Here I would like to share with you a Lord of the Rings MOC that I have been working on for quite some time now. Here I present to you my take on the most fearsome of demons from Middle Earth, the Balrog:

15082748728_253990d8c5_c.jpg

LEGO Lord of the Rings - Balrog by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

15246307906_39e033816c_c.jpg

15246305316_890eb27ccc_c.jpg

This beast contains over a thousand parts and is very poseable and can stand up on it's own two feet despite being relatively heavy. The chain which I used to represent the Balrog's whip is held up by means of craft wire, but other than that, it is completely purist.

The final model ended up being mostly dark bluish grey as you can see. Black may have been better suited to it, but some of the vital textural parts used on the arms and legs just do not exist in black, hence the colour choice here.

A gallery containing more pictures and a special fire effect POV-Ray render can be found in this Flickr album, near the bottom.

If you would like the LDD file, it is here. Note that most of the flames are missing here.

I do hope to eventually build the entire scene with the Balrog from the Mines of Moria sequence of Fellowship of the Ring, so stay tuned...

Thanks for looking, and I hope you enjoyed looking at this MOC! :grin:

I love the MOC! ^^

The only suggestion i have is to shorten or widen out the wings, they look a bit tall/out of proportions of the character. :P

Otherwise, it's brilliant! :D

Awesome job! However it looks nothing like a Balrog. It can just be a made up creature and that would be better. It is still a great moc just not a great balfog.

Cheers.

Awesome job! However it looks nothing like a Balrog. It can just be a made up creature and that would be better. It is still a great moc just not a great balfog.

Cheers.

I agree with this. An impressive build, but it looks more like an oversized crossbreed between a Rock Raider monster and a Mixel. But impressive nonetheless!

Cheers.

Hey now, a balrog is open to interpretations, being from a word book, y'know? Yes, it's inspired by the film interpretation, and it doesn't maybe fit in cleanly with the movie aesthetics, but it's in line with a lot of illustrations you'll see for Tolkien - if you look at all the different published illustrations for characters in The Hobbit for example, they can get real kooky and vary a lot in style and overall design.

So I guess I'm saying a Lego model doesn't always have to be a replica, it can be your own interpretation, your own illustration.

Looks great, TheOneVeyronian! I always wanna try a balrog but I never get started on one. Yours has a good bulk and rockiness, it's full of character and really coherent.

... an oversized crossbreed between a Rock Raider monster and a Mixel...

Haha, great description. I do see those styles in there.

Edited by SpiderSpaceman

It's definitely a cool looking MOC, but not what most people picture when they think of a Balrog. The huge over sized head and wings coupled with the small body give it a little more comical look.