Dunkleosteus

[MOC] Initiateur - 100 gun french man o' war

pirates-indexed.gif LDD/MLCad 13C

Ahoy, gentlemen of fortune and guards of the brick seas.

I haven't been on the forum for a long time and now looked over all your creations - they are just magnificent, all of them! I still feel myself like a novice in lego-building..

Anyway, Dunkleosteus' Shipyards are back with this harsh lady. Сonstructed a month ago, only now she has come under your considerate professional eyes. I think this is my last ship based on the prehab hull technology - this method imposes too many limitations.

There are 3 type of cannons:

- lightweight culverins

- heavy carronades

- long-range cannons

Also you can see a mortar boat on board :pir-classic:

initiateur1.png

initiateur2.png

initiateur3.png

initiateur4.png

initiateur9.png

initiateur10.png

initiateur8.png

initiateur11.png

initiateur12.png

Maybe later, if I would find a possibility of rendering, the another ship, unusual and frightening, will drop anchor in the bay so that everyone can enjoy its menacing shape :pir-classic:

Thank you very much for your attention!

Nice look both for shape and colors! The same size with a maximum count of 60 guns on sides would have been better. The perfection were probably in a total amount of 50 guns, so you had the chance to put some minifig on her keeping the scale illusion.

Ow man this thing is a beauty,,, It really reminds me Kaliphlin (GoH). I wish this was built with real bricks, it would be a showpiece. The stern and the bow are amazing...

Very good build! Would you consider building it in brick form?

Thank you!

perhaps one time if I would have time&money..

But at the moment this ship is already technologically outdated - I could do better, and I'm going to pirate_classic.gif

Nice look both for shape and colors! The same size with a maximum count of 60 guns on sides would have been better. The perfection were probably in a total amount of 50 guns, so you had the chance to put some minifig on her keeping the scale illusion.

You are absolutely right about the ammount of cannons! I will consider it carefully in the construction of the next ship. pirate_classic.gif

As for the colors, I do not really like them, but I decided not to deviate from the plan just because of my personal preferences.

Anyway, I'm glad that you like it. pirate_classic.gif

Nice cannons.

I really like the use of 11090.jpg for your smallest cannon. thumbup.gif

I wonder if that brick could be used for swivel cannons?

Dunkleosteus,

I can honestly browse your flickr page for hours and this is another masterpiece. I'm looking forward to seeing your new technology approach, but I must echo the other sentiments that this would be beautiful in real bricks and would look great in a museum or art gallery!

Do people create kickstarter projects for very large Lego building projects?

Edited by adam5743

And yet another ship from my lurking days is brought forth...

Yeah, the prefabs can be difficult, but the final result is still excellent. I like the color scheme - whether it's accurate or not, it looks French to my eyes. The overall lines are nice and I like the headrails made from decorated 1x3 plates. The rigging doesn't look bad - as much as I dislike the standard shrouds, it looks ok - and it would certainly be easier than full custom rigging if built from real bricks.

The stern cabin lines are perhaps too angular, but otherwise she's a beauty with a powerful punch.

Slightly "dumbing down" a design like this would make a tantalizing official set...

Now that's one impressive monster of a ship. I like it.

And yet another ship from my lurking days is brought forth...

Yeah, the prefabs can be difficult, but the final result is still excellent. I like the color scheme - whether it's accurate or not, it looks French to my eyes. The overall lines are nice and I like the headrails made from decorated 1x3 plates. The rigging doesn't look bad - as much as I dislike the standard shrouds, it looks ok - and it would certainly be easier than full custom rigging if built from real bricks.

The stern cabin lines are perhaps too angular, but otherwise she's a beauty with a powerful punch.

Slightly "dumbing down" a design like this would make a tantalizing official set...

Everything about her is perfect!

Thank you, but please, this ship is so retarded for now pirate_look.gif

Well... okay.

You're the builder/designer, so if you say so...

I'm curious. Do you think it's "retarded" based on the narrow scale and rigid design constraints imposed by the prefabs, or do you have other reasons? The scale is obviously small for a first-rate, but regardless of scale or armament, I think she looks pretty good.

If someone were to post instructions for one of these really large fantasy MOCs, I'd love to take a crack at it. This one is particularly appealing, given its basis being standard hull pieces. It looks very sturdy.

Well... okay.

You're the builder/designer, so if you say so...

I'm curious. Do you think it's "retarded" based on the narrow scale and rigid design constraints imposed by the prefabs, or do you have other reasons? The scale is obviously small for a first-rate, but regardless of scale or armament, I think she looks pretty good.

Thank you for your interest pirate_classic.gif

The main problem of this ship is the size - it's too damn big for the prehab-hull model. So the hull is too narrow, top view is awful, rigging bricks are too small; 2,5 decks are definitely out of the scale.

But I'm sincerely happy that you like it anyway (:

Ah. I suspected as much - and I agree, the prefabs are way too small for a first-rate (half-sized, perhaps?). But she does have nice lines, and the proportions are pretty good - just not for a first-rate. I really like your custom hulls, which would be more suitable for that much firepower.

Thank you for your interest pirate_classic.gif

The main problem of this ship is the size - it's too damn big for the prehab-hull model. So the hull is too narrow, top view is awful, rigging bricks are too small; 2,5 decks are definitely out of the scale.

But I'm sincerely happy that you like it anyway (:

Honestly, I think it looks great. Were I to build it, though, I'd probably do a slightly more traditional color scheme. Is it a little narrow? Sure... but, then again, as I said earlier, it looks sturdy -- like something you could actually move and play with without breaking.

I love the cannons on your beautiful ship! She is a very good ship that I couldn't even TRY to build it has so many pieces on it. Also, I don't think you would want to sail the ship because it's so pretty! 

Though we do appreciate your interest and enthusiasm we do ask that you refrain from bumping old topics. This post was last commented on back in early August. For your edification please revisit the Site Guidelines as well as this topic on Bumping Old Topics. Thank you for understanding.

Since this was already bumped, is anyone in contact with Dunkleostasis?  If so, could you ask him if he has this ship in LDD, and if he's willing to share it?

I've tried private messaging him, but he hasn't responded.

I'm in love with this ship!

Seems I missed this topic back in 2014 because for sure I would have remembered this beauty.

I hope to see it constructed with real bricks one day.

:bonaparte:

Amazing build!

I'm trying to understand this technique.

It reduces the Minecraft aesthetics a lot, making it appear more smoothly and natural.

Has anyone else used this technique for the sides of the ship?
I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Lol, well this is an old topic.

Oddly enough, I was looking at this very thread only like 8 hours ago.

5 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Amazing build!

I'm trying to understand this technique.

It reduces the Minecraft aesthetics a lot, making it appear more smoothly and natural.

Has anyone else used this technique for the sides of the ship?
I haven't seen it anywhere else.

He just SNOTted out some curved bricks, gaining about a stud's additional width on each side. Most people probably don't do it because it would dramatically increase the part count for only a modest payoff. It also fancies up the sides far more than a lot of people may want, potentially drawing the eyes away from more detailed parts of the build. 

On this particular model, though, it's amazing to look at.

Edited by SteamSewnEmpire