Sign in to follow this  
eurotrash

MOD: City-ifying Doc Ock Truck Heist

Modifying the Spiderman Doc Ock Truck for City use

I can't resist a bargain and in my local supermarket they had the Lego 76015 Doc Ock Truck Heist marked down by 33%. I thought at the very least I could use it as a parts pack.

It's a straightforward enough build and has plenty of playability - exploding roofs, catapulted swinging spiderman and a dextrous Doc Ock, but good grief there was no way it was going to fit into my City!

The wheels are massive! The rear wheel positioning is bizarre and the whole thing looks obviously like it came from a comic book (I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised by that :classic: )

11370722523_28e93e9ef3_c.jpg

So, I dumped the comically large wheels, reduced the wheel span by three studs by moving the rear wheels away from the very back of the truck and reduced the overall length by two. I reworked the front end to give it a more modern feel and tweaked the color scheme. I lost the exploding roof function and cleaned up the roof line.

15256467696_4962410c16_c.jpg

Here's a comparison of the original wheel base and those clownish wheels to this new version

15279103662_0c2a3e0e13_c.jpg

One final shot

15092762940_275bf299f2_c.jpg

So, what's the point of this post? I suppose it's seek out bargains and modify them to suit your needs. I know I'll be looking for other vehicles to mod - after I've turned this one into a 7-wide one.

Edit: I reworked the front end to make it less blocky, turned the back shell of the truck into 7-wide by using jumper plates. I also increased the overall height by 1 plate and cleaned up the roof line.

15095036330_30100d63d9_c.jpg

Edited by eurotrash

It looks good, I never noticed how oddly positioned the rear wheels were on the original though. But I must say, the original looks more modern to me. I think the grille you chose might have made it look like an older vehicle to me.

But I still like it, the vehicle's age isn't he point. :classic:

It looks a bit like a Rolls Royce in the front :) Thats a good thing. I like you MOD much better than the original anyway :)

I really like the your shorter version better but the front looks oversized compared to the rest of the truck.

Hola!

You've done a bang-on job Cityfying (it is totally a word) the set. Looks great. Aside from the red bricks, does your redesign use many extra pieces?

EvMan

I really like the your shorter version better but the front looks oversized compared to the rest of the truck.

You're right Bamos! I've given it some curves and changed the grille design, added an extra plate to the height and made it 7-wide - hopefully that's an improvement.

15095036330_30100d63d9_c.jpg

You've done a bang-on job Cityfying (it is totally a word) the set. Looks great. Aside from the red bricks, does your redesign use many extra pieces?

EvMan

Thanks EvMan. There really wasn't too many additional pieces required (before I converted it to 7-wide). I went with what I could easily grab from the inventory - a couple of plates, some additional 1x2 green bricks, inverted red slopes, wheels and axles, grey tiles. The jumper plates, and black tiles for the 7-wide and the Light Grey tiles for the roof design was the bulk of them. If I had to guess then the new piece count was probably less than 60.

That's funny because I'm fiddling around with the exact same vehicle which I like very much btw., the design is much better than most of the actual City vehicles in my opinion. But I like your version (now 2 of them) very much, too, it's quite a unique design, the front of the 6w being my favourite.