Tyger

WW Saloon Keeper, Doc Holiday and a couple Gunfighter Torso Designs

I couldn't find anywhere over here like the Pirate forum for posting these so I hope this forum is appropriate.

I have been messing around with designing custom torsos for minifigures and I thought I'd post some of my Wild West designs for some feedback. So hopefully you like em X-D

Saloon Keeper:

wwbarkeep_torso.jpg

Doc Holiday:

wwholiday_torso.jpg

Gunslingers:

wwgunslinger_torso.jpgwwgunslinger02_torso.jpg

Cheers

oh wow, those are really nice.

i love the saloon barkeep the best... the drying rag in his pocket reminds me of the dollar bills in the pocket of the WW banker. really makes the torso unique to the figure.

the belts of the gunslingers look nice too... and i love the varying line weights on the jackets... really gives off an official LEGO feel. though, the collar does look a little funny on the gray jacketed fellow. like it needs a thicker line to define it better. and im not sure about the collar on the black jacketed gunslinger... are those draw strings typical of western clothing ??? it reminds me more of a pirate ;-) i could be wrong.

I

Outstanding Tyger! I love them. You did a fantastic job at not only designing some very nice western torsos, but they also fit in nicely with the official Lego WW designs. I think I like the 1st gunslinger the best, but they all look great. What graphic program do you use?

I may try one or more of your patterns and share the results. Great job!

Tyger: I tried your torso patterns on some figs to arrive at these:

newwwtorsos.jpg

I really like the grey-shirted outlaw. He looks a lot like Senor Polomar from the Adventurers theme.

The blue-shirted outlaw isn't bad at all. I'm not real fond of Doc Holliday with the dark grey vest/suit. Perhaps it's the dark grey body with black arms. The saloon keeper is OK. May need another body to look better (perhaps even white).

Overall, they're pretty good. If only Lego would try another WW theme/sub-theme...

B, the two gunslingers look good. but i think for the doc holliday the arms should match the color of the torso jacket (dark gray). and the blue is a very strong color compared to the rest of the fig... Ty, maybe this is something you could address ??? or did you have a different color combination in mind for the legs/arms/hands/hat ???

also, i might try matching the barkeep arms with the color of his undershirt (white). and the torso would either be white, or dark blue, ala conductor charlie...

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?M=trn075

thanks for doing those B !!!

- BrickMiner

Wow! Awesome feedback so far. I just use Photoshop I know Illustrator is somewhat better for this kinda stuff but Photoshop is just easier for me right now. And I'd love to see some variations.

Thanks Brickster for throwing them on some figs that's great. I haven't quite got to the point of being able to do that yet.

The Doc Holiday was based off a suit that Val Kilmer wore in Tombstone, I entended for him to be on a gray torso and will like arms and legs... but with Doc's famous black hat. I was actually contemplating cuting down a top hat to make Doc's hat since lego only has the more classic cowboy hat.

The black and gray gunslinger that Brickster made were pretty much bang on to what I had in mind, and the Saloon Keeper I was going to put on a white torso and maybe give him gray hair, like an old timer.

I have no idea what heads I would use though... since the WW theme only had about 6 variations... but I do like the head on the 2 gunslingers Brickster chose.

Thanks again for putting em on some figs. And thanks goes out to BrickMiner for the rag in the pocket idea it really does make it a very specific torso and I really like how it looks on the fig.

Cheers

Edited by Tyger

These are very high quality designs Tyger!

newwwtorsos.jpg

They look just awesome on these figs.

Brickster, which paper did you use? Were these done with a laser printer?

Edited by bonaparte

Very nice.If you live in the us could you print off a sheet for me?PM me for an adress.

Brickster, which paper did you use? Were these done with a laser printer?

Just normal photo paper, but I have sticker sheets as well. I have an old HP Photo Smart that creates photo-quality images. It's getting old and is acting up though. I have to clean and calibrate between each use, and sometimes it still doesn't work properly. I want a new printer, just don't know what to buy. All the new printers seem to be full office machines (printer/fax, copy-machine). I don't want or need all of these functions, just a good photo-quality printer.

Very nice.If you live in the us could you print off a sheet for me?PM me for an adress.

No, I'm sorry. I don't want to start doing this for one, as others will start asking me and it's difficult enough to just print one sheet with my existing printer (no kidding). Sorry about that. I hope you understand.

and im not sure about the collar on the black jacketed gunslinger... are those draw strings typical of western clothing ??? it reminds me more of a pirate ;-) i could be wrong.

also, you mentioned you were using only official LEGO colors, what chart are you going by ???

- Brick Miner

I sorta had this in mind http://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi...e&category=3420 but I didn't like how it looked with the collar so removed the collar. Sort of a wrangler type outlaw.

And for colour I use a combination of this http://www.minifigcustomizationnetwork.com/colorguide and http://peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/colorguide.cgi

Dunno how accurate they are but the seem pretty bang on with the laser printer I have I'm hoping to do some quick decal on figs to show what I mean... and then tackle the water decals after.

Cheers.

Edited by Tyger

Excellent torsos, Tyger! Some of you guys have an amazing talent for these things. The gunslingers are my favorite.

the minifig customization chart is all messed up, in my opinion. some of those colors are way off. id stick with the official LEGO chart (peeron).

here is a chart i made... it matches the peeron colors values with the BrickLink names.

http://eurobricks.hosting.ipsyn.com/eurofo...ndpost&p=150828

but hey, whatever works, right... i just know we are all about the "official" LEGO look ;-)

- BM

the minifig customization chart is all messed up, in my opinion. some of those colors are way off. id stick with the official LEGO chart (peeron).

here is a chart i made... it matches the peeron colors values with the BrickLink names.

http://eurobricks.hosting.ipsyn.com/eurofo...ndpost&p=150828

but hey, whatever works, right... i just know we are all about the "official" LEGO look ;-)

- BM

You bet! Thanks buddy... I'll colour correct em when I get home. I definately think the limited and accurate colour palette helps sell the "official" lego look. *sweet*

Very good Torso decals you have created *y*

Thankz for sharing

If only more members would contribute :-(

Piranha

i forgot to mention that this link didn't work for me, so i wasn't able to leave you any feedback...

I sorta had this in mind http://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi...e&category=3420 but I didn't like how it looked with the collar so removed the collar. Sort of a wrangler type outlaw.

and good call on using my color chart ;-) :-P

- BM

--------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

If only more members would contribute :-(
piranha, believe it or not we are seeing so much more WW interest than we say a year ago. before it was just me, Norro, and TheBrickster. if we only count you, KD, and ty, we've doubled... plus i have read replies from other members expressing western interest.

we are growing ;-) just keep making those MOCs, and remember the cheese movie line...

"built it, and they will come."

- Brick Miner

Edited by Brick Miner

Seeing you're so good at making torso's....

(well done, *y* they are some of the best quality I've seen on EB)

How bout trying some Firefly (Serenity) torsos???

I'ts futuristic WW. Can't get a much better combo. Hehe.

piranha, believe it or not we are seeing so much more WW interest than we say a year ago. before it was just me, Norro, and TheBrickster. if we only count you, KD, and ty, we've doubled... plus i have read replies from other members expressing western interest.

BM makes a good point here. It really is great to see the additional interest in the WW theme! Welcome, welcome!

I'd encourage all of you to send an Email message or a letter to Lego requesting that they bring back the WW theme. If enough people express interest, Lego will hear us.

Seeing you're so good at making torso's....

(well done, *y* they are some of the best quality I've seen on EB)

How bout trying some Firefly (Serenity) torsos???

I'ts futuristic WW. Can't get a much better combo. Hehe.

I loved Firefly! I thought Serenity was a lousy way to end it... but sure who are you looking for in perticular?

I've also done some Star Trek TNGs but that's for a personal geek lego project :-D

And BM don't worry about the link it was just a wranglers tie up shirt.

I loved Firefly! I thought Serenity was a lousy way to end it... but sure who are you looking for in perticular?

I've also done some Star Trek TNGs but that's for a personal geek lego project :-D

And BM don't worry about the link it was just a wranglers tie up shirt.

When I'm watching Firefly episodes I can't help but see it all in Lego Sets. The Captain with his red shirt brown pants and braces first and foremost. Then all of the characters... Zoe has some great costumes... the Doc, River, the Reavers.... they would be awesome. If someone could teach me how I'd do it myself but I'm pretty crap at it. I've tried some 1920's torso's and was nearly :-X at how stupid they looked.

When I'm watching Firefly episodes I can't help but see it all in Lego Sets. The Captain with his red shirt brown pants and braces first and foremost. Then all of the characters... Zoe has some great costumes... the Doc, River, the Reavers.... they would be awesome. If someone could teach me how I'd do it myself but I'm pretty crap at it. I've tried some 1920's torso's and was nearly :-X at how stupid they looked.

LOL well I'll see what I can come up with. =)

oooooh! really??? *wub* *wub* *wub*

You're a star!

*ahem* :-$ Thanks mate... looks forward to seeing what you come up with.

You really have some great skill, Mr. Tyger.

I've got a treat for you guys. ;-)

Thanks for the compliment! And the find! Those are pretty neat... I still am going try and work out the few I started though... but who ever put those together, that was pretty creative... torsos from a bunch of different series and they look like the mess quite nicely!