Sign in to follow this  
Waterbrick Down

Heroica RPG - Quest #108: Message in a Bag-of-Holding

14743308841_e9fc4c5842.jpg

The four chosen heroes quickly make their way outside the hall and to the Eubric Observatory.

Party:

14692172731_f204630c8a_t.jpg

Atramor Gibbin (CallMePie) *Party Leader*

32 year old male human Regulator

Level: 32 *Immune to Fire, Water, Lightning, Wood, Earth, Wind, Light, Darkness, Poisoned, and Doomed* *Negative Effects Last One Round* *Battle Style: Orderly*

Power Bonus: 0

Defense: 26

Health: 62/62 (7+31+12+6+6*)

Gold: 11

Equipment: Pheles Kris (WP: 20, user has a 1/2 chance to generate an Aura, doubling the user's maximum health but drawing all attacks to them, fire, ice, lightning, earth, wind, light, darkness elemental dagger), Robust Shield (SP: 12, shield), Amulet of the Court (Suitable for anyone, negative effects last only one round on the wearer, immune to water, lightning, and wood, accessory), Rat's Hide (Suitable for anyone, SP: 4, backwear), Galactic Armor (Suitable for anyone, SP: 6, +6 max health, immune to fire, earth, wind, light, darkness, and doomed, bodywear), Helmet of Azzurat (Suitable for anyone, SP: 4, immune to poison, headwear)

Inventory: Tiger Claws (WP: 15, double WP against humanoids, darkness elemental, dual strike, daggers), Scroll of Arc Frailty (50/50 chance to inflict the fragile-effect to all enemies for ether equal to the number of enemies)

-Desert Cloak (Suitable for anyone, immune to fire, backwear), Sylvania's Cowl (Suitable for anyone, grants Animal Talk, headwear)

- Agni Bomb, Health Core, Mulled Wine, Phoenix Essence, Smelling Salts, Smoke Bomb, Bone, Grating Stone

10632256334_a9ff1c7529_o.jpg

John 'Heckz' Brutenhal, the Ghostbuster, the Super Sleuth and the School Inspector (Cutcobra)

32 year old male human Sorcerer

Level: 22 2/3 *Immune to Sealed* *Jinxed Spells*

Power Bonus: 10 (Spells)

Defense: 3

Health: 30/30

Ether: 33/33

Gold: 779

Equipment: Bone Whip (WP:9, damages undead, whip), Magician's Gloves (Spellpower +10; suitable for mages; handwear), Robe Of The Archmagi (SP:3, Max. Ether + 5, immune to sealed; bodywear), Bad Luck Charm (Makes the sorcerer’s spells - including Razzmatazz and Sleight of Hand - cause an additional jinxed-effect, increasing their ether cost by 1; suitable for sorcerers; accessory)

Inventory: Rawr (WP:9, dagger), Lovelorn Wand (WP:6, deals enamored-effect), Rat Scepter (WP:3, 4x damage to enemies named “rat”; wand), Pitchfork of Abomination (WP:1, pierces all defenses including SP but breaks after one use; suitable to all classes), Wyrd Shield (SP:4, prevents ether reduction; suitable to mystic knights and paladins), Harlot's Outfit (SP: 2, immune to poisoned; suitable for Witches, Sorcerers and Harlots; bodywear/footwear), Buffoon's Hat (Prevents anyone from taking the wearer seriously; protects from Free Hits unless the wearer is the last hero standing; headwear),Watt's Artifact (Makes the user’s attacks and spells three times more effective against demons; accessory), Spellbound Gloves (Spellpower +5; handwear), Opal (Ice), Garnet (Earth), 2 Amethysts (Darkness), Aquamarine (Water), Ether Core, Elixir, Neutralizer, Soma, 3x Mead, 3x Smelling Salts, Seth Bomb (Causes 100 darkness-elemental damage to all opponents), Bedroll, Shovel, Wicked Perfume (Makes all male humanoid enemies enamored to the user, but makes all female humanoid enemies encouraged; consumable), Blue Jelly, 6 Bones

paladin_pretzel_2.jpg

Monk Pretzel and His 99 Pieces, the Super Sleuth (Played by Palathadric)

463-year-old male "hermit" Paladin

Level: 29

Power Bonus: 5 (In the Front Row)

Defense: 27 (+5, in the Back Row)

Health: 50/50

Ether: 38/38

Gold: 1021

Equipment: Dual Staff (WP:8, Ice, Lightning, Fire, Wind, Light; dual strike; staff), Mythril Shield (SP:20), Strategist's Shako (+5 power while in the front row, +5 SP while in the back; headwear), Ethereal Cloak (SP:2, Max Ether +4; backwear), Heavy Armour (SP:5, Immune to Fragile)

Inventory: Heavy Flail (WP:5, causes fragile; mace), Flying Cross (WP:6; Darkness; broomstick), Steak (WP: 1; instantly kills vampires on successful hits; suitable for all), Archaic Starbeam Blade (WP: 15, damages undead, double WP from dusk until dawn, breaks after one use, longsword), Impervious Shield (SP: 5; grants immunity to Fire), Crescent Shield (SP: 5, halved damage from elemental attacks, shield), Duplovian Helmet (SP: 2; Immune to Magic and Healing; headwear), Bumble Fanshirt (SP: 1; Vermin with level less than half of the wearers are scared and won't directly attack the wearer; bodywear), Soothing Slippers (meditation restores 5 ether; footwear), Soul Link Chain (Allows the user to pair up with another party member, each of them gaining all the effects that the other has. The partner has to equip the chain as well (ie. one chain can be shared by two people); accessory), Magic Viper Skin (heals 1 health to wearer each round of battle unless knocked out; accessory), Shackles of War (accessory), Counterstrike Gloves (handwear), Rock Gauntlets (Suitable for anyone, grants the wearer Iron Fist at no ether cost, handwear), Amethyst, Emerald, Garnet, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Blinding, Scroll of Arc Sleep, 3 Potions, 9 Grand Potions, Cherry (Restores 1 ether), 4 Tonics, 2 Ether Cores, 7 Remedies, Neutralizer, Grand Elixir (Restores full health and ether to target and remedies all negative effects), 2 Phoenix Incenses, Phoenix Essence, 2 Smelling Salts, 5 Venoms, 5 Deadly Venoms, 2 Paralyzing Venoms, 3 Smoke Bombs, Fire Bomb, Holy Bomb, Military Grade Fire Bomb, Bedroll, Pickaxe, Magnifying Glass, Telescope, Shovel, Magic Shovel (will always find something when used, limited to three uses per quest), 10 Bones, Raw Meat (+5 max. health upon consumption), Crimson Haze (Causes a weapon to deal the poisoned by 7 and cursed effects permanently)

1aa.jpg

Thalion Dwinlas, the Super Sleuth and School Inspector (-obelix-)

213 years old male elf Sorcerer

Level: 28 1/3 *Immune to Fragile, Sealed* *Causes Jinxed on successful hits*

Power Bonus: 0

Defense: 7

Health: 36/36

Ether: 43/43

Gold: 500

Equipment: Alpha and Omega (WP:13, dual healing/spellcasting at the cost of 2 ether, staves), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Max. Ether +5, Immunity to Sealed, bodywear), Emerald Hood (SP:4, Immunity to Fragile, headwear), Bad Luck Charm (Makes the sorcerer’s spells - including Razzmatazz and Sleight of Hand - cause an additional Jinxed effect, increasing their ether cost by 1; suitable for sorcerers; accessory)

Inventory:

Gems: Zirconia (Gem containing all elements; cannot be merged into equipment), Amethyst (Darkness), Diamond (Light), Garnet (Earth), Ruby (Fire), Opal (Ice), Emerald (Wood), Sapphire (Wind), Aquamarine (Water), Topaz (Lightning)

Scrolls: Scroll of Sealing (2), Scroll of Blindness (2), Scroll of Frailty (2), Scroll of Weakening (2), Scroll of Confusion (2), Scroll of Sleep (2),

Weapons: Sleeper (WP:5, deals Asleep to enemies it hits, Hollow Upgrade [Nostrum stored], melee/throwing weapon), Ratsbane (WP:10, absorbs 2 health on successful hits, dagger), Batarang (WP:13, darkness-elemental, throwing weapon),

Ribcage Shield (SP:9; every time the wielder takes a hit, the shield loses one SP; gives immunity to Doomed and Sudden Death for as long the shield has SP left)

Artifacts: Sterile Gloves (Immunity to Poisoned and Bleeding, handwear), Duplovian Helmet of the Guard (SP:2, Immune to Magic and Healing, headwear), Marauder’s Mantle (Grants permanent Reinforced-effect, doubling defense; suitable to marauders; backwear), Winged Sandals (Protects from Bound and Slowed effects, footwear), Cloak of Espionage (Allows the wearer to examine enemy stats before a battle, backwear), Bumble Fanshirt (SP:1, vermin with level less than half of the wearer's are scared and won't directly attack the wearer; bodywear), Dragoon's Helmet (SP:3, makes wearer absorb attacks of the element of their pet dragon, gaining health instead of damage; suitable for dragoons; headwear)

Tools: Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Magnifying Glass, Magic Compass

Consumables: Copy of The Eubric Herald (Gives the target the transcended and inspired-effects for the duration of one battle), Grand Potion (4), Potion (2), Smelling Salts (3), Nostrum (3), Mead, Elixir, Ether Core, Grand Tonic, Remedy (3), Phoenix Essence, Venom, Smoke Bomb

14673778665_98b32bb33e.jpg

The party is presently joined by the pale cleric that they had seen in the hall.

8666359670_4a8e090c2b_t.jpg

"Well here we all are, I suppose. For those of you whom I have not had the pleasure of meeting, my name is... *sobs a little* Ratabor Mossycloak. You'll have to *sniffle* forgive my rather dour disposition, I'm what some might term manically depressed." Ratabor takes a deep breath and collects himself. "Now, onto the matter at hand. As I mentioned in the hall, almost one week ago, I discovered that distressing note that I posted. I say "discovered" because there's simply no other way to explain it, one moment my bag is empty, the next it's filled with a note signed by this Greenhood fellow. Well I did what any caring individual would have and sought the help of some of my friends at Heroica and here you all are. I'm not sure what we're looking for, but this is the place the note mentioned: the south side of the Observatory. Now if we could only figure out what this "jump" is supposed to be. Hopefully you bright chaps can figure out this mystery, word has gone around that some of you are even Super Sleuths."

QM Note: Welcome to quest 108. For those of you unfamiliar with a WBD quest, I like to encourage out of the box thinking (outside of battles that is) so feel free to explore your surroundings. Just make sure to bold your actions you want a response to. This is a mystery quest and with all mysteries the logical direction will seem obvious to me, but if you ever find yourself getting stuck or hitting a dead end, feel free to make it apparent to me. Please ensure your stats are correct, once everyone's confirmed we'll get going. Just as a note of advance warning, my weekends are generally packed, so updates will be sporadic during those periods (however I will always hold to the response within 24-hour principle), otherwise I expect this quest to move along at a fairly good pace. Good luck. :classic:

Edited by Waterbrick Down

Atramor trudged up the hill to the observatory, taking a brief look around as Ratabor explained the situation. He knelt to move aside the wooden wheel leaning up against the side of the building.

"So, basically....we have no idea what we're lookin' for until we find it."

Heckz listened to what Ratabor had to say, and nodded when the pale cleric mentioned Super Sleuths.

"I'm one of the super sleuths, among other things. Funny though, you chose the one man who does not know anything about mysteries as the party leader."

He said as he started to peek inside the window in the wall.

"We do, actually. A guy with a green hood and some 'Paelaedins'. Whatever that is..."

I roll my eyes and move forward to shake Ratabor's hand.

"The world can be a rather depressing place these days. I'll give you that much. Demon walk about at will and seem to mix with humans freely. Pah! Still, we've got to keep a stiff upper lip."

I then see the wheel Atramor is standing on.

"Hmm, that could make a great spare for my cart."

Thalion bows, "Thalion Dwinlas, a pleasure to meet you. Well, we'll certainly try our best to figure this out." He moves the leaves on the right side of the wall and inspects stone circles.

Atramor trudged up the hill to the observatory, taking a brief look around as Ratabor explained the situation. He knelt to move aside the wooden wheel leaning up against the side of the building.

Atramor lifts up the wheel and finds 10 Gold!

"I'm afraid so. We're probably never going to find it." *sniffle*

Heckz listened to what Ratabor had to say, and nodded when the pale cleric mentioned Super Sleuths.

"I'm one of the super sleuths, among other things. Funny though, you chose the one man who does not know anything about mysteries as the party leader."

He said as he started to peek inside the window in the wall.

"We do, actually. A guy with a green hood and some 'Paelaedins'. Whatever that is..."

Heckz looks inside, the observatory appear deserted, rusted weapons and a Pogcanis skull lie covered in a layer of thick dust.

"Paladins, Mr. Brutenhal. And I have happened to work with Mr. Gibbin before and he proved himself quite capable."

Thalion bows, "Thalion Dwinlas, a pleasure to meet you. Well, we'll certainly try our best to figure this out." He moves the leaves on the right side of the wall and inspects stone circles.

Thalion moves aside some of the ivy on the wall and finds four strange shapes cut into the wall. On further inspection the shapes seem removable.

14671453564_3f8cb36c54_z.jpg

The circular stones on the ground seem to form the shape of a snowflake.

As Atramor snaps up the gold, I cast a glance at the chain to see if it would be useful for some purpose or if there's anything else in the barrel.

As Atramor snaps up the gold, I cast a glance at the chain to see if it would be useful for some purpose or if there's anything else in the barrel.

Monk Pretzel finds nothing else in the barrel, but discerns that the chain could probably serve as a pair of manacles.

heroica-shacklesofwar.jpg Shackles of War - (suitable for anyone, prevents anyone from fleeing battles, accessory)

Thalion puts the red and green shapes back to their place, and then removes only the White one.

"Oh, paladins. I must have read wrong."

Heckz sees Thalion trying to do something with the shapes. If Thalion fails in his attempt, Heckz puts the sand green shape on the far left, puts the red shape on the middle left, puts the white shape on the middle right and puts the last one on the far right.

"Seems we're followin' the same line of thinkin', Thalion. It's no coincidence these stones look like a damn snowflake. If I had to guess, these stone resemble the seasons. So..."

After Thalion and Heckz have attempted their arrangements, Atramor places the sand green shape in the first slot, the dark green one in the second, the red one next, and the white one last.

"By the way, Ratabor, I forgot to tell you that I got the message too. Right when I was storing Pretzel's gold in my bag. Sounds strange though, I thought those rich weirdo wizards were the only ones who could send letters magically."

"Seems we're followin' the same line of thinkin', Thalion. It's no coincidence these stones look like a damn snowflake. If I had to guess, these stone resemble the seasons. So..."

After Thalion and Heckz have attempted their arrangements, Atramor places the sand green shape in the first slot, the dark green one in the second, the red one next, and the white one last.

Thalion and Heckz attempts both have no effect, however as Atramor slides the pieces into their correct repositories, the snow-flake shaped pattern on the ground begins to glow with a light blue light. Quickly Atramor jumps off the pattern unsure of what might happen.

"By the way, Ratabor, I forgot to tell you that I got the message too. Right when I was storing Pretzel's gold in my bag. Sounds strange though, I thought those rich weirdo wizards were the only ones who could send letters magically."

"You mean the Z-mail system? Usually there's a lot of sparkle and flutter with those things, but there's definitely something magical about the delivery of these things." Ratabor's eyes light-up as Atramor seems to stumble across the answer to the perplexing puzzle. "Seems like we've found something."

As the party stands around a familiar face pulling a cart approaches.

14670583261_67f629586a_z.jpg

14670580831_ce5401912a_t.jpg

"Eh, what this? Armed ruffians planning a robbery? You won't be getting any free handouts from me, no sir."

"What? No, we're on a damn rescue mission, thanks," muttered Atramor, annoyed, as he examined the snowflake. "Well, that seems to have....'worked'. Kinda. Maybe if we step on it we'll be teleported or whatever." He then turns his attention to the alchemist. "...You again? Is this some kind of reunion?"

The alchemist takes a good look at Atramor before a dawn of recognition spreads across his face.

"Oh you're that pirate with the chicken. Sorry it's been a good while. I'm just doing my job, bringing my weekly delivery? Rescue mission?"

"There's people trapped somewhere 'round here. Probably in...er, there." Atramor gestured to the snowflake. "Are ya' just passin' by or do you deliver to here?"

"What? No, we're on a damn rescue mission, thanks," muttered Atramor, annoyed, as he examined the snowflake. "Well, that seems to have....'worked'. Kinda. Maybe if we step on it we'll be teleported or whatever." He then turns his attention to the alchemist. "...You again? Is this some kind of reunion?"

"Aye, that it does." He nods as he examines the glowing stones, "Should we go all together, or should I go ahead and scout first? See what we might get into..."

As the alchemist approaches Thalion turns to face him, "If you don't mind me asking, where is your delivery bound to? Forgive my prying, but strange things seem to be happening here and I do not know you like master Atramor seems to do."

"Aye, that it does." He nods as he examines the glowing stones, "Should we go all together, or should I go ahead and scout first? See what we might get into..."

As the alchemist approaches Thalion turns to face him, "If you don't mind me asking, where is your delivery bound to? Forgive my prying, but strange things seem to be happening here and I do not know you like master Atramor seems to do."

"I wouldn't say I know him. Actually, the last time we met I damn near blew up his laboratory...but he was cooperative. Mostly." McCafferey squawked and shuffled her wings.

"The thing is, mate, if gettin' back was as easy as gettin' in, we probably wouldn't be here. I doubt your scoutin' would help much if ya' can't come back and tell us what we're goin' up against. Our best chance is goin' together."

Heckz seems surprised while the snowflake lights up. "Hmm, nice job. It seems I shouldn't judge people by the way they dress, even though I'll do it anyways." He then looks at the alchemist for a second, then turns to Thalion.

"I'm thinking we should go together in case we face a battle. And as Atramor said, there might be a chance you won't come back and you'll take all the loot before we get there."

"Anyone want these Shackles of War?" I query.

Atramor finds the clue, apparently, but nothing too significant happens.

"Pah! It's probably just ridiculous!" I say, stepping onto the snowflake.

"There's people trapped somewhere 'round here. Probably in...er, there." Atramor gestured to the snowflake. "Are ya' just passin' by or do you deliver to here?"

"Actually this is my delivery spot. One weekly delivery of tonics to U'reeves the U'kin. Looks like you've already found the portal."

"Anyone want these Shackles of War?" I query.

Atramor finds the clue, apparently, but nothing too significant happens.

"Pah! It's probably just ridiculous!" I say, stepping onto the snowflake.

Pretzel steps onto the snowflake and in a moment vanishes.

14753770232_228fd18790_o.jpg

Pretzel finds himself in utter darkness.

"You...deliver here? Who the hell is U'Reeves? Why does he need this stuff and what's up with this portal? Do you go inside or just leave it out here?"

Atramor glances at Pretzel jump onto the portal, shaking his head as he vanishes.

"Senile old bastard....someone head in there and make sure he don't hurt himself, I'll be just a minute."

"You...deliver here? Who the hell is U'Reeves? Why does he need this stuff and what's up with this portal? Do you go inside or just leave it out here?"

Atramor glances at Pretzel jump onto the portal, shaking his head as he vanishes.

"Senile old bastard....someone head in there and make sure he don't hurt himself, I'll be just a minute."

"Well I deliver to the portal to be specific. I'm not sure what U'reeve's role is, he just pays me. I show up, they zap me through, I deliver my tonics, get paid, then zap back here, no clue what he uses the stuff for. Big place, stone hall filled with a bunch of doors."