Sariel

Help needed - looking for 3rd party tires

Guys,

I know a lot of you have delved into the area of tires from RC models that fit LEGO rims. It's unknown territory for me, so I'd like to ask for suggestions: I'm looking for tires that would match the look of Tumbler's rear tires. Ideally, they should be about 13 studs (104mm) in diameter, 6 studs (48mm) wide and fit some unmodified black LEGO rims. Thanks!

tumbler-back.jpg

I reckon the closest you will get are Ansmann 1.9" tire which is what I use for a lot of my mocs as they are awesome tires!

Measuring the tire in front of me I get 106mm dia, with a width of 37mm tho.

Any 1.9" should fit the rim you are using tho. Hope that helps. :laugh:

C24752BLACK.jpg

Or perhaps this would work better.

http://store.rc4wd.com/Rock-Crusher-II-XT-19-Tires_p_688.html

Edited by Doc_Brown

If you search 1.9" rc tires on ebay you can pickup a set of 4 from china for around $20 free postage. They are nearly identical to the tumbler's tread surprisingly. They just about fit the rim in width but are a few mm off, however, they can be stretched a little but it deforms slightly. They also have foam inside. Here is the link: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=191238696068

As said before ansmann are also good but they are more expensive. Another option is axial ripsaws which look awesome VK technic uses them. Hoped this helped:)

These Rock Crushers do look mean, but I think the edges are shaped differently from Tumbler's.

If you search 1.9" rc tires on ebay you can pickup a set of 4 from china for around $20 free postage. They are nearly identical to the tumbler's tread surprisingly.

Wow, these look amazingly accurate, thanks!

Those are 96mm, too small. I got a similar set and don't fit well. Look for the 106mm ones.

You mean they don't sit on the LEGO rim that well? I will look for the larger ones, thanks. In any case, I suppose too small is better than too bit - I can always try to stretch them a bit.

there is a thread on 3rd party tyres for lego rims - a quick search will help you find it soon enough...

Yes sir, I'm aware of this thread, as well as of the fact that it's 15 pages long. Hence my quick question for a few suggestions.

PS. Looking at some blueprints, these tires can be even 120 mm big.

Edited by Sariel

1.9 isnt an exact match for Lego rims hence the tire needs to stretch. 96mm is smaller has less rubber to properly stretch and scales to a bit too narrow tire to properly sit on both sides of the rim... whatever, see it yourself.

106 vs 96

Edited by aol000xw

Anyone has tested some "slick" tires?

And thanks aol000xw for the ebay link, I might order those soon :D!

I can't answer anything, but I think it will have been better to ask that in the 3rd party tyres topic (not to search it by yourself, but to post this) so we can have all info in one place. Won't it be better to merge the topics?

Sariel,

I bought a set of tires from Ebay, and posted pictures in another forum, but I'll add them here as well.

Vaterra VTR41004 1.9 Interco SS TSL Tire (2) SlickRock

tumbler_tires_1.jpg

tumbler_tires_2.jpg

I put them on the actual model, and they look awesome! Same dimensions as the unimog tires by within a mm.

Edit: I am talking about gmshades ones

Those are 96x35 same size as the ones Nalyd997 linked and the smaller ones in my pictures. I guess that is why in the top view yours look a bit too stretched.

However unlike mine even if stretched those seem to fit, perhaps due to a softer rubber or a slightly bigger inner diameter? So I stand corrected, 96x35 isn't out of the question, just a risky bet perhaps.

Yeah, Tumbler is an option if I can get the rear wheels right. Thanks for suggestions, some of the stuff you liked is sold out already.

How about these? The tread looks right to me, anybody has these?

http://www.ebay.com/...sd=221494186331

All these chinese tires look the same to me

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-RC-1-10-Model-Car-Climbing-Rock-Crawler-Rubber-108mm-1-9-Tires-Tyre-7032-/171460853766?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27ebdd0006

Edited by aol000xw

The real Tumbler uses "Super Swampers" made by Interco. Plenty of R/C tire manufacturers make this very tire, so just search for Interco Super Swamper and buy one with the right inside diameter.

the risk that it doesnt fit is very low. 1.9 inch tires does have a smaller inner diameter than the unimog tires so the have a very good contact to the rim.

1.9 refers to the inner diameter and even if It isn't perfect as Lego rims are 56mm the wheel squezzes a bit and fits. The perfect match would probably be 52 mm inner diameter tire instead of 48mm (1.9") but it works.

However those are 44mm wide vs 34mm of the Lego rims, but wider isn't necessarely so bad, I think they can probably fit but is hard to tell.