Sign in to follow this  
ACPin

New LEGO® FUSION

Press release statement about the new product where I've attended a preview meeting for it yesterday:

LEGO Systems Blends Physical and Digital Play with New LEGO® FUSION

-New Play Experience Moves Children Seamlessly Back and Forth Between Physical and Virtual LEGO® Worlds Via Hands-On Brick Building and App Gaming to Delight LEGO Builders and Casual Gamers Alike-

NEW YORK (June 19, 2014) – LEGO Systems, Inc., makers of the world’s leading construction toys, today introduced LEGO® FUSION, a play experience that combines traditional LEGO brick play with familiar app-based game themes. LEGO FUSION leverages new technologies—and children’s fascination with them—to create an entirely new way to engage in LEGO brick building and app game play for children ages 7 and up. Available later this summer, the LEGO FUSION collection will include four distinct titles: LEGO FUSION Town Master, LEGO FUSION Battle Towers, LEGO FUSION Create & Race and LEGO FUSION Resort Designer.

Each LEGO FUSION experience consists of a distinct set of LEGO bricks, a corresponding free downloadable app and the new FUSION capture plate, a small brick building plate with a printed design that enables a smart phone or tablet’s camera to identify the size and colors of the LEGO bricks built onto it. In response to game prompts, children build vertically in 2-D on the FUSION capture plate, enabling the app to ‘see,’ import and transform the creation into 3-D in the digital world.

14468501614_946c94e973_z.jpg

“Children have always imagined their LEGO creations as immersive worlds which come to life for hours of role-play and adventure,” said Ditte Bruun Pedersen, senior design manager, LEGO Future Lab. “Recently, smart phones and tablets have become a popular platform for empowering game mechanisms that kids love. LEGO FUSION brings these two favorite play patterns together in an experience where real-life LEGO builds come to life in a virtual game, inspiring creativity, strategy, and the pride of creation.”

To Win, Step Away from the Screen

Once a child’s creation has been imported into the game, a series of challenges and interactions requires that players turn away from the device and return to the real world to use their LEGO bricks to build new solutions in order to move game play forward. Each game encourages this back-and-forth between physical and virtual, keeping children engaged in both worlds.

“In our research, we heard repeatedly from parents that they are constantly battling ‘zombie gaze,’ the experience when their children are immersed in their device screens for large blocks of time,” said Pedersen. “We developed LEGO FUSION with this challenge in mind, creating a play experience that keeps children entertained with the kind of app gameplay they love while giving real reasons to return to the brick pile to creatively build.”

Each LEGO FUSION product offers a distinct play experience. The four products launching this year are:

LEGO FUSION Town Master

In this simulation game, players create and rule their own LEGO town, first by building it with LEGO bricks, then by capturing it and importing it to the game. Children build everything from houses to a pizzeria, fire station and bike shop while completing errands and missions like catching robbers, fighting fires and skateboarding. To keep the minifigure citizens happy, players solve problems through physical building and earn points to gain access to more structures, and even run additional towns.

14272693200_03ac9c15f6_z.jpg

LEGO FUSION Battle Towers

Players build a tower and defend it against attack so they can rule the kingdom. First, players design the Battle Towers with real LEGO pieces, then capture them and import them to the game. Next, players choose tower defenders like wizards and archers and battle against evil warriors, skeleton armies, and more. If a tower is damaged in battle, players can repair the damage with a timed build with the game’s real LEGO bricks.

14459295385_e39fa01557_z.jpg

LEGO FUSION Create & Race

In this racing game, players get behind the wheel and virtually drive the cars that they create with real LEGO bricks. Once a custom vehicle is digitally designed, physically built, and imported to the game, it can be optimized for success in racing, demolition or stunts. Players learn that every brick shape and color on the vehicle matters for performance. Three themed courses offer endless challenges unlocked by physical LEGO builds, and children can even ghost race against friends to top the leaderboard.

14272699508_2b577b7370_z.jpg

LEGO FUSION Resort Designer

Players help the LEGO Friends design new vacation houses, shops and activities for Ambersands Beach. After building 2-D facades, capturing them and importing them to the game, players can design the interiors of 3-D digital structures, such as an aquarium, surf shop and beach houses. Children can unlock new levels and build more resorts by completing missions like rescuing dolphins, riding horses, surfing and other resort activities.

14272654689_1486dbfc45_z.jpg

Beginning in September, LEGO FUSION will incorporate the ability for players to access their digital LEGO creations and game play anywhere. Using their LEGO ID, players can sign in on any compatible device and access their gallery and game play from within the LEGO FUSION app.

Developed by TT Games, makers of the best-selling LEGO video game franchise, the LEGO FUSION Town Master, Battle Towers, Create & Race, and Resort Designer app games are free for download from the Apple, Google or Samsung App Store for Apple iOS and Android.

LEGO FUSION Town Master, LEGO FUSION Battle Towers, and LEGO FUSION Create & Race will launch in August 2014; LEGO FUSION Resort Designer will launch in September 2014. Each will be available for $34.99 in LEGO Stores and Toys”R”Us stores in the U.S., as well as online at shop.LEGO.com and at toysrus.com.

# # #

About LEGO Systems, Inc.

LEGO Systems, Inc. is the North American division of The LEGO Group, a privately-held, family-owned company based in Billund, Denmark, one of the world's leading manufacturers of creatively educational play materials for children. The company is committed to the development of children's creative and imaginative abilities, and its employees are guided by the motto adopted in the 1930s by founder Ole Kirk Christiansen: "Only the best is good enough." Visit the virtual LEGO world at www.LEGO.com

LEGO, the LEGO logo, the Minifigure and brick and knob configuration are trademarks of The LEGO Group. ©2014 The LEGO Group

Sounds interesting, were you able to try it during your preview meeting?

I'm curious how well the transition from physical to virtual is

It looks like Lego is trying to keep up with the likes of Haspro with their Grumpy Sparrows app products......if it's good value for the price then it might do well.

edit........check this link out..........http://lego.gizmodo.com/new-lego-fusion-sets-let-you-play-even-when-you-dont-ha-1593080024/+jcondliffe?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Edited by lightningtiger

Sounds interesting, were you able to try it during your preview meeting?

I'm curious how well the transition from physical to virtual is

It was a demo so we weren't able to actually try it ourselves, but Joe Meno built a house which was scanned into the game. A few minor glitches but all in all it went smoothly. For the targeted 7-12 age group, it all makes sense but for AFOLs who want more it has certain limits built in.

interesting idea!

Yes it is.

Four products/themes introduced:

Town Master (City)

Battle Towers (Castle)

Create & Race (Racers)

Resort Designer (Friends)

Demo was done only for the Town Master and Battle Towers. The Racers even though it wasn't in the demo had LDD features that you can download to build other cars that have been done by your playmates.

It looks like Lego is trying to keep up with the likes of Haspro with their Grumpy Sparrows app products......if it's good value for the price then it might do well.

edit........check this link out..........http://lego.gizmodo....dium=socialflow

Even Engadget got the scoop on our group yesterday as we weren't allowed to take pics/video nor get additional product info.

AC

PS. Hopefully, I'll get another invite/review of the actual products in the future before they hit the shelves.

It's quite amazing idea, Any of us probably wanted to take a walk in a minifig size to see how our creationslook from their perspective.

Thequestion is- will ALL bricks be able to be "transfered"?

I spy Sand Green Masonry bricks.

774710783925590929.jpg

There were other sand green bricks.

I got some pictures: https://www.flickr.c...ks/14458793575/ (credit to HothBricks team)

A little late but I just got the dropbox for the official pics.

It's quite amazing idea, Any of us probably wanted to take a walk in a minifig size to see how our creationslook from their perspective.

Thequestion is- will ALL bricks be able to be "transfered"?

No as there are limits to each theme/set, only those that come with them plus some basic bricks are identifiable to the app. Anything else used that the app can't recognize will be replaced by something similar.

AC

I'm quite interested in the Racers one. It's a cool concept and I look forward to seeing how it pans out

If the execution is well done and the sets are received well, I would hope to see a space themed set/app in the future.

Wonder why you need a special brick plate to build on? Otherwise I am a bit skeptical really. Part of my satisfaction with Lego bricks is that it is so tangible. Am not waiting for yet another computer-related activity.

TechHive has a video previewing the product line.

Edited by Arigomi

Wonder why you need a special brick plate to build on?

I assume because the recognition software wouldn't know what it's looking at otherwise. The plate is a constant that provides a reference for color and scale.

WOw what a great idea for a product , Combing both App & real play "To Win, Step Away from the Screen" idea is great , Its good to see Lego has taken the "Zombie" out of Electronic tablets.

I cant wait to buy the town fusion game.

I would with the Town Master one it involved the design team from Dacta.....the frontage of buildings idea comes from Dacta town sets ?

It could be interesting if we may build our own physical cars and then race in a virtual large world. As others said this has to depend on how phsyicals converts to virtuals in this app. The phsyical bricks are very few, and it looks like the the app would capture the shape and then "aggrandize" it into a magnificant and detailed building.

It looks like the playable(interactable) characters in the virtual side are all assigned, while racers and the wizard don't appear phsyically. I guess we can't use a Friends character to join the race. :sceptic: .

Does anybody know if Lego Fusion will work with bricks that are not part of the set?

I'm curious too. In other aspects, what if we build something that isn't from the specific theme, for example, a little castle in a Town/Friends set? Would each app and each plate show different results? If not, we may just buy one set for the plate, use our own other bricks and download all apps. Edited by Dorayaki

This is using Qualcomm Vuforia AR technology, the printed base is likely used by the app so it can recognize the objects and properly digitize them, i.e. its what the app uses for a reference point.

I like the idea, too bad my phone isn't one that this will work with.

I'm quite interested in the Racers one. It's a cool concept and I look forward to seeing how it pans out

If the execution is well done and the sets are received well, I would hope to see a space themed set/app in the future.

The racers description actually makes me think of a racecar-themed variation on Kerbal Space Program, just done in LEGO. It sounds fantastic. :grin:

The space theme is one theme that our group pointed out to the developers.

Does anybody know if Lego Fusion will work with bricks that are not part of the set?

Not exactly as I pointed out in another question that the app will replace bricks it doesn't recognize to something similar in its inventory.

Wonder why you need a special brick plate to build on? Otherwise I am a bit skeptical really. Part of my satisfaction with Lego bricks is that it is so tangible. Am not waiting for yet another computer-related activity.

You're obviously not part of the targeted audience, please read the press release in detail.

The app needs to scan that plate to check if you actually bought the overpriced set, I guess....?

Saw it on this video, but maybe I misunderstood.

http://moevideo.net/...542652d4e5fe895

TechHive has a video previewing the product line.

I assume because the recognition software wouldn't know what it's looking at otherwise. The plate is a constant that provides a reference for color and scale.

This is using Qualcomm Vuforia AR technology, the printed base is likely used by the app so it can recognize the objects and properly digitize them, i.e. its what the app uses for a reference point.

I like the idea, too bad my phone isn't one that this will work with.

What jonwil said.

WOw what a great idea for a product , Combing both App & real play "To Win, Step Away from the Screen" idea is great , Its good to see Lego has taken the "Zombie" out of Electronic tablets.

I cant wait to buy the town fusion game.

Seems more like a multimedia or game project...

It's quite a novel idea and if everything works as the devlopers hoped for, it can be big.

I would with the Town Master one it involved the design team from Dacta.....the frontage of buildings idea comes from Dacta town sets ?

That I can't confirm or deny as it wasn't brought up in the preview/demo.

It could be interesting if we may build our own physical cars and then race in a virtual large world. As others said this has to depend on how phsyicals converts to virtuals in this app. The phsyical bricks are very few, and it looks like the the app would capture the shape and then "aggrandize" it into a magnificant and detailed building.

It looks like the playable(interactable) characters in the virtual side are all assigned, while racers and the wizard don't appear phsyically. I guess we can't use a Friends character to join the race. :sceptic: .

I'm curious too. In other aspects, what if we build something that isn't from the specific theme, for example, a little castle in a Town/Friends set? Would each app and each plate show different results? If not, we may just buy one set for the plate, use our own other bricks and download all apps.

No cross-theme parts usage involved and in the short preview/demo certain limits were mentioned about parts not belonging to the sets.

The racers description actually makes me think of a racecar-themed variation on Kerbal Space Program, just done in LEGO. It sounds fantastic. :grin:

one thing noted about the racers is that you actually just have to build half of the race car since most racing cars are symmetrical. Unfortunately it wasn't in the demo so we didn't see any particulars about it.

AC

I remain sceptical. In the videos it is always only about the facade, a small two-dimensional area behind this special calibration tile. I think the approach is very honourable, but it is not building something and then making it digital. Maybe it works with cars. I wonder how its going to be with the Tower Battle.