• Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Name: 10213 Shuttle Adventure

Theme: LEGO Exclusives

Year: 2010

Piece Count: 1204

Minifigs: 3

Price: $129.99 CDN, $99.99 USD

I ordered this set back in June with free shipping and space minifig from Lego.com. I finally found some time to build it. This is my first review.

THE BOX:

The box is huge. It's 23" x 15" x 3" or 58cm x 38cm x 8cm. It has pretty photos of the product in the front and back. My box came slightly dented courtesy of FedEx. Fortunately, I am not a pristine box collector.

picture_7340.jpg

picture_7338.jpg

INSIDE THE BOX:

Inside the box contains 14 plastic bags of parts, 1 small sticker sheet and 2 instruction bookets. The bags are NOT numbered.

picture_7344.jpg

There are not many stickers with this set. The stickers are transparent which is a nice touch.

picture_7319.jpg

MINIFIGURES:

The set comes with 3 minifigures. A male and a female astronaut and a service crew member. The service crew member appears to be wearing a pilot uniform with an airplane logo. The female astronaut's head has two faces.

Do they have the right stuff? She looks scared.

picture_7347.jpg

Now this is better.

picture_7350.jpg

From the back.

picture_7377.jpg

Compared to the Collectible Mini-fig astronaut.

picture_7352.jpg

THE BUILD:

First is the ground maintenance vehicle. There is not much special about it. It has a video camera to record the launch. I wonder if that is old Beta video tape.

picture_7376.jpg

Next is the shuttle. The majority of my time building was spent on the shuttle.

picture_7329.jpg

picture_7367.jpg

picture_7372.jpg

The shuttle features movable wing tips.

picture_7373.jpg

The landing gear is retractable. The blue are the mount points for the external fuel tank.

picture_7387.jpg

Close up of the cockpit. The astronauts can't see out the windows unless some of the white and black plates on the removeable roof are replaced with transparent plates.

picture_7368.jpg

It is also very cosy for the male and female astronauts in the cockpit. Is she touching his bum?

picture_7358.jpg

The shuttle has a satellite for cargo.

picture_7369.jpg

The transparent sticker for solar panels don't look bad at all.

picture_7370.jpg

It fits nicely in the cargo hold under the Canada-Arm.

picture_7371.jpg

The external fuel tank is not a difficult build. It is easy to find its parts since they are dark orange and dark red pieces.

picture_7362.jpg

It has technic pins for attaching the shuttle and the two booster rockets.

picture_7363.jpg

Internal detail of nose of the external fuel tank.

picture_7361.jpg

The booster rockets are easy to build too. The round white parts left are for them.

picture_7365.jpg

picture_7366.jpg

Finally, we get to build the launch pad. It goes on the 16x32 base plate.

picture_7374.jpg

picture_7375.jpg

Here's how the shuttle sits on the pad.

picture_7380.jpg

picture_7381.jpg

picture_7382.jpg

picture_7378.jpg

Ready for boarding.

picture_7384.jpg

PARTS:

Extra pieces.

picture_7335.jpg

Technic pins in tan instead of the usual grey.

picture_7330.jpg

These were used for the landing gear. I haven't seen them before.

picture_7323.jpg

32L axles make good chopsticks.

picture_7321.jpg

SUMMARY:

Playability: 10/10

Design: 9/10

Price: 9/10 (8 cents US/piece or 10 cents CDN/piece)

Parts: 9/10 (some nice dark orange and dark red pieces)

Mini-figures: 8/10

Overall: 9/10

Lego has done a great job with the shuttle in my opinion. They put in a lot of features and fun into the design. It is quite playable. You can blast off, drop the rocket boosters and then the external fuel tank. Once in orbit deploy the satellite. Return to Earth and lower the landing gear.

The US price is not bad. It comes in under 10 cents/piece at 8 cents/piece. The Canadian price is at around 10 cents/piece.

As the real space shuttle is being retired, it appears to be good timing that Lego released this set. It is a great set to get if you are a space shuttle fan and don't have the previous space shuttle sets. I'd recommend it.

EDIT: changed picture host

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

Internal detail of nose of the external fuel tank.

Picture7361.jpg

Wow, for a minute I thought we got 2 x 9v Red micromotors :-)

Nice set though

It's a great set. I was in a doubt if I would have this set. It looks much better than this one:

6339-1.jpg?0

But on the other hand, it's much bigger then the miniland planes and sets. Besides I need to be careful with my money also. I pass for this wunderfull set.

Great review! I was doubting if I would post my review including the building pictures.. You said it all! It's a great set with some great new bricks. Bought two of this sets just because I love it so much!

Nice review, thanks! I've been sorely, sorely tempted to get this set and your blowout hasn't helped the itch. It's high on my "lotto list" of things to get when I'm rich. One thing, though... you sure this belongs in Sci-Fi? :wink:

Thank you for the nice review. :thumbup::classic:

Although I don't buy this set, It has a nice design.

Thank you for your outstanding review, dr_spock! :classic: As a kid I used to be a BIG space shuttle fan, but for some odd reason I was not as thrilled when this set came out a couple of months ago. However, your review and input of this set has rekindled my passion for the LEGO shuttle, and I am now left encouraged to purchase this set.

First time review? Holy smokes. You are skilled :wub:

Thank you a ton!!

When I first saw this set, I was ecstatic to see the orange fuel tank and the booster rockets. I had been planning to build my own for the Shuttle Discovery. So, when I got this set, the shuttle is a bit smaller than the Discovery. I modified my old Discovery and added the fuel tank and booster rockets to it (bascially made the boosters and fuel tank a bit longer). Since I was disappointed with this shuttle, I am very happy with using the tanks with my old Discovery and the combination works great.

post-8230-128127855494.jpg

Great review, and thanks for doing it. I swear if no one did it by the end of this week, "I would've gone out and got one myself :tongue:

EDIT: What a coincidence, I was looking at this picture right before reading this :grin:

B81536219C6059D855B7226F2D804E.jpg

From Top Gear

Edited by prateek

Thanks for your very good review. The set looks great. I got the older one (6339) as a child, so this is like a reminiscence to these times.

Thanks for the review. :thumbup:

Due to this I see this set now much more realistically as an average or above average one (thought it would be better before).

The value for money is outstanding though...

Did you encounter any issues with low quality pieces?

Thanks for the review, dr_spock! (where did I here this name before???)

I own the previous model 7470. So I don't know if its worth it buying this one, too.

Does anyone own both of them and can show a picture?

Thanks.

Great pictures. I bought my shuttle in Legoland, Denmark. Me and some friends had a blast assembling it. The thing is huge and has great playability.

igvNK.jpg

8YfGU.jpg

Nice review Dr spock!

I like this set, it's got loads of nice parts and looks like the most detailed space shuttle so far.

Only thing that lets me down is the launch platform, there's hardly any.

Great review on an awesome set! I got this back in early with a free Classic Spaceman mini-fig/magnet.

Just a great model. The satellite, the payload arm and retractable landing gear are nice features. This is an excellent display piece. If they could've done it and kept the price decent, I would've liked to have the mobile platform and/or tower to go with this. Finish off the whole set magnificently.

Hopin' to see more of a 'NASA' line of kits...Apollo rockets, capsules, rovers, etc.

Looks good, great review! I have the Shuttle Discovery set, and I have to say that this set (Shuttle Adventure) is everything I ever wanted out of the Discovery set.

This is a fine review of what appears to be an excellent set. dr. spock, I particularly appreciate that you show it with the decals on, as well as the call-outs of attachment points and so on. It's also nice to get the overhead view of the crew in the cockpit.

One thing, though... you sure this belongs in Sci-Fi? :wink:

Indeed, though I'm sure most of us automatically associate spacecraft with science fiction, technically this review really belongs more in LEGO Town (and soon, it'll also work in LEGO Historic Themes (!)).

About the brick, it's fairly new. Has been used in a couple of sets - http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=85943

Thanks for the link. Good to know where else that piece has been used.

... you sure this belongs in Sci-Fi? :wink:

I wasn't too sure but there is another 10213 shuttle thread in the sci-fi forum started by Siegfried. http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41455 I found it when searching to see if a review of 10213 has been done before.

From Top Gear

Hey, that's giving me ideas to strap the Toronto TTC City Bus to the external tank and booster rockets. "Ride the rocket" is the TTC motto. :laugh:

Did you encounter any issues with low quality pieces?

I didn't encounter any low quality pieces during the build. They feel like normal Lego quality to me.

8YfGU.jpg

Good shot of showing the size of the external fuel tank. I wonder if a whiskey container external fuel tank MOD is feasible and drinkable. :wink:

Only thing that lets me down is the launch platform, there's hardly any.

The wonderful thing with Lego is you can always MOC or MOD it better. I plan to create a launch platform transport for it. I ordered some track threads.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. :classic:

Indeed, though I'm sure most of us automatically associate spacecraft with science fiction, technically this review really belongs more in LEGO Town (and soon, it'll also work in LEGO Historic Themes (!)).

Maybe Town, but Historic Themes is restricted to pre-1900 thenes and creations... so far :wink:

Thanks for the fine review, dr_spock! It's amazing it's been so long without one. This set looks very fun and playable default_thumbup.gif

It's a great set. I was in a doubt if I would have this set. It looks much better than this one:

6339-1.jpg?0

But on the other hand, it's much bigger then the miniland planes and sets. Besides I need to be careful with my money also. I pass for this wunderfull set.

If anyone is looking for the 6339, which I feel like is the best shuttle set lego made, it can be bought for around $100 used on ebay. I got lucky and found one for $50 2 years ago.

Edited by ny355145

Great first review dr.spock! default_thumbup.gif I must say this is pretty good set, but I have only one nitpick - the windscreen. The trans-black cheese slopes doesn't quite work for me.