Sign in to follow this  
mapimi

Damaged box discount

Hi everyone,

I seem to remember a thread that I wasn't able to find about the discounts some users have been able to get for damaged box at lego stores. I was curious how one could find out about such discounts at a particular lego store. Is there a special bin with lots of damaged sets or do you need to ask employees about it and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance

I would ask. Last time at the local Lego Store I was offered a couple of Modulars, the Creator City building and a VW Camper all with damaged boxes. There was no cash discount, but they did offer additional 500 VIP Points instead - so I took home the VW. Sweet!

My local Lego store manager sends the damaged and opened returned sets back to lego where they are broken down and used by lego for large projects like store displays.

People would damage the sets and then expect a discount.

I've seen damaged boxes in a special section that has other "clearanced" items. Usually you can tell it's all from the same case - like several of same item damaged. In these cases I think the biggest mark down I saw was 20% off, but those are on smaller sets.

It never hurts to ask. If you see something not in great shape, most stores (even stores like Target or Walmart) will give discounts if something looks bad enough.

Hi everyone,

I seem to remember a thread that I wasn't able to find about the discounts some users have been able to get for damaged box at lego stores. I was curious how one could find out about such discounts at a particular lego store. Is there a special bin with lots of damaged sets or do you need to ask employees about it and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance

Not all stores have the damaged box goods. After some questionable abuses by a few store employees all damaged goods go back to regional get inventoried and palleted up and then are sent to a limited list of specific stores for clearance. generally the stores with better back room storage and floor space. The stores that have the damaged boxes will generally have a table or pedestal of them near the register. They only put a bit our at a time in order to spread the stuff around. If your store has the damaged goods table it also never hurts to ask if they have what you are looking for damaged in the back. As I said they don't put it all out at once.

I know here in the Atlanta, GA area the Sugarloaf Mills store has the damaged good table, while the Northpoint store does not. The "non Lego Lego stores" such as those at the Discovery Centers will not have the tables as far as I know.

For the most part the damaged box discount disappeared set my local LEGO store last year. I was able to get a couple of modular sand some high end sets before the discount went away. I miss it. One of the asst. managers knew me by "always buys big damaged box sets".

Ah, we'll it was good while it lasted. Now the only discounts are close out items, usually not what I am looking for.

Andy D

Damaged boxes from my local Target are donated to my local Goodwill where they are sold for discounted prices. I bought my Milano Spaceship Rescue for $50 this way.

Edited by Wildspeaker

As others have said, my local store puts the damaged box sets up near the register. Last time I was they had Benny's Spaceship for 20% off.

I have never had much luck bargaining with salespeople, however I have been able to get about 5$ USC on some Atlantis sets back in the day.

Hello Mapimi !

I saw you are from France. I know that many stores in France keep damaged boxes and then they alert LEGO France. Those boxes are then collected by the company for charity (it is given to childrens' associations for example at Christmas). But maybe if you are lucky you can get some in some shops :sweet:

If it is a set that they can not discount, you get extra VIP points. If it is any other set it is usually %10 off.

The boxes would be with the regularly priced ones.

Edited by legoman19892

Thank you everyone for your answers, I was curious as sometimes a lego hobby can be expensive and it sounded like some people had gotten good offers through damaged boxes, that but kids through charities for example deserve these toys more than I :)