Robert8

What would you like for the next Castle line?

2 hours ago, Zilcho said:

What was the ToA?

Like others I really want a fantasy theme. Some more yellow elves would be great to add to the CMF ones we already have.

Temple of Airjitzu, from Ninjago. 

I want some variety in the faction animal crests, we can't just keep changing the colors of the Lions and Dragons forever...

8 minutes ago, Umbra-Manis said:

I want some variety in the faction animal crests, we can't just keep changing the colors of the Lions and Dragons forever...

Some variety would be nice.  There are some factions that would be nice to have fleshed out.  For example, the Bear faction that the Frightening Knight is a part of could use some more flavor.  The Boar faction that the Evil Knight is a part of could also use some additions, although the Battle Dwarf looks like he might be allied with him.  I'm a huge Forestmen fan, so I'd like to see the Stag faction fleshed out.  I'd also like to see the Unicorn faction get some more love.

That said, I'd personally love a return to the classics with the 1978 factions, or with the Lion, Falcon, and Dragon factions.  Lions are a bit overdone, I've suggested Griffins in the past.  Maybe it's through a marriage between the Lions and Falcons.  Or maybe we could just get a Crowned Lion combining the Crowns and Lions (who I always assumed were the same faction to begin with).

A new unicorn crest would be amazing

Also, I would like them to do a King Arthur theme, and each of the 12 knights could have a different animal crest, that way they would be collectible

5 hours ago, x105Black said:

Or maybe we could just get a Crowned Lion combining the Crowns and Lions (who I always assumed were the same faction to begin with).

Isn't that exactly what we had in 2013?

But in general, I'm liking a lot of these heraldry ideas. If Nexo Knights is any indication, then kids still consider falcons, bulls, horses, and foxes/wolves "cool" heraldic animals. Lions and dragons too of course, but they're definitely not the only options.

Anybody got any ideas about future Castle color schemes? I know neutral colors like black and grey are sort of par for the course, and I don't really expect that to change (as much as I prefer brighter color schemes), but how about accent colors? Green could be interesting, I don't think any "good guy" Castle faction has ever used green accents. Or maybe some yellow or orange Tudor-style architecture like in https://brickset.com/sets/6074-1/Black-Falcon-s-Fortress or https://brickset.com/sets/20214-1/Adventure-Designer?

It would also be neat if a new Castle theme could incorporate more curves than past LEGO castles, which even in recent years have been pretty angular. There are a lot of really cool curved parts these days… panels, bricks, plates, tiles, you name it! Curves could also be a good way to help a new Castle theme stand out more from Nexo Knights, which really plays up the sharp angles even more than a lot of other sci-fi themes do.

Just as an example of what's possible (this is not necessarily ideal or realistic, just something I doodled earlier this year):

34311165305_e05d68e712.jpg

Edited by Aanchir

The accents could be in any colour, but apart from the Kingdoms dark green, TLG seems to fall back on red & blue every time. I would like to have a different accent colour and a not lion/dragon/crown crest. If they can manage that, I don't care if the sets are the same as every single previous theme release... humans v humans I wouldn't care. Just give me some normal knights in normal castles this time, new colour & crest and I will be happy.

4 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Isn't that exactly what we had in 2013?

Well, I guess it goes to show how much people pay attention to 2013.  I even have some of these sets, and liked them.  But anyways, that faction could continue.  Maybe a conflict within the house, with a Crowned Lion vs a Lion, using the and Blue lion color schemes.

4 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Anybody got any ideas about future Castle color schemes? I know neutral colors like black and grey are sort of par for the course, and I don't really expect that to change (as much as I prefer brighter color schemes), but how about accent colors? Green could be interesting, I don't think any "good guy" Castle faction has ever used green accents. Or maybe some yellow or orange Tudor-style architecture like in https://brickset.com/sets/6074-1/Black-Falcon-s-Fortress or https://brickset.com/sets/20214-1/Adventure-Designer?

When it comes to color, I agree.  Different colors could be cool.  I'd like to see a purple "good" faction, as purple is so often used for "bad" faction.  So dark purple.  But that goes to my other point.  You prefer the brighter colors, but I prefer the dark.  So I'm saying I would love more dark orange, dark green, dark brown, dark blue, dark red, and dark grey.  Also some tan and dark tan would be nice.  And I love the Wolfpack, and I love the Rogue CMF, but I'd like to see a more dark brown, dark red, and black Wolfpack faction.  And let them ride Wargs / Dire Wolves...

Edited by x105Black

What about a dragon hunters theme, revolving around a rouge band of bounty hunters tracking down dragons for capture and/or elimination for a reward? I'd imagine these rouges be more akin to forest men than knights, though a cross between the two archetypes would be kind of cool.

Now not in a Nexo Knights sort of way, but I suppose such a theme could also equip our heroes with some steampunk styled combatcraft, including something like a siege tower/battering ram mech with fireball catapults. 

What would you think of such theme, and also, would it be attractive to kids?

Edited by Digger of Bricks

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

What about a dragon hunters theme?

Sounds like a spin on Monster Hunter (video game).  I don't have an opinion on if that's good or bad, just that it reminds me of it.

My only concern with something like this (as you sort of started going into) is that I would envision Lego taking that sort of theme in a vehicle-heavy direction, which is precisely what I don't want from a Castle theme.  If they could do it more location-based, I'd be more interested.

I don't mind vehicles altogether, but I do mind the way Lego has approached vehicles in the past several years.  It seems they either go WAAAAY overboard with a ton of vehicles, with plenty of them being over-the-top concepts....or they recycle the same old handful of tired concepts from previous themes.  There has to be a nice middle ground of a couple classic vehicles, along with a couple new vehicles (that are not too outlandish) , to complement a theme with several location-based sets (not to forget minifigure-based sets as well).

Ideas

> King Arthur theme - a bad guy faction

> Knights vs Vikings - two equal factions no baddies

>Knights vs barbarians - two equal factions no baddies

> 100 years war Knights vs Knights - two equal factions no baddies

factions

> Fleur de lis

> Unicorn

> fox

> Eagle

> moon

> goose

> stag

> horse

> bear

> war hammer

> sun

> trident

I would like to see something new.  Like dark elves.  Or even use the minotaurs or the cyclops from the cmf's with a new print as the bad guys or even come up with an entirely new evil faction like demons or ghouls.  Then use good elves, dwarves and men to battle the evil factions.  Use 2 evil factions and 3 good factions.  maybe even get griffons and new dragons.  I know that's alot but i can dream.  

9 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

What about a dragon hunters theme, revolving around a rouge band of bounty hunters tracking down dragons for capture and/or elimination for a reward? I'd imagine these rouges be more akin to forest men than knights, though a cross between the two archetypes would be kind of cool.

I love the idea of a Dragon Hunter's theme.  A great excuse to pull out the Dragon molds and offer some new colors / prints!  Maybe make a new head mold or 2.  I just don't want an entire theme where the bulk of the set is building a brick-built dragon.  They don't look as good, and take up piece counts that could be used on nice structures.

3 hours ago, thetang22 said:

My only concern with something like this (as you sort of started going into) is that I would envision Lego taking that sort of theme in a vehicle-heavy direction, which is precisely what I don't want from a Castle theme.  If they could do it more location-based, I'd be more interested.

I don't mind vehicles altogether, but I do mind the way Lego has approached vehicles in the past several years.  It seems they either go WAAAAY overboard with a ton of vehicles, with plenty of them being over-the-top concepts....or they recycle the same old handful of tired concepts from previous themes.  There has to be a nice middle ground of a couple classic vehicles, along with a couple new vehicles (that are not too outlandish) , to complement a theme with several location-based sets (not to forget minifigure-based sets as well).

I also see how this can (negatively) become too vehicle-centric.  Perhaps it should be more of a shake-up of the Dragon Masters attacking good factions and civilians.  I think the civilians are an important part, here.

11 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

I would like to see something new.  Like dark elves.  Or even use the minotaurs or the cyclops from the cmf's with a new print as the bad guys or even come up with an entirely new evil faction like demons or ghouls.  Then use good elves, dwarves and men to battle the evil factions.  Use 2 evil factions and 3 good factions.  maybe even get griffons and new dragons.  I know that's alot but i can dream.  

Dark Elves could be cool.  I like the Minotaurs idea, as well.  I also love the idea of having multiple factions.  Even if it is spread out across a few waves, it would be wothwhile.

25 minutes ago, dgherko said:

factions

> Fleur de lis

> Unicorn

> fox

> Eagle

> moon

> goose

> stag

> horse

> bear

> war hammer

> sun

> trident

Those are all some pretty good faction ideas.  I'll add the griffon to the list...

15 hours ago, x105Black said:

Those are all some pretty good faction ideas.  I'll add the griffon to the list...

I was going to say the same thing.  I think Griffon is one of the more requested faction mascots.

16 hours ago, dgherko said:

Ideas

Factions ..........

I wouldn't mind a "White Tree" faction, especially if printed on the ovoid shield.

On 8/7/2017 at 0:09 PM, MAB said:

I wouldn't mind a "White Tree" faction, especially if printed on the ovoid shield.

That would be sneaky but it would have to look different than Tolkiens.  

12 hours ago, zoth33 said:

That would be sneaky but it would have to look different than Tolkiens.  

It would need to be different to Peter Jackson's version.

I'd be happy with a recolour of the Forest Maiden's shield.

2586pb005.png

This one, with a white print on either a grey or silver shield.

I just hope Lego will do a new Castle theme like Kingdoms, with two (or more) human factions with a nice castle. I really like the one from Kingdoms, and the ones after that seem to fall a little behind in terms of design and realism. But everything is better than Nexo:sick: Knights :tongue:

I just hope the next castles will have lots of pieces instead of entire prefabricated sections. Kings Castle and Black Monarchs Castle are still my favorite even though they had the single wall pieces. 

Edited by poppakap

On 9/4/2017 at 7:30 PM, poppakap said:

I just hope the next castles will have lots of pieces instead of entire prefabricated sections. Kings Castle and Black Monarchs Castle are still my favorite even though they had the single wall pieces. 

By Castle standards the latest few versions of the King's Castle have been reasonably parts-intensive. I'd love a LEGO castle that's as intricate as sets like 41180, 70323, or 70617, but I'm not sure I can see that happening unless the next Castle theme has a higher recommended age range than previous Castle themes.

In the meantime, Elves and Nexo Knights continue to do a much better job delivering livable castles than Castle sets ever have… Knighton Castle has beds for Robin, Ava, and all five knights, plus a small dining room, and even the much smaller Goblin King's Fortress has a foyer, study, and bedroom. I hope that the next iteration of Castle will follow suit. If a theme as flashy, aggressive, and play-feature-heavy as Nexo Knights can include the kind of "creature comforts" that make a castle feel like more than just a big ol' wall, then surely a more conventional castle can at least include a bedchamber or banquet table?

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

By Castle standards the latest few versions of the King's Castle have been reasonably parts-intensive. I'd love a LEGO castle that's as intricate as sets like 41180, 70323, or 70617, but I'm not sure I can see that happening unless the next Castle theme has a higher recommended age range than previous Castle themes.

In the meantime, Elves and Nexo Knights continue to do a much better job delivering livable castles than Castle sets ever have… Knighton Castle has beds for Robin, Ava, and all five knights, plus a small dining room, and even the much smaller Goblin King's Fortress has a foyer, study, and bedroom. I hope that the next iteration of Castle will follow suit. If a theme as flashy, aggressive, and play-feature-heavy as Nexo Knights can include the kind of "creature comforts" that make a castle feel like more than just a big ol' wall, then surely a more conventional castle can at least include a bedchamber or banquet table?

Castle quality varied wildly, the 2013 line was crap by most accounts; extremly generic and dare I say boring color palette? (Red and Blue is a bore).

Kingdoms however may not have featured an elaborate ''castle'', in fact I think that 7946 is too generic, but sets like Mill Village Raid, Kingdom Joust and I'm going to shove Medieval Market Village in this is what I personally want to see Lego get back to; scenery adds a lot to a theme's personality. 

A gothic medieval town theme would be great to that effect. Lego never dabbled much in that building style and knights with Teutonic gear cutting down the remnants of the Wolfpack would please a lot of people :classic:

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

You cite 70617 (Ninjago's Temple of the Ultimate Ultimate Weapon for those that don't want to click the link), but I'd prefer something like Ninjago City.

And yes, I do believe that the age recommendation for Castle should be increased at least to the level of Nexo Knights.

I see a number of good ideas, but if we can set aside the name Castle for a spell, I have an idea.

Fables, a theme centered around classical tales from various cultures. Mostly folklore, but some based on real historical figures and events.

Examples:

The Labors of Heracles (proper Grecian name) - A full wave could come out of this.
Jason and the Argonauts - A few sets including the Argo.
The Labyrinth
The Trojan Horse
Marathon
Beowulf - This could give a full wave. A Lego Grendel wouldn't be hard.
The Epic of Gilgamesh - Maybe, as I'm not as conversant with the material.
Journey to the West - I have little knowledge of Asian folklore, but material from this could be applicable, and has seen major media adaptations.
The Arthurian Saga - Obviously, but sanitized like everything else. The Welsh version is the way I'd go, so I can get a Taliesin minifig.
Robin Hood - Another obvious choice.
Vercingetorix - Gaul vs. Rome
Boudicca - Celts vs. Rome

This could be the overhaul that Lego historical fantasy needs. The varied subject matter would also give TLG the ability to avoid overlap with other themes.

Just now, gedren_y said:

I see a number of good ideas, but if we can set aside the name Castle for a spell, I have an idea.

Fables, a theme centered around classical tales from various cultures. Mostly folklore, but some based on real historical figures and events.

Examples:

The Labors of Heracles (proper Grecian name) - A full wave could come out of this.
Jason and the Argonauts - A few sets including the Argo.
The Labyrinth
The Trojan Horse
Marathon
Beowulf - This could give a full wave. A Lego Grendel wouldn't be hard.
The Epic of Gilgamesh - Maybe, as I'm not as conversant with the material.
Journey to the West - I have little knowledge of Asian folklore, but material from this could be applicable, and has seen major media adaptations.
The Arthurian Saga - Obviously, but sanitized like everything else. The Welsh version is the way I'd go, so I can get a Taliesin minifig.
Robin Hood - Another obvious choice.
Vercingetorix - Gaul vs. Rome
Boudicca - Celts vs. Rome

This could be the overhaul that Lego historical fantasy needs. The varied subject matter would also give TLG the ability to avoid overlap with other themes.

Good idea.

I really want an update of the original Yellow Castle figures. Those are great figures. 

42 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

Interesting idea, but I'd rather not have it supplant Castle.

As a subtheme, I think it would be nice to see these interspersed throughout the line.  In between each Castle theme iteration, these would be great.  That said, there are not enough traditional medieval concepts here (Arthurian and Robin Hood are probably the closest), and we could use some Arabian Nights or something similar.

But yes, it is an interesting concept, and one that I could see working occasionally.

I'm looking through all the castle sets.  I really think Lego could do something better. I want a castle that is like twice as big as the regular castles and has some rooms in it. Barracks, a throne room, armory, etc.