motor switching gears helps a lot to keep it in place.

Looks much better. I don't care for the caster angle on the front, but that is hard to deal with. I look forward to a video of the performance.

v/r

Andy