Sign in to follow this  
Bregir

HSS Labourers: Lakeside lumberjacks

Maintaining a town, even a village, requires lumber in vast amounts, and the Trifork is not an exception. Its many homes must be heated, its craftsmen and builders requires raw materials, and its shipyards requires lumber.

15177230611_e58434c774_c.jpg

Therefore, some of the strongest arms and sturdiest backs of the Trifork venture to the forests surrounding the lake, where from the lumber can be transported floating by sea to the city.

14993682157_dd327eb1ec_c.jpg

Near the banks, where the ground is sandy, the trees do not grow as tall as further inland, but for firewood and simpler materials, the convenience of easy transport more than makes up for it.

14993561660_7c04df616e_c.jpg

The lumberjacks grow harsh and strong with the hard work, but are well-liked in town for the hard work they do for the populace of the Trifork, and for the money they spend in the taverns and shops when off duty.

This is an entry for the labourer category in the HSS task.

I experimented a bit with different tree types, and in hindsight it may have given too diverse a forest. I rather like the tree about to be felled in the last pic

C&C welcome as always

The bamboo and palm trees perhaps fit less, but a cool build nevertheless! I do like that tree in the last pic, nice action!

Very cool build. In that last pic, the wood chips on the ground are hard to spot with the light tan sand. I love the variation in types and shapes of the trees. They almost remind me of Mangroves because they are so squat and broad.

Really nice :thumbup:

Is it wrong though to have Monty Python's Lumberjack Song going through my head when looking at it :sweet:

Edited by grum64

Congratulations to topic #100000!!

Oh, and nice build :classic: I like that tree that is about to fall.

The ground by the fallen tree could have used a few more small plates for detailing, and I also would recommend extending the plates at least a stud over the edge of the baseplate. It looks a bit weird when you have green underneath the dk brown (which I assume is supposed to be the soil).

Edited by Gideon

Good build, some nice ideas here with the partially chopped trees. I would try to keep the tree selections relevant though (the palm leaves are somewhat out of place), but on the other hand you've got some nice designs there :classic:

Great job with the half-chopped effect on the trees, it worked really well! I agree with Gideon that some more small plates would be nice to add a bit more texture to the ground though.

Great moc there man... I really like the action going on here with the half fallen tree etc. The tan at cut sections also nice touch. Nice one mate.

Some great posings and I like the trees falling!

I agree with Gideon about the baseplate though, little things that makes the moc!

The bamboo and palm trees perhaps fit less, but a cool build nevertheless! I do like that tree in the last pic, nice action!

Very cool build. In that last pic, the wood chips on the ground are hard to spot with the light tan sand. I love the variation in types and shapes of the trees. They almost remind me of Mangroves because they are so squat and broad.

Thank you, Valdivus and Mccoyed. While there are probably too many different types, I was going for the untended, wild, shoreside, swampyish forest, where I think many different kinds of trees would have found their way.

Really nice :thumbup:

Is it wrong though to have Monty Python's Lumberjack Song going through my head when looking at it :sweet:

IT'S NEVER WRONG! :grin:

Nice trees and posing :) the falling tree is done well :)

Nice build! I really like the way you showed the tree being chopped down!

Thank you, sirs - I quite like that myself too - tinkered abit with it before being happy about it. :classic:

Congratulations to topic #100000!!

Oh, and nice build :classic: I like that tree that is about to fall.

The ground by the fallen tree could have used a few more small plates for detailing, and I also would recommend extending the plates at least a stud over the edge of the baseplate. It looks a bit weird when you have green underneath the dk brown (which I assume is supposed to be the soil).

Shouldn't there be a price and a big blinking banner? "YOU ARE VISITOR NUMBER 1.000.000 - Click this shady link etc..." :tongue:

Well, Gideon, I must admit that the ground texturing was very limited by my brick selection - due to my tardiness in finishing builds and getting them photographed, a lot of my landscaping plates was tied up else where. I would have preffered a completely platebuild base to the baseplate, in which case I would probably also have added some water and the shore.

But thanks for the tip anyway! :classic:

Good build, some nice ideas here with the partially chopped trees. I would try to keep the tree selections relevant though (the palm leaves are somewhat out of place), but on the other hand you've got some nice designs there :classic:

Thank you - it was fun trying out different tree types. It really started out as a treebuilding experiment, and I thought I would turn it into a moc. :thumbup:

Nice build. Love the last picture! The tree in the middle of falling is great.

Grazie! :classic:

Great job with the half-chopped effect on the trees, it worked really well! I agree with Gideon that some more small plates would be nice to add a bit more texture to the ground though.

Agree - plateselection and lack of skill barred my landscaping progress here... :tongue:

Great moc there man... I really like the action going on here with the half fallen tree etc. The tan at cut sections also nice touch. Nice one mate.

Really nice variety of the tree designs here.

Some great posings and I like the trees falling!

I agree with Gideon about the baseplate though, little things that makes the moc!

Thanks Thomas, Gunman and dG. I agree some details could be improved (drastically), but it was a fun build nonetheless! :classic:

Nice build, although I would suggest a border around the edge of the base.

Thank you - maybe I should start experimenting with borders! :)

Cool logging scene, the tan parts work well for wood chips :thumbup: Nice perspective in the first picture :classic:

Thanks, and yes, the lack of overall focus actually came out nice :P