1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_6705_157_3160.png

Hello everyone,

I am pleased to share with everyone on this review. Even though this review is more than 18 months worth of wait, I have been procrastinating to work on this review and with the 6th Anniversary of the Reviewers Academy, I ought to wrap this up. Earlier ago, My girlfriend (now wife) and I went to LEGOLAND Malaysia on the 1st January 2013. It is not our first trip there. I saw these lovely new Superheroes sets and I was so tempted to buy it. Instead she bought these sets for me even though these sets cost a premium and Singapore will not see these sets until a month later or so. Right now at this present moment, I think it probably be lesser on the retail shelves. I did start building these sets and take these photos last year. Nonetheless, I hope you will enjoy this reviewing coverage.

Name: 76000 Arctic Batman vs Mr Freeze: Aquaman on Ice

Theme: LEGO / Licensed / DC Comics / Batman

Year: 2013

Pieces: 198

Minifigs: 3 minifigures

Price: USD $19.99, GBP 19.99, EURO 26.99, SGD $50.90, RM 129.90

Resources: Brickset, BrickLink

Put the heat on Mr. Freeze and come to the rescue of Aquaman!

Mr. Freeze has trapped Aquaman in a block of ice and only Batman™ can release him! Speed to the rescue in the powerful Batboat with exhaust flames, deploy the missiles and release the bombs to bust that block of ice. It's time to turn the heat up on Mr. Freeze! Includes 3 minifigures: white Arctic Batman™, Mr. Freeze and Aquaman, all with assorted weapons.

• Includes 3 minifigures: Arctic Batman™ in white polar suit, Mr. Freeze and Aquaman with assorted weapons

• Features Batboat and exploding ice block

• Batboat features flick discs, deployable bombs, batwing fin element, exhaust flames and opening cockpit

• Weapons include freeze gun, trident and batarang

• Shoot the discs and bombs!

• Free Aquaman from the ice with the explosion function!

• Collect the Arctic Batman in his white polar suit!

• Batboat measures over 3" (9cm) high, 10" (26cm) long and 4" (12cm) wide

• Ice block measures over 2" (7cm) high, 1" (4cm) wide and 2" (5cm) deep

An original box image of the 76000 Arctic Batman vs. Mr Freeze : Aquaman on Ice

14650099824_8b3a05979b_o_d.jpg

Back view of the original box image of the 76000 Arctic Batman vs. Mr Freeze : Aquaman on Ice

14651932622_67b27b849e_o_d.jpg

Batman and Aquaman combined forces to take down Mr Freeze

14465897357_e1f0ac477d_o_d.jpg

Now, what make this set so exciting for me! First of all, this is a LEGO Superheroes set that classified under the DC Universe, which ultimately provided us a chance, to finally own an 'Aquaman' LEGO minifigure through this set. As you can see from the current LEGO DC Universe sets not including the classic Batman sets, this is the only set that feature a Batboat, counting from 2012 to present moment. So, if you require your Batman to take on villains such as The Penguin which is aquatic based foe, it is best to bring this Batboat along to increase the winning odds.

The content of the sealed box

14649070751_1c45a2610c_o_d.jpg

Within the sealed box, it comes with 4 mint packages, a mini poster (front) and (back), a dreaded sticker sheet and an instruction manual to build up the set. After the building is completed, these are the remaining spare parts.

Let's start the building process

14672238413_2007aaf7ac_o_d.jpg

I enjoyed pouring all of the opened package into one big pile of bricks since it does not come with numbered bags. Might as well make a better and challenging experience for me to mix the pile altogether, just like old times.

Introducing the sub zero minifigures

14465697619_cd4aec694e_o_d.jpg

It's not too bad to be able to obtain all these licensed minifigures in this box since these are pretty much exclusive to this set. To be honest, I will think the main highlight would be Aquaman especially since this is his first opening appearance into the world of LEGO Minifigures. You can see the back view of the minifigures with accessories and without accessories which you are able to notice the dual emotion appearances for Arctic Batman and Aquaman.

Arctic Batman

14652320255_14a4751280_o_d.jpg

Batman has no issues or financial restrictions of equipping himself with the high technology and state-of-the-art suits to combat his arch-enemies. This is also no exception. By equipping himself with the Arctic suit, he is able to take on foes in the sub zero climate where enemies like The Penguin and Mr Freeze can be found in their elusive hideout. Byremoving the hood, you will notice his iconic frown and determined facial feature is similar with the rest of the other Batman minifigures. This is a simple comparison between the two Batman designs, originally from the 6857 The Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape.

Aquaman

14672236303_c76bb7d52c_o_d.jpg

The new LEGO DC Universe now see a new superhero, Aquaman, also known as Arthur Curry and Orin. He is a superhero and the ruler of the seas. As the king of Atlantis and other undersea territories, he technically controls most of the planet. His abilities include super-strength, durability, super-speed, staying underwater indefinitely, and telepathy, which he uses to communicate with sea-life. As you can see from his other facial feature, you do know that Aquaman is serious in the things that he do and he will not succumb to his enemies so easily.

A little similar with our LEGO Atlantis Divers

14465714268_271d2a925d_o_d.jpg

A classic Batman villain which we are familiar with, and is none other than Mr Freeze who fights using cold-based weapons. Formerly a scientist working in cryogenics, Mr Freeze had dedicated his life to finding a cure for his wife's terminal illness. Following a horrify laboratory accident, he became dependent on sub zero temperatures to survive. He also requires an exo-skeleton that keeps him constantly freezing. Losing touch with humanity over time, he eventually turns into a colder and more sadistic psychopath. You can view the a detailed breakdown of Mr Freeze. It is quite similar with our LEGO Deep Sea Divers from the Atlantis Theme which utilise the same headgear equipment. This is another image of a detailed breakdown of Mr Freeze back view

Block of deep freezing ice

14629348526_d403c7d806_o_d.jpg

The block of deep freezing ice formed by Mr Freeze to entrap his prisoners is a very much simple built which utilise of trans-light blue rock panel. It is a quick and effective way to minimise brick count to build this ice prison quickly, even though this may not be welcomed by many. This is an image of the side view of block of deep freezing ice.

Play Feature (1) Aquaman breaking free

14672241063_95629f67a8_o_d.jpg

In the above official illustrated box art, this demonstrate the first play feature, which involved Aquaman breaking free. By pressing on the lever below, it enable the frozen ice to break open and free Aquaman from within. You can see another image in this side view of Aquaman frozen in solid state.

Minifigure fit in nicely

14629347926_3364af909b_o_d.jpg

Come on, I will freeze you further

14465647080_4918d2570d_o_d.jpg

Building process of the Batboat

14465902237_62a2b1bc64_o_d.jpg

The building process of the Batboat is illustrated in the above collage, where the main focus is to laid the strong foundation of the boat hull, sides and base through various locking techniques which was shown in the strong colour bricks such as red, yellow and green to reinforce the aquatic structure.

Applying the stickers onto the control panels

14672234173_9e96b61abc_o_d.jpg

Normally, I don't like to apply stickers but this is one of the exceptions. Because, without stickers, the set will look rather bland and bare. It is a pity that the control panels and the cockpit sides do not come with printed parts.

Almost finished building the Batboat

14629346216_58f436b336_o_d.jpg

The completed built of the Batboat

14465708848_a020be4403_o_d.jpg

This is the completed built of the Batboat, where Batman is ready to deploy in sea and deep Arctic conditions. With the stickers applied appropriately as instructed by the manual, the sticker details brought out the nice attention of the various aspects of the Batboat.

Side view of the Batboat

14465690199_346270fea4_o_d.jpg

Back view of the Batboat

14629343106_cbda7c048c_o_d.jpg

Opening the cockpit

14649075511_d2aaeca088_b_d.jpg

Arctic Batman in place

14651921912_f1a783a827_b_d.jpg

Play Feature (2) - Shooting of Flick Discs

14465907867_34d2debe6f_o_d.jpg

In the above official illustrated box art, this demonstrate the second play feature of shooting the dual flick discs. It is fun and simple to reload as well. Pretty engaging for children, not too sure if the AFOLs will like this combat feature.

A closer look at the firing flick discs function

14651922722_8a909c9ec5_b_d.jpg

Play Feature (3) - Deployable Bombs

14465907537_6f9755f6a2_o_d.jpg

In the above official illustrated box art, this demonstrate the third play feature which involve the ticking of the deployable bombs to serve as mines to detonate and delay the pursuing enemies from behind.

A closer look at the deployable bombs

14651922322_07d2b41e09_o_d.jpg

No one will come and save you

14652313875_aaa60572ac_b_d.jpg

Ah ha! Thanks Batman! Let me get my trident

14629342166_ebcdd32301_o_d.jpg

Now it is my turn to save others

14465706838_dc4c80c437_o_d.jpg

Just arrived in the nick of time

14650101634_e9618e6a9e_o_d.jpg

To conclude, this is a very decent play set which involved in building a fun aquatic Batboat for Batman to use on sea combat missions against his arch-enemies. It is fun to play with these playing features even though it may not appeal greatly to AFOLs, but work wonders for young children, like what my small cousin used to mess with my Batboat by shooting the flick discs whenever possible. More importantly, the biggest appeal is to acquire Aquaman since there is no other way to obtain him except for this set. Arctic Batman is a decent alternate variation which is welcoming and Mr Freeze is also look well in this new re-released design. All in all, I enjoyed this greatly.

Summary review

Playability: 8/10 (Fun to play with those flick missiles for younger children.)

Design: 8/10 (Not too bad, as the Batboat is well designed.)

Price: 8/10 (Reasonably priced, but will be best if it is able to get it during sales.)

Overall: 8/10 (Get this set and don't miss it before it is end-of-life.)

I gave it a "4" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

I hope every one of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Criticisms are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Flickr.