Robert8

What would you like for the next Castle line?

I think a lot of "action" fun can be had indoors as well. Yes, indoors are great for non-fighting scenes and play, but you can also have plenty of fighting indoors as well...its just that it would not revolve around the "vehicle fighting" that Lego seems so intent on pushing.

Think more to the romantic era of cinema with knights and rogues fighting in close combat within the castle walls...swinging from chandeliers and such. It could be as simple as a duel in a castle hallway (think Princess Bride with Inigo Montoya fighting soldiers in the castle hallways).

There is a LOT of potential for indoor sets, both peaceful and fighting scenes. Lego just needs to get over the idea that vehicles have to be a BIG part of any Castle theme.

Lego just needs to get over the idea that vehicles have to be a BIG part of any Castle theme.

Yes!

Lego just needs to get over the idea that vehicles have to be a BIG part of any Castle theme.

Exactly! That being said, I wouldn't like to see a Castle theme without any vehicles either. But TLG is overdoing it, especially with catapults. Having a carriage for each faction, one or two sets focused on a siege weapon (a detailed and working siege weapon, not a lame catapult or ballista that is made of 12 pieces) and perhaps a boat or ship is enough for one wave. Speaking of siege weapons, I've seen lots of catapults and ballistae, but I don't remember a battering ram in any of the Castle sets. I wonder why they haven't done it before, but I'd like to see one in future sets.

One thing that always bothers me is that they always include some type of siege weapon with the bigger castle sets. We don't need it, they should use those parts to make the castle itself better. If we want a siege weapon to attack the castle, we'll buy one of the siege weapon sets they insist on releasing.

Exactly! That being said, I wouldn't like to see a Castle theme without any vehicles either. But TLG is overdoing it, especially with catapults. Having a carriage for each faction, one or two sets focused on a siege weapon (a detailed and working siege weapon, not a lame catapult or ballista that is made of 12 pieces) and perhaps a boat or ship is enough for one wave. Speaking of siege weapons, I've seen lots of catapults and ballistae, but I don't remember a battering ram in any of the Castle sets. I wonder why they haven't done it before, but I'd like to see one in future sets.

There have been at least a couple battering rams.

http://brickset.com/sets/6062-1/Battering-Ram

http://brickset.com/sets/1971-1/Battering-Ram

I would really like to see a siege tower in particular. That is something TLG hasn't had in a set for a while.

Actually, more castles in this style would be great... *snip*

I'd even settle down to getting half of the interior details of that Disney Castle in a tower/blacksmith/stables/random building of a Castle set.

By the way, I'd remove the link, it has leaked pictures in it and I wouldn't want a fellow Guilds builder to get banned! :sweet:

Edited by Sorrelon

Well, something with more civilians again (like the Medieval Mill and such from a few years ago) instead of all knights would be nice

I like this idea as I loved the Medieval Market. A few sets that deal less with the knights and more with the peasants and noblemen would be awesome to help even out the battle scenes with cool medieval cities..

How about a seaside based Castle theme? I don't mean as in Pirates, but a medieval castle on the edge of the ocean kinda like that new police island set. Some boats (not ships) as the smaller sets, a siege engine (of course - how could they resist)...

How about a seaside based Castle theme? I don't mean as in Pirates, but a medieval castle on the edge of the ocean kinda like that new police island set. Some boats (not ships) as the smaller sets, a siege engine (of course - how could they resist)...

I would like that.

Sounds good, I'm in.

That's what I've been dreaming of for years! Fishing boats, fishermen huts, a cargo port for bigger boats and ships, a wharf and a small inn next to it, boats full of bandits on their way to raid the harbor, or even sea dragons and mermaids if they want some fantasy side to their sets... there are lots of possibilities, since TLG hardly produced any sea based Castle sets.

But, lets be realistic here. The earliest sea based Castle sets are 6017 King's Oarsmen and 6049 Viking Voyager, both released at 1987. Then we got 6018 Battle Dragon in 1990, 6057 Sea Serpent in 1992 (largest of the old Castle sea vessels and very well done with the limited part selection back then) , 1547 Black Knights Boat in 1993, 1804 Crossbow Boat in 1996. After that, TLG took a 9 years of break and released 8801 Knights' Attack Barge (which looks more like a part of a castle than a boat) and 8802 Dark Fortress Landing in 2005 and 8821 Rogue Knight Battleship in 2006 (being KKII sets, in my opinion, all three of them look horrible, while Dark Fortress Landing is somewhat acceptable, the other two are complete abominations). Then, finally we got 7029 Skeleton Ship Attack in 2007 and 7048 Troll Warship in 2008 during Fantasy Era. That makes 11 sea based Castle sets in 38 years, which isn't really much.

Speaking of siege engines, even they'd be welcome, since having them on sea vessels is somewhat uncommon as far Lego sets go. Unless, of course, they do them horribly like they did on Skeleton Ship Attack and Troll Warship. I really like both sets, with the exception of their siege weapons. The ballista on skeleton ship is weird and just impossible to aim, and while the ballista on troll warship is better in terms of accuracy, the way how orc operate it, it looks more like a missle platform than a ballista :tongue: (and the football stands with springs just kills it for me). I had to remove both of their siege weapons in the end. I'd rather have a good looking siege weapon that doesn't work than a working siege weapon which looks strange on a medieval fantasy ship.

Sadly they look like they are stickers :( Shore may be interesting, maybe like a crusade style like Saint Jean d'Acre or a Briton fishing faction vs vikings?

We could get a legit Castle vs. Pirates theme. The marriage of 2 classic themes :)

After all, I think a lot of people who bought into both lines basically mixed them anyway as though they went together in the first place.

We could get a legit Castle vs. Pirates theme. The marriage of 2 classic themes :)

After all, I think a lot of people who bought into both lines basically mixed them anyway as though they went together in the first place.

Wasn't that Vikings? If not, there's a third hypothetical faction for ya.

A big thing I'd like to see is NEW factions. I've got Red and Green Dragons, Blue and Dark Blue and Red Lions/Crowns... I need new Houses! I like that the two evil knights from CMF have Boar and Bear heraldry, so it'd be cool to get some fresh sigils and colors for future castles.

I'd like to see something like the Dwarves and Skeletons of Fantasy Era as a faction -- maybe TLG could do Elves next, since some time will have passed since LOTR. Again, the CMF Elf could serve as a nice jumping-off point.

I'm a big Dungeons & Dragons and Legend of Zelda geek, so I think it'd be cool to have some ruined temples/dungeons full of treasures and monsters, maybe with a boss monster at the end (who didn't turn their CMF Evil Wizard into a Mind Flayer?)

The last thing I'd love to see is an echo of what so many other people have said: furnishings and civilian life, a la Medieval Market Village and Kingdoms Joust. It's really fun to expand out your castle world and wonder what towns and villages your castle soldiers pass through on their way to fight / lay siege to one another.

I'd love to see civilian sets too. Maybe Lego could even do a destroyed/ruined village as a set, like it's the aftermath of an attack.

Wasn't that Vikings? If not, there's a third hypothetical faction for ya.

I was talking about the seaside castle idea that was mentioned, and introducing some pirates into it (ya know, because the castle would be right on the edge of the water) to have a legit combination of the 2 classic themes, where knights and pirates literally co-exist as though they are part of the same theme...because a lot of us did that with our Castle/Pirate Lego's when we were young anyway.

I was talking about the seaside castle idea that was mentioned, and introducing some pirates into it (ya know, because the castle would be right on the edge of the water) to have a legit combination of the 2 classic themes, where knights and pirates literally co-exist as though they are part of the same theme...because a lot of us did that with our Castle/Pirate Lego's when we were young anyway.

I know, I just thought pirates+castle...

I'll shut up now.

But yeah, I would love more factions; I had an idea for a goblin faction (again, using the CMFs for a springing point) where they would be masters of technology, kinda like in Warcraft.

I'd love to see civilian sets too. Maybe Lego could even do a destroyed/ruined village as a set, like it's the aftermath of an attack.

A lot of the Lord of the Ruins sets were ruins along this line. Personally, they turned into parts packs that I smashed to use in more interesting builds.

A great revival of Classic Era, like the 2010 Kingdoms line. I can't believe it's been 6 years already.

Lion Knights, Black Falcons, Forestmen, Wolf Pack. Both military and civilian buildings, ships, carriages, walls, towers and the good classic stuff.

I just saw this on Ideas, and immediately thought of this thread:

King Krentz's Castle Keep

2552200-o_1anbusjlng0qh7m8i469srhd7-full.jpg

It's everything an Ideas set should be. It's only 700 pieces, looks great, and doesn't try to use some crazy license or parts (although the armor on the knights is outdated). It's a tribute to the original yellow Castle set, and it's late designer.

I would change the colored visors, personally, but I love this Idea. It can be hard to make yellow work well in a castle design, but this one pulls it off. Even though I would really prefer tan, or even grey, this looks fantastic.

By the way, it's not mine. I supported it, and I hope you do too.

I would change some colours on that, and reverse the guards to mounted knights ratio, but it's not bad a model. Nice moc, okay Idea.