Robert8

What would you like for the next Castle line?

Well, something with more civilians again (like the Medieval Mill and such from a few years ago) instead of all knights would be nice

I'm afraid the end of the Lord of the Rings sets will send me back to the LEGO dark ages. The only theme I could see myself getting a set in would be the Forestmen - for nostalgia's sake.

Game of Thrones!! :tongue:

That would never happen, but it would be awesome

Copy that! If LotR is to end, I assume I'm quitting LEGO until they pick up Middle-Earth again or do Game of Thrones. Maybe I'll buy a couple of sets if I see some useful pieces to make my own Gondor soldiers, Witch-King, Éowyn, etc.

I might look at them if they do any, but I will be very disappointed if they do not see the LOTR line through

Being a fan of Castle Fantasy Era and Knights Kingdoms II, I would like to see them returning

I would like a Castle line based on King Arthur's legend.

With Merlin and Morgana le Fay the line would have that magical side that I loved in Fantasy Era.

And they could individualize the Knights of the Round Table by giving them a unique crest for each, something that I liked A LOT in Knights' Kingdom II

The minifigures could be King Arthur, Queen Guinevere, Merlin, Morgana le Fay, the Lady of the Lake, the Knights of the Round Table: Lancelot, Gawain, Galahad, etc.

A remake of some subthemes like Black Falcons, Black Knights, Forestmen or Dragon Masters would be pretty nice.

Ideas I like for future Castle themes:

Forestmen vs Black Falcons, updates of all involved (the shield and breastplate were nice starts, but the Falcon knight in the Kingdoms Joust set was still too "Green Dragon" for my taste)

Fantasy Revisited, expanding dwarves & trolls particularly while introducing Elves and perhaps some other humanoid faction, like goblins or kobolds or something

Kingdoms revisited; the Forestmen/Falcons could fit in there, too (or Wolfpack, or any number of others), hopefully with plenty of civilians... one of my biggest disappointments with Kingdoms was that there was, really, only one kingdom: the Lions. The Green Dragons seemed to be a rogue bunch of knights and their soldiers, and a wizard, nothing more. They had a few that could potentially be lords armed for battle, ostensibly fighting to conquer the Lions' kingdom or carve out their own kingdom within it, but I'd love to have seen more factions emerge, along with nobles not garbed for battle, other royals, merchants, peasants, etc.

I'd actually like to see a Castle theme that went a little steampunk or explored another subgenre of fantasy that gets a bit away from the Tolkien mould. Whether that's a not strictly medieval "Castle" theme or not doesn't so much matter, provided it's got something unique going for it. The Vikings series had a cultural/mythological basis for example and I wouldn't mind seeing TLG do that again with a different group. My preference would be Greco-Roman mythology/culture but that may not (like steampunk) seem Castle enough for most people. I can't blame anyone for that either. Castle could/should be medieval but only if TLG is still interested. The most recent iteration of the theme was a bit obligatory and lazy feeling.

Greco-Roman mythology/culture

Sets based on the Odyssey would be great, but I don't know if they would fit in the Castle line. And it would too mature for LEGO, anyway.

Edited by Robert8

But just a regular Castle theme like kingdoms would be nice to. Maybe a new Black falcon theme?

Well, something with more civilians again

Did someome mention forestmen or elves yet

A theme all this.

Similar to Kingdoms with civilian sets but a bit of fantasy to go and also some more golden era and classic factions as cameos mixed in.

"Greco-Roman mythology/culture" We have started to see much of references to these from TLG, so I could imagine that they would do an theme based on it.

Ofcourse that isn´t Castle but it would be it´s own line and I would buy it.

The recent commotion about the elves or forestmen would actually make me buy multiples... So I should vote elves!

Superb idea, not really a brand fit though. The idea of multiple factions is really appealing because it would keep the theme fresh for several years with stags, wolves, horsemen, dragons and so on coming in to the mix.

I guess I would want new mini figs or new parts. For figs I would favor the classical world- really from any culture eg celtic, Aztec, 3 Kingdoms, Roman. Assyria vs Sparta would be lovely with mythical beasts on both sides.

For new parts I would prefer decorated ornamentation from India, Persia, China/Japan or Gothic, Romanesque or baroque Europe.

I want the Wolfpack back. So many fond memories... although they were one of the first clearly evil factions, I still liked them.

Superb idea, not really a brand fit though. The idea of multiple factions is really appealing because it would keep the theme fresh for several years with stags, wolves, horsemen, dragons and so on coming in to the mix.

I guess I would want new mini figs or new parts. For figs I would favor the classical world- really from any culture eg celtic, Aztec, 3 Kingdoms, Roman. Assyria vs Sparta would be lovely with mythical beasts on both sides.

For new parts I would prefer decorated ornamentation from India, Persia, China/Japan or Gothic, Romanesque or baroque Europe.

As amazing as all this sounds, did Assyria ever fight or coexist with Sparta? I believe Assyria vs Egyptians or Mitanni or even Hittites but not any Greek states.

I love your thinking though and would gladly accept a Persian/Parthian/Sassanid culture in Lego form along with others like Late Renaissance Northern Europe, Ottoman Empire or Imperial Russia.

A re-design of some classic factions such as Forestmen, Black Falcons, Crusaders, Wolfpack, etc.

I love your thinking though and would gladly accept a Persian/Parthian/Sassanid culture in Lego form along with others like Late Renaissance Northern Europe, Ottoman Empire or Imperial Russia.

I'm not sure lego would do a Persian army, especially not Persian vs Greeks sets. Even though those wars were 2500 years ago, having an Arab-style warrior vs a Western warrior is probably no-go for them.

As amazing as all this sounds, did Assyria ever fight or coexist with Sparta? I believe Assyria vs Egyptians or Mitanni or even Hittites but not any Greek states.

You got me. I gave historical accuracy zero consideration when was scribbling on the bus. I just chose those ones because they would bring very cool mythological beasts to the party so it would sell, and European kids would have some familiarity from museums.

I'm not sure lego would do a Persian army, especially not Persian vs Greeks sets. Even though those wars were 2500 years ago, having an Arab-style warrior vs a Western warrior is probably no-go for them.

Yeah I hope you are right on that actually. PoP was good because there was no ethnic angle. I hated all the propaganda of 300. The topic is what I would like, not what I think has any chance of happening :wink:

However, that does spark a wonderful idea. Combining what would make GoT cool with classical themes: a multi-wave Clash of The Ancients. Totally inaccurate, we have Mixtecs vs Celts vs Warring States China vs Greece vs Egypt vs Persia vs Moghul Empire. A new empire comes in with each wave. Each Empire gets unique mythology or sigfig moulds. War elephants, battle chariots and army builders for the table top crowd, one decent castle for each Empire. I guess this is a bit like what therealindianajones has been building up.

You got me. I gave historical accuracy zero consideration when was scribbling on the bus. I just chose those ones because they would bring very cool mythological beasts to the party so it would sell, and European kids would have some familiarity from museums.

Yeah I hope you are right on that actually. PoP was good because there was no ethnic angle. I hated all the propaganda of 300. The topic is what I would like, not what I think has any chance of happening :wink:

However, that does spark a wonderful idea. Combining what would make GoT cool with classical themes: a multi-wave Clash of The Ancients. Totally inaccurate, we have Mixtecs vs Celts vs Warring States China vs Greece vs Egypt vs Persia vs Moghul Empire. A new empire comes in with each wave. Each Empire gets unique mythology or sigfig moulds. War elephants, battle chariots and army builders for the table top crowd, one decent castle for each Empire. I guess this is a bit like what therealindianajones has been building up.

Too bad lego cannot do more than two factions per theme... this way we get the same 5 sets every 2-3 years ( at least in the first wave)

I'd love to see this made into a theme.

That looks really cool!

It's been quite a while since the last time LEGO did something different from the "medieval king fighting against someone" line, which happened in Vikings-2005.

After that, the Castle line has become repetitive with Knights' Kingdom II, Castle (2007), Kingdoms and Castle (2013).

I think it's time to revisit some old facades, like the Fright Knights, the Forestmen or the Black Falcons. They would give more dynamism to the line, similar to what happened in Castle (2007).

I'd personally like to see a more eastern castle line, maybe based off of Byzantium, or something along those lines. Then you could do a mix of more "classic" soldiers crossed with an eastern style (maybe put the Rohan helm to use here), and some Arab-style warriors, as has been mentioned. Then they could avoid the Eastern/Arab warrior vs Western soldier reference.

I'd also like to see an early post-roman Britain style theme, to vary from the traditional "knights in shining armor themes" they tend to do, maybe drawing from some celtic influences. Think along the lines of "Beowulf", or something similar. They could utilize more short swords, the "new" spears, and circular shields (like the celtic warrior from the CMF line's shields), leather and chain mail armors, and have them fight mystical creatures, like trolls, (smaller) dragons, goblins, etc. like you see from early lore. Maybe they could throw in elves?... That'd be my ideal line anyways. :tongue:

Edited by Hammerhand

I'd love to see this made into a theme.

True... make it kind of "how tot train a dragon"... lot's of brick build beasts