Lego Spy

What Video Game(s) are you playing?

Over the last couple of days I've been playing Transport Fever, its not normally my type of game but Steam had it on sale half price so I thought I'd get it and give it a go...definitely worth the £11 I paid for it (I had a couple of quid in my Steam wallet from items I'd sold on the market place) although I wouldn't have paid the the full price of £26.99. It is a good game and far more challenging than I thought it would be. I am shocked that this 10 year old PO* computer is able to run it considering the system specs the devs say is the minimum requirements.

Currently playing Superhot. If you haven't seen it, it's very stylized; enemies are red polygonal silhouettes, weapons and items are black, and the environment is white. It's a FPS and time only moves when you do. One shot kills enemies and yourself, but since guns need a split-second before firing again, you have to move frequently. It's almost as much of a puzzle game as it is an action game, and the story has interesting 1984-like overtones without giving you very many details. Highly interesting.

Red Dead Redemption 2

For many this is going to be far too slowly paced but I personally adore it.

This might perhaps be one of the greatest open world games ever made. 

Edited by Forresto

7 hours ago, Forresto said:

Red Dead Redemption 2

For many this is going to be far too slowly paced but I personally adore it.

This might perhaps be one of the greatest open world games ever made. 

I got that game in the mail the other day, but I've been stuck playing Dragon Quest Builders on the Switch instead.  Really good game.

6 hours ago, x105Black said:

I got that game in the mail the other day, but I've been stuck playing Dragon Quest Builders on the Switch instead.  Really good game.

I've had that game on my radar for a while for ps4, but I've not yet picked it up. What are some thoughts you have on it?

16 hours ago, BaneShake said:

I've had that game on my radar for a while for ps4, but I've not yet picked it up. What are some thoughts you have on it?

I'm not too far into it yet, but I'm having a lot of fun.  It's like Minecraft with a story.  Less open-ended, more of an RPG.  There are some really interesting techniques that I wish were included in Minecraft, actually.  But as similar as the games are, they are also very different.  It's definitely worth checking out.  Maybe watch some gameplay videos before pulling the trigger on buying it.

The Last Of Us. I played the remastered version in PS4. Fantastic game with ab incredible story. Lots of time in games I will come to difficult sections and just get annoyed, but this one I had fun trying to eliminate the end in my way. Like Batman: Arkham City I felt rewarded instead of frustrated after completing a hard section. Exited for the second game and where the story goes.

Decided to pop Saints Row IV back in, just to work on completing stuff from my save file from a few years back. For anyone not familiar with the series, it is a GTA-type spoof that got more and more over the top with each entry. The original was pretty grounded, although a noticeably sillier game than GTA (also with normal free-aim third person mechanics before GTA adopted them, interestingly enough); the second game introduced huge amounts of customization, and made much of the action and humor more over-the-top than before; the third game broke out into outright zaniness and outlandishness, introducing straight-up science fiction and some truly bonkers humor. The fourth, and final "main game in the series, truly takes the cake; your customized gang-leader is elected president of the US, an alien empire shows up and puts you into what is basically the matrix, and your pals hack it to give you super powers while in the simulation. It's definitely not nearly as high-budget as GTA V, for example, but I absolutely adore these games.

What I love about the series is that, despite the rapidly increasing weirdness the series embraced, it also managed to pull off really strong character work and story, especially 2 and IV. 2 was not afraid to show off some darker, more tragic, or more monstrous sides to the characters, reminding you that these gangsters are clearly still doing villainous things. The Third, while not quite as finessed with the story as the previous game, did do a very good job exploring the central concept: have the Saints, moving into more publicly popular arenas, gone through legitimate growth, or are they just losing their soul and becoming more artificial caricatures of themselves? And the fourth game, despite being one of the silliest premises in the entire medium of gaming, is written with remarkable depth. It becomes an outright character study at the same time as it is still a comedy; it tackles themes like how survivor's guilt can change someone, or how a supposed betrayal is far more nuanced than just blaming one side of the problem. It has one of the best-written plots from any game across the entire year, and it came out the same year as The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite! Do try not to attack me too hard, but I'd even go so far as to say that this game's story is better than GTA V's frankly overrated main plot.

I highly recommend giving the series a try; read a quick summary of the first game (you'll have to just skip it if you only have playstation, 'cuz it only appeared on Xbox consoles), start with the second, and give the games a whirl. They're truly worth your while.

Lately (as in the past few months), when I play video games, I tend to rotate between Final Fantasy XIV, Battlefield 1, Minecraft & since it just came out, Battlefield V.  As a matter of fact, I just finished recording my latest episode of my Wak Ká Muúl Chronicles Minecraft let's play series & should hopefully have it edited & uploaded sometime either tonight or tomorrow morning...

I've spent the last few days playing an evil playthrough of Infamous: Second Son. I played it first, with Good alignment, a couple of years back, and am now playing through to 100% this one and get the platinum trophy. It's probably just where my mind is currently as compared to back then, but I am appreciating the game more now than I did then.

I'm playing through Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the first time. As much as I hate current day Konami, they have some classic games, and this is one of them. I'm really loving it's emphasis on exploration, and the soundtrack is amazing. 

Slowly, I've been playing through the reboot/remake of Ratchet & Clank, hopping on every few days and beating a little bit more. It's fun, and very pretty, but I feel like it's a little more sanitized than it should be.

I'm currently grinding the Division so I can purchase the new one that just was released for PS4 (not too long ago). Super excited.