ClassicTrains

7725 - old train, new bricks

Guess I need to see if I still have all the pieces for mine!

Do you have a brick-piece list for the set? I saw the doors yesterday, and the rest should be there.. all but the motors.. :-/

Yes, I used this inventory list here:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=7725-1

Are You going to bring your 7725 back to life? If You succeed, post us some pictures! I hope You will find the motor or manage to get one! :wink:

I'm curious to see the final thing I have been following this project for awhile! I am wondering how much you saved (or not with all the sealed items!). Cannot wait to see the thing built up maybe a video of a nice new motor getting it's first scratches on the contacts (meaning I would love to see it running).

Great Project!!!

-RailCo

Thanks!! :sweet: I plan to make some videos too, my camera is an older DSLR which cannot make any moving picture, maybe I'll try it with my phone (quality is not the best), or if my friend brings his camera, then maybe we can even make some better video. :classic:

Yes, I used this inventory list here:

http://www.bricklink...nv.asp?S=7725-1

Are You going to bring your 7725 back to life? If You succeed, post us some pictures! I hope You will find the motor or manage to get one! :wink:

Thanks, managed to re-build the 2. & 3. car!

BTW: It must be a special danish version, as the stickers says 'DSB'* and not 'DB' as the international version does, as far as I know

But someone painted grafitti on it... ;-)

16568348594_fe98de9d96_s.jpgLEGO Train 7725 DK 1 by Marook, on Flickr

17003255230_7ac85a3c0e_s.jpgLEGO Train 7725 DK 3 by Marook, on Flickr

*DSB = Danske Stats Baner (National Danish Railroads)

BTW: It must be a special danish version, as the stickers says 'DSB'* and not 'DB' as the international version does, as far as I know

I like your EOL bumper, Marook! And thanks for putting up some pics on your Flickr account that show how it works.

Hmmmm, now you guys will have both built your 7725's by the end of the weekend, I am getting itchy to build mine too!!!!

Hi Friends,

the train is ready and moving!! :grin: :grin: :grin: My friend also came over here and we built it together, he will have some pictures about the process. I will post them as soon as I get them too! By then, I can show You the train as it is now, because I made some pictures too (only with my phone, so quality is by far not the best). :classic:

Things that amazed me during the build:

- Even some of the bricks which came in service packs or unopened boxes are sometimes not perfect, there are some light scratch marks on them (I had now plenty of windscreens for example, but it gave us hard time to find the two which are in the best condition); anyway, the train looks shiny and awesome when built! It's like a dream! :blush:

- The motor moved perfectly even for the first time, slow speed works like charm too: no scattering whatever, just flowless, slow motion. This motor really is in a perfect condition, even if it has never moved before and stood still in a box for about 30 years! :thumbup:

- What surprised me the most: the tracks. I have some old 4,5V (gray) tracks for my used, older models, but they are very rigid and brittle, a tiny bad move is enough and the sleepers break; with these (new 12V) tracks, nothing like this happens: none of them are brittle, I could put the track together without any effort or danger of breaking something: it really *is* a track that was kept in a dark place probably, unbelievable to see this in 2015, they are like they were in the '80-ies! :laugh: Amazing!!!

I will update You with some picture later, but until then:

I wish You all a nice evening! :classic:

Very nice train!! I hope You can build the first car soon too! :classic::thumbup:

I have uploaded some pictures of the final parts of the build. (Pictures of building the train itself will follow later on.)

Here, the train is ready, waiting for its stickers to be applied. :classic:

17200159492_bac9e1cec2_c.jpg

I was pretty anxious before putting the stickers on, because I wanted them to be as perfect as possible, just as on the pictures of a catalogue. :classic: It is not perfect, but not bad either:

17014282530_17559476b1_c.jpg

17175876726_7ce98bc3be_c.jpg

17014281520_99e374f94f_c.jpg

17015661649_76005d6932_c.jpg

The track is still sealed at this point:

17015661239_0b6446e9b1_c.jpg

It was really amazing, how easy it was to build the track, because these sleepers and rails are still very flexible:

16994379117_a50f2ac853_c.jpg

On this picture, it's like a 4,5V track :) no conductor rails yet:

17014066528_2f183c978a_c.jpg

I made the whole circle of conductor rail first, without attaching it down to the sleepers; they were attached to the track only afterwards:

16579371844_fb73149ec0_c.jpg

...and then it was ready :classic:

17200155952_52dd21ac33_c.jpg

I cleaned the track (just to remove any fingerprints during building the track), and then there was only one thing left: I built the control arm for the transformer :wub:

17015659309_8d138dd816_c.jpg

The train is on the track at last!! :grin:

17175873536_7f062a08db_c.jpg

Very nice train!! I hope You can build the first car soon too! :classic::thumbup:

Well, I need to replace the 12v motor with PF and then it seems I'm missing two windows and the windscreen, but maybe I can find those.. one window frame is missing the glass... :-/

And a final shot of the train, from a side view:

17014065288_d6b0b1ed66_c.jpg

And - though I posted it previously - here is my train, running its first circles! :wub:

Edited by ClassicTrains

It's a beautiful view to see this classic train built with shiny, fresh bricks. I really like to see the interest there is for this wonderful little local train, and how people have built it in both classic red as well as other colourschemes. Though I have no plans to build this particular train, it still gives me a wish to do so - in one form or another.

I like your EOL bumper, Marook! And thanks for putting up some pics on your Flickr account that show how it works.

Oh, thanks! It's a MOD of the MOD in RainBriks v7, as noted here:

Here are some more pictures as I promised, my friend made these during building. :classic:

Before starting, we prepared everything:

17022243589_abea1b2af1_c.jpg

Original rubber rims, they were in the box of the train motor:

17020871310_ca735bbd93_c.jpg

First car is beginning to take shape:

17000980297_f9411c79bd_c.jpg

17182477446_3244d29746_c.jpg

...and it's ready :classic: We removed the magnet coupler in the front later, as it should not be there according to the instructions :laugh:

17000979827_94ec29a5f4_c.jpg

Middle car:

17206743372_d8df0454e8_c.jpg

17022241209_5a9864e9c0_c.jpg

...and this one's ready too :wub:

17020661478_297d63820d_c.jpg

Last car; instrument panel was not new though, but in very nice condition:

17000978087_b0aa1553b1_c.jpg

16585955934_e59a6a535e_c.jpg

...and the train is ready! :sweet:

17000977627_87244234a3_c.jpg

Edited by ClassicTrains

Well, I need to replace the 12v motor with PF and then it seems I'm missing two windows and the windscreen, but maybe I can find those.. one window frame is missing the glass... :-/

Are You gonna make a PF version?? If so, then I would like to see it and how You manage to fit all the PF stuff in there! :classic: I have plans to make a PF version too, but of course not with my "new" train: for that I would like to buy some used 7725 later. This one will probably never be disassembled any more. :classic:

Are You gonna make a PF version?? If so, then I would like to see it and how You manage to fit all the PF stuff in there! :classic: I have plans to make a PF version too, but of course not with my "new" train: for that I would like to buy some used 7725 later. This one will probably never be disassembled any more. :classic:

I need to save up some $ for another SBrick for control (hate the IR..) and PF parts first, but will have to make it work at some point.. :-)

It could be just me, but what amazes me the most about those photos is the vibrancy of the colors on some of those new old bricks!!! As I said, it could just be me, but the red bricks just looks so, so, so red!!! Compared to the bricks made these days that almost have a translucent effect.

And the old grey colors that make up the track and sleepers look so clean! They almost look like light-bluish grey and dark-bluish grey. Very impressive.

I have all the parts to build my copy of the 7725 - I just need to find the time. Unfortunately, I went with new red bricks and light-bluish grey for the slope bricks (cheaper), and, after seeing these photos I wish I had made the effort like you did!!!!

Jealousy isn't even the correct word right now!!!!

I don't think you need to write a review, but, I actually think this thread should be bumped up to the top of the Train Tech Forum as a guide for anyone out there who wants to go through the effort of creating an "old as new" set via Bricklink.

It's inspiring... :laugh:

Absolutely fantastic idea, thread, parts collection and finally build! Projects like this can be better than getting a new set, with all the anticipation and BrickLink hunting. I think you have inspired me to add some more trains from the 12v era to the 7735 Freight Train I already have.

A huge, huge thank you for sharing this project with us in such detail :classic:

My bank account will suffer from reading this thread!

Wonderful project.

One of the trains I wanted as a child, but never had

The sound of the 12v brings back memories of the metal smell that comes after a few minutes of running. My Blue era trains still work, but unfortunately gets to see little light due to other projects.

Thanks for sharing!

The sound of the 12v brings back memories of the metal smell that comes after a few minutes of running.

That smell is in fact Ozone, which is created by the sparks between the pick ups and rails ionising the air.

Thank You for all the compliments, it is really good to see that many of You followed the project and maybe I could even inspire some of You to try and do something similar! :classic: Since then, I have packed the train in a safe, dark place with no UV whatsoever, I want to remain as shiny as it is now. The only weak part is the factory rubber rims, as it turned out: even after a few circles, it started to slightly disintegrate (no heavy wear, just tiny pieces falling off), so I will not make run too much probably. Once I will have the furniture for it, it will be a piece for display. :classic:

Classic Trains ..... many of the 1970s and 1980s train sets came with large sticker sheets with stickers for almost a dozen country specific rail companies. The DB (Deutsche Bahn) is the default image on the boxes and instructions, since (then) West Germany was the largest LEGO market for 12V trains.

Here is a sticker sheet for the 7725, although it is missing a few (including DSB).....

204464.jpg

Here is the sticker sheet for the 7740 Intercity Train, which again allows you to use the stickers of your local country for your build....

252983.jpg

In my Eurobricks thread about getting 4.5V and 12V box images of old sets for my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide, I show several train sets that come in multiple languages on one box (the 7725 also did)... where there are 3 box top versions, each with 3 different languages on the box. All box top versions still show the default German DB images, as do the common (no language) instructions...

http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=108675

Edited by LEGO Historian

Classic Trains ..... many of the 1970s and 1980s train sets came with large sticker sheets with stickers for almost a dozen country specific rail companies....

Ah, didn't remember that.. Thanks!