Sign in to follow this  
Rail Co

Lucky LEGO Train Finds

Hey Guys! Everyone has that one story where they find a set for a great price! This is the place to share it! I love to hear stories like these as it also brings up what sites so others may be able to find deals there too! It can be anywhere from when you were a child to present, 60's, 70's, etc.

I will start!

I bought an MISB 4533 (9v Era Snow plow) off ebay for about $35 this year, the cheapest I have seen them was $45 dollars. Saved me $10 (Hopefully a good investment)

15043130350_5cf46be134.jpgSealed 4533 by Railco1, on Flickr

Also on ebay I got an MISB 4541 Road and Rail, for $40 the cheapest I have seen being sold is $65, savings of $25!

15043119319_5091ed1de8.jpgSealed 4541 by Railco1, on Flickr

I cannot wait to hear everyone's stories. This is meant to be fun and an enjoyable thread.

Enjoy!

-RailCo

[Moderators! this is meant to be an on going topic so if people post on it a year late, that should be okay]

A couple years ago I won and ebay auction of 1991's 4558 Metroliner and 93's 4547 Club Car for $150+$20 for shipping. Both relative rarities on ebay, especially considering that I got both for the original MSRP for the Metroliner, alone at $149. The only time I had previously seen the Club Car was anywhere from $50-100. So all in all, a good day. Other good auction winnings included a couple Santa Fe cars for under $40/each, much lower than other auctions I had followed, as well and a BNIB 10083 Hobby Train for $120 :classic:

I think I was the only one to luck out with VTN.....................................

HE's were 93$ or so each, ordered two. Absolutely nothing from them and then three came to the house within a couple weeks

I was lucky, DO NOT ORDER from anything that says VTN in the site, everyone else got scammed that I am aware of. Also credit card fraud occured later as well(although cannot confirm it was due to them)

Now the one that was the biggest kick in the junk, I won a lot of 40+pounds of Lego for about 320$ shipped, not so bad. I did find a mostly intact HE in there along with some track, but the killer was I have the doors for the passenger car that comes with the Emerald Night, but it is not in there. So close yet so far away lol

Edited by v6TransAM

About 5 years ago I bought 2 LE Santa Fe Loco's (10020) and 5 of the train cars (2x of 10022 and 3x of 10025) for $100 total. Complete sets, with boxes, and instructions.

I also found 1x 10157 loco and 3x 10158 cars in a box along with Cafe Corner and UCS Y-Wing which I bought for $200. Sometimes you find great deals!!

won a MISB 10013 Cargo Wagon for $40 shipped. It's officially the oldest sealed set I own now.

Also got 79111 Constitution Train Chase for $55 shipped from successfully applying stacking promotions at Target.

In my local area there was a gentleman advertising an unboxed Metroliner and the Red Crocile Loco.. and didnt want a penny for them, just wanted to give them to a good home...

Missed it by half an hour!!!

But then I did pick up a 10kg lego collection and buried inside was the Yellow Cargo Train and Red Passenger train. £90 plus driving 30mins to collect...

Last year I got a used complete with box and instructions Emerald Night for £95 from gumtree. I sold the coach for £80 on Ebay, so got the loco for a net cost of £15....

That coach is in no way worth £80! For pieces and design, I *might* pay £15 for it... Had I not designed my own steam era coaches that are worth the price.

I bought a tub of second hand Lego for $30Aud at a garage sale, in the tub was three 9volt train motors in great working order. i was pretty happy with that.

That coach is in no way worth £80! For pieces and design, I *might* pay £15 for it... Had I not designed my own steam era coaches that are worth the price.

Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, not what you think it is. I did my research, and put it up with a BIN for the typical asking price for it on bricklink. It was snapped up fairly quickly suggesting in reality it was probably worth even more, not less!

Edited by Heppeng

A couple years ago I was building a 10133 BNSF piece by piece via spare parts and bricklink. One of the last things I needed were the elusive and exclusive orange window pieces

http://www.bricklink...Item.asp?P=2377

At the time the alternate part (60032) did not yet exist in orange, so I was stuck waiting and watching and for months either nobody had any for sale or they were crazy expensive (like the currently listed ones are $10-$15 each!). I was ordering some other pieces for my projects and happened to ask the seller if he by any chance had the orange windows. To both his surprise and mine he discovered that he did indeed have the six needed orange windows I was looking for...he had somehow forgotten to put them up for sale in his store. What's more, he offered them to me at a very reasonable price (I want to say something like $1.60 each). That was a very good day.

Edited by domboy

I found in a swap market a grey remote-controlled 12V switch point for 8 €; usually the price for the manual ones is already more than that. The seller was surprised when I asked him if it was in working condition (and it was working indeed).

I bought a large lot of doors & windows on Ebay for something like 12 € : http://i.imgur.com/EZ7rl8P.jpg

amongst there, two black 1x2x2 windows used only in old 12V trains, and so rather pricey on Bricklink (worth the whole lot).

Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, not what you think it is. I did my research, and put it up with a BIN for the typical asking price for it on bricklink. It was snapped up fairly quickly suggesting in reality it was probably worth even more, not less!

They do often go for crazy prices - mind you, the tan windows alone on BrickLink make this fairly pricey choice for a self-build....

Yeah, It's why my blood and custard coaches are less custard and more white... those windows are stupid expensive, and not worth it.

A couple years ago I was building a 10133 BNSF piece by piece via spare parts and bricklink. One of the last things I needed were the elusive and exclusive orange window pieces

http://www.bricklink...Item.asp?P=2377

At the time the alternate part (60032) did not yet exist in orange, so I was stuck waiting and watching and for months either nobody had any for sale or they were crazy expensive (like the currently listed ones are $10-$15 each!).

I'm actually really glad you posted this! I did not realize an alternate part existed. I was pulling my hair out over how much a MOC I'm designing was going to cost...

This summer I was lucky (or at least I think I was) to find two new MISB 3677 Red Cargo Trains for €140.- each (so €280.- in total). I couldn't resist.

This summer I was lucky (or at least I think I was) to find two new MISB 3677 Red Cargo Trains for €140.- each (so €280.- in total). I couldn't resist.

Awesome deal...I remember I got mine for $180 + shipping

Last year, I was suffering from a summer flu and i was browsing the internet a bit - and i stumbled on the website of a toy dealer here in the Netherlands who offered the 3677 red cargo train for only 105 euros - with free delivery... I bought it immediately!

Last year, I was suffering from a summer flu and i was browsing the internet a bit - and i stumbled on the website of a toy dealer here in the Netherlands who offered the 3677 red cargo train for only 105 euros - with free delivery... I bought it immediately!

Congratulations. Lucky u..:-)