Sign in to follow this  
Murdoch17

LDD MOCs - Hogwarts Express & Hogsmeade Station

15256589586_80726ce9d1_o.png

Leaving from Kings Cross' Platform 9 & 3/4 to Hogsmeade Station at exactly 9 AM, this train carries students (and sometimes faculty) to and from Hogwarts' School of Witchcraft & Wizardry in the Harry Potter series of books and movies.

NOTE: Students leaving school (for reasons including Christmas vacation or expulsion) are subject to leaving on the Hogwarts express.

16679145229_ca2cac9981_z.jpg

The Express is made up of four corridor coaches though sometimes a special fifth coach is attached with an open floor plan. The train is supplied with all kinds of goodies and sweets, from Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans to Chocolate Frogs.

The locomotive is a 4-6-0 (that means 4 leading, 6 driving, 0 trailing) Hall class steam engine built by the Great Western Railway and later used by Hogwarts Railways. It is named Hogwarts Castle and numbered 5972, which is something of an irony as the Hall class is closely related to the Castle class of steam engines, so "It's the Hall that thinks it's a Castle".

15083767307_45c9d7aaf6_z.jpg

Four BR Mark 1 coaches painted in Hogwarts Railways colors. The coaches include two corridor coaches, one corridor guard's coach, and a baggage coach. The end car is not accurate the the films, but it is what I prefer compared to the alternative: a gangway leading nowhere with no red light on the end.

16833294986_3a1af6dddc_z.jpg

This locomotive is a heavily modified version of LDDModelmaker's Black 5 model with some parts from set 79111, Constitution Train Chase. The numbers 5 9 7 2 go on the sides of the tender... it's not prototypical, I know, but it works well enough.

16858126531_5e5350ae11_z.jpg

The tender features a three wheeled bogie design modified from the one in Anthony Sava's famed ALCO MRS-1. The middle axle moves side to side, as to allow going through switches and curves without issue. The sideways stripes are also a Sava inspired feature, and are derived from his American 4-6-0.

Hogsmeade Station (Version 1)

15456678246_9cae36d478_z.jpg

This station is the terminus for the Hogwarts Express on it's school-ward journey. The platform is four tracks long, with the possibility of adding more sections due to the modular design. Their are two end-caps, two platforms and one station structure. Four benches are also included on the platform sections.

This part is supposed to be on the tan 1x4 sign out front ( http://www.bricklink...asp?P=2431pb022 ) but LDD doesn't have the print.

15476642671_ddbb2970b6_z.jpg

The inside features a ticket desk, and post box on the lower floor, while the upper floor features a station masters office space with a desk on the right side, and a switch / signal machine on the left. Two fireplaces (one per floor) keep the building nice and cozy during those cold winter days.

These models are grouped separately in the LDD file:

2 Platform end-caps

1 Platform, left

1 Platform, right

1 Station, ground level

1 Station, second floor,

1 station roof

15293072960_b4efc82ccd_z.jpg

Here is the street side.

Notes: This model is based off of the building in set 10132, Hogwarts Express, from 2004. (motorized edition)

The LEGO Digital Designer files for the Hogwarts Express train cars, Hogwarts Castle locomotive, & Hogsmeade station are available here:

Hogwarts Express train coaches: http://www.mocpages....1426728491m.lxf

Hogwarts Castle 5972 steam locomotive: http://www.mocpages....1426728306m.lxf

Hogsmeade Station: http://www.mocpages....1412793766m.lxf

Thank you for reading. Comments, questions, and complaints are welcome here!

Edited by Murdoch17

It looks great! Is it designed to work on the lego train system?

I have the first version of the Hogwarts express lego made but yours looks way better i think! Good job :)

Looks nice, though take a look at pictures of Hogsmeade station and the train. For the rest, great job!

Thanks! This is kinda like my take on the concept, based on official Lego sets and using techniques used in other sets.. A "what-if?" or a "could-of-been", if you will.

It looks great! Is it designed to work on the lego train system?

I have the first version of the Hogwarts express lego made but yours looks way better i think! Good job :)

Thank you! This model is 100% compatible with LEGO train system, though it is un-powered, like in the original Harry Potter sets. You would need a powered coach to push this engine along, if you really wanted to do so.

Edited by Murdoch17

Love it, I always wanted the motorized Hogwarts Express when it came out with the third movie. I wish they had included more coach cars with the newer train :sceptic:

Brilliant job! It's a shame LDD doesn't have printed bricks, otherwise you could use the on from the actual set. Amazing job nonetheless!

Brilliant job! It's a shame LDD doesn't have printed bricks, otherwise you could use the on from the actual set. Amazing job nonetheless!

Thank you, and yes, LDD seriously needs more Harry Potter-related stickers & prints!

Love it, I always wanted the motorized Hogwarts Express when it came out with the third movie. I wish they had included more coach cars with the newer train :sceptic:

Thanks! I too wanted the motorized Hogwarts Express, but it really wouldn't work if released today: besides the obvious Power Functions upgrade / parts changes, the 3 wheel tender would not work as it bends the rails with the middle wheel. Tons of great train builders have come up with way better 3 wheel designs than this, but why didn't LEGO?

Anyway, here is my newest MOD:

15456678246_9cae36d478_z.jpg

Please see the first post for the LDD file!

Sorry for the double post, but I have updated models to post!

16679145229_ca2cac9981_z.jpg

I have updated and improved the first post to include new / updated LDD files, new pictures and new features.