kabel

Snot Rock Tutorial

I meant no offense just throwing out the some extra info. I'm a geologist working for an oil field company, though I don't think I could ever navigate the waters to teach classes. Not my thing but nothing but respect for the people who do. Quick term for sedimentary rock=soft rock, and for igneous/metamorphic=hard rock.

Well thanks for telling me, I hand't known that before. Guess we wouldn't simplify things like that in German academic Geology, which is to say that I have no clue wether our field geologists wouldn't do so either. Anyway, it makes sense to me though :wink:

Usually, in academia, students are expected to use the "proper" terms, such as sedimentary/igneous/metamorphic, and then terms that are relative- "more resistant" and "less resistant" to erosion. In general life though, hard and soft work well enough. Depends on the application at hand. Note that this is from a British geography/geology point of view, and is what the current curriculum specifies.

As an aside, in terms of building rocks, this really is a great tutorial. I'm putting it to great use- even if I'm having to be creative with my slopes, not possessing all that many! Seeing your dwarves and this tut has inspired me to create my own Nocty dwarves and a mine! Cheers kabel!

Note that this is from a British geography/geology point of view, and is what the current curriculum specifies.

That is rather depressing. I hope the kids are smart enough to use youtube instead of the curriculum

Great tutorial. I have never thought of doing it this way (and I don't have the right pieces really) but your examples are superb.

Very instructive tutorial, kabel :thumbup: Interesting how different builders use different approaches to achieve pretty similar effects :classic:

Usually, in academia, students are expected to use the "proper" terms, such as sedimentary/igneous/metamorphic, and then terms that are relative- "more resistant" and "less resistant" to erosion. In general life though, hard and soft work well enough. Depends on the application at hand. Note that this is from a British geography/geology point of view, and is what the current curriculum specifies.

As an aside, in terms of building rocks, this really is a great tutorial. I'm putting it to great use- even if I'm having to be creative with my slopes, not possessing all that many! Seeing your dwarves and this tut has inspired me to create my own Nocty dwarves and a mine! Cheers kabel!

In America, there is sorta of a resentment that goes on between geologist who are in the oilfield, and those that do everything else, due to the difference in pay. Hard rock geologists call oil field geologists soft rocks for a number of different reasons, all based on the difference in pay. Earth Science teachers here make sure they tell you that in grade school on through college and beyond. Back on topic this is an excellent tutorial, as I have always used BURPs to give the rocks stability and its good to see you can do it without them.

Thank you Kabel, for this nice tutorial.

I like odd shapes and weird angles on my rockwork, so this will certainly help.

Cool rocks Manx! You should stick to one color per layer though, mixing colors that way creates a really artificial effect. Better, when using dark or light bley try to stick to one color and mix it with vegetation!

youp, snot's great. Thank god there are so many different bricks. I am thinking of the all those different shaped wedge plates that come in all kind of natural colors and give us the possibility to make the top of the rock studs up again. Unimaginable 20 years ago. Great tutorial.

Oh, Gosh! How on Earth I did not see this topic before! The LEGO universe thank you for sharing the techniques. It's gonna be hard use by me soon.

In the near future I'll be creating some sort of landscaping tutorials for BLAB (check out the link in my signature if you're interested!) Do you mind if I maybe take some of your mocs (in particular, the western one) to use as an example? Thanks, nice tutorial by the way :) snot rocks are super cool, I love to mix snot into myu rock work, it allows so much freedom in creating organic shapes and such :)

11344944574_b18082d369_z.jpg

Thanks dude, and sure, go ahead and use it! More pics on my flickr account.