Svelte

MOC: 10193 10199 Mashup - Medieval Christmas Village

1-10193-10916-christmas.jpg

As part of my review of the new set 10199 Winter Toy Shop, I was going to make a small little village to show how a larger Christmas-themed layout could be displayed. I had already built a re-coloured 10193 Medieval Market Village tavern in a dark red and white colour scheme. However, the set looked so lovely in its new livery that rather than stick it at the end of a review, I decided to add elements from 10199 (and other bits and pieces close to hand :wink:) and create a brand new topic so it could be appreciated properly. Strictly it's not really a Medieval Christmas Village; with the carollers and decorations it's more Victorian-era, but keeping the name alludes to its origins as an official set :wink: Enjoy!

The snowy streetscape, in full view:

2-frontview.jpg

Our carollers' cheeks are red-flushed with the frosty chill in the air:

3-carollers.jpg

A little boy still manages to catch fish from the icy village pond:

4-fishing.jpg

At Christmas, even the farm animals sip from gilded drinking fountains :laugh::

5-animals.jpg

Some perhaps familiar-looking presents under the square's Christmas tree, which has suffered under a flurry of snow:

6-tree.jpg

These two villagers enjoy the vocal talents of the carollers' under a lavish wreath:

7-wreath.jpg

Looking down at the village square - a St Nick-eyed view, perhaps? :laugh:

8-streetview.jpg

Finally, the Christmas tavern, folded up:

9-folded.jpg

Thanks for viewing! How will you lay out your Xmas display this year? :wink:

Nice work Svelte, very creative use of parts to mix up the 10193 design, and digging the ice on the pond. To answer your question on what I will be doing for a Christmas display, I can say it will no doubt be based around Squidtron and his busty wenches taking over Endor!

By the way, I like the dark red better than the dark green :wink:

Thank you SOOO much for this Svelte :]]] After checking out some of the more summer-spirited MOCs that the Pirates Contest entrants have come up with, this one is a wonderful step back to reality - and into what's in store for us in a few weeks :sweet:

You've come up with a marvellous combination which has resulted in a "best of both worlds" kind of scene... I absolutely adore it! I think we'll try to build something Christmas-y for this year as well, especially after we receive our Toy Store (a HUGE thank you goes out to fellow EB member emilec for helping out with that!)... Thanks for officialy initiating this year's Christmas spirit for us, to both of you :)

Oh and btw, can't wait for your review... What's in store, a multi-story Mega Toy Shop? :laugh:

I like the idea and the work you've done with it, but am not fond of the dark red and red brown mix; the colours are too close for my liking. I think it would look better if you changed the framing to black

Very nice, Svelte! Although it's hard to fail with the MMV :tongue:

Lovely Christmas feeling :thumbup:

Actually, I've been planning this!

My LUG (SweLUG) recently made a display in a toy shop and we are planning on replacing it with a more winter-inspired display closer to Christmas. I will try to modify the Green Grocer by adding snow, decorations, etc. I hope to be able to show you the result later.

I also think I will try to make a house similar to the Winter Toy Shop to go with it when I've got it.

Nice job mashing up two really great sets. I like the new color scheme and othe custom touches you added. It gives it some much needed color. I just got the Toy Shop today and I can't wait to get it home.

To answer your question on what I will be doing for a Christmas display, I can say it will no doubt be based around Squidtron and his busty wenches taking over Endor!

By the way, I like the dark red better than the dark green :wink:

Squidtron eh? You're fickle! What happened to that army of one-eyed Snakes? (Wait - that doesn't sound right :blush:)

Actually, dark green MMV and dark red MMV can go together for extra Xmas fun!

Thank you SOOO much for this Svelte :]]] After checking out some of the more summer-spirited MOCs that the Pirates Contest entrants have come up with, this one is a wonderful step back to reality - and into what's in store for us in a few weeks :sweet:

Oh and btw, can't wait for your review... What's in store, a multi-story Mega Toy Shop? :laugh:

Thanks, Otter Prime! (Prime Otter? :tongue:). Christmas in Australia is a hot, humid affair characterised by lots of sunshine, lots of booze, and inflamed passions - so we like to indulge our cool fantasies of true Euro-xmas :laugh: And no, no multi-storey Toy Shop this time round :wink:

I like the idea and the work you've done with it, but am not fond of the dark red and red brown mix; the colours are too close for my liking. I think it would look better if you changed the framing to black

I quite like the complementary reddy-brown colours; I think adding black framing would make it look a little intimidating, and the roof would probably have to change colour too, but I'm not sure what you could do with it - no colour really seems appropriate apart from black.

My LUG (SweLUG) recently made a display in a toy shop and we are planning on replacing it with a more winter-inspired display closer to Christmas. I will try to modify the Green Grocer by adding snow, decorations, etc. I hope to be able to show you the result later.

I can't wait! Since Hinck lives in Sweden, as you know, maybe he can pop by and offer some feedback :laugh:

I quite like the complementary reddy-brown colours; I think adding black framing would make it look a little intimidating, and the roof would probably have to change colour too, but I'm not sure what you could do with it - no colour really seems appropriate apart from black.

I personally feel the combination of black farming and black roofing looks fine, but understand what you mean with the intimidation factor. The likeness in colours makes the house look warm and inviting. Another option for framing would be dark bley.

Nice work! I like the combination of the governors daughters dress and the castle princesses dress. Very nice. I also love the snow in the christmas tree and the building in dark red. Very nice! I've also changed my mind about the singing lego faces. They don't look that horrible!

~Badboy

Wow, that is very cool Svelte!

The snow on the tree is a nice addition, and the dark red/white MMV building is just gorgeous! :wub:

The BrickForge items are a nice touch.

All of that white makes the whole scene look very warm and Christmasy!

Great work! :thumbup:

Oh, I love it Svelte! :wub: I knew the Medieval Market would make a great Christmas creation. This reminds me of something out of Dickens or one of those miniature Christmas villages. Great set combination!

This deserves to be front paged! Sweet. :sweet:

Nice. I like the snowy tree and pond. I see you got a few BrickForge items, too.

Yep, they just arrived this week! My cows now have some new friends! :wub:

Oh, I love it Svelte! :wub: I knew the Medieval Market would make a great Christmas creation. This reminds me of something out of Dickens or one of those miniature Christmas villages. Great set combination!

Yes, it definitely has a Dickensian 'Christmas Carol' feel to the set-up. I actually like the MMV better in dark red than the medium blue in the official set (As ISC mentioned, I have a dark green version floating around too :laugh:) With some mood lighting and a few ghosts, there's definitely potential to spookify these sets for a wintry Xmas eve tale! :wink: Now I'm going to dismantle all this and hide it away for a few months until December hits.

Thanks for the frontpage!

WOW I Love this Svelte :wub:

Great job! :thumbup:

I like the little pool or pond, with the fish in it, it's really cute!

CommanderFox

That's really neat Svelte, I like the recoloured house, it looks good in dark red. Now, is that all old dark red or new dark red? :wink:

Nice inclusion of some favourite BF items too, including the adorable mushrooms! :wub: The extra details like the pond, presents and drinking fountain complete this and make it visually interesting to look at. Good job, and I look forward to that review. :classic:

"We wish you a Merry Christmas, we wish you..."

Instantly recognizable as a 'Svelte' (when I saw it on the frontpage, I know it was yours). Excellent work, I like how you've converted everything aspect of the set into its Medieval equivalent. And the tree looks much better with snow added to it.

The building would not only look perfect with the original Medieval Market Village, it suits perfect in a snowy diorama and it really has a christmas feeling it. The colors look also good, it matches well together. Excellent job! :thumbup:

That's a great MOC, Svelte! :thumbup:

I really :wub: it!

The idea of putting 10193 and 10199 together is really great!

I mainly like the nice Christmas decorations you added to the house, the mediveal jesper in the box :grin: and the small frozen lake.

Very well done! :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter