WesternOutlaw

Grave Stone: Official Web Page

gs4.jpg

For the past few weeks, I've been working on the development of a Web Page to share my Ghost Town and other Wild West MOCs with the Lego community. I could think of no better group of individuals than the Eurobrick community to introduce the new site to.

So, here is my Lego Grave Stone Web Page: Grave Stone *skull*

Comments and feedback are most appreciated.

Brickster, its great to see a site with all of your Wild West mocs.

As per feed back, I think I have a few suggestions and ideas.

1) I'm personally not to fond of the black background with the different highlighted text. I feel that perhaps a color that is still dark yet much "brighter" such as a darkish gray or a darker blue might look better.

I think the font could use a larger format and perhaps a color that meshes better with the background.

2) I think that maybe the main picture of the of each set should go under the description. I get the feeling with the way things are that the picture is being squeezed off the page.

Thats all I have for now.

I await to see what else you can come up with, Wild West, and Website wise.

looks good to me... i love all the links in the inspiration paragraphs (this must have taken some time). and i like that you have included your non-ghost town MOCs too. its nice to see this graphically all in one place.

i do agree that the MOC images seem like they are separated from their descriptions a little (pretty much what chewie said). maybe the images could go either under or above the description (preferably under), with some type of graphic divider between each one (a lasso) ???

also, this maybe being picky (or not possible), but if each MOC image were a consistent size (at least the thumbnails on the main page) it would really bring the site into uniformity. you could just take sections of the images (crop) to get to a uniform standard size. just a though, maybe not a good one... its something that would just have to be tried out, i bet.

i also like that you went back and added digital backgrounds to your stagecoach and confederate soldiers MOCs... really ties everything in well.

the playmobil mystery game was very good (even though i couldn't finish it :'-( )it will be nice to see this linked from your site... as those toys will surely appeal to AFOL visitors to your site.

*y* - BrickMiner

Thanks for the feedback Chewie and BM. I tend to agree with most of your suggestions. I'll be incorporating some of the improvements over the next few days.

On a side note BM, what are your thoughts about my Fort Jacinto MOC. Here's the link: Fort Jacinto if you would like to provide some feedback.

Text is too small and fine for a white on black color scheme. Too hard to read. I'd also suggest breaking it up. Having a section/page linked from a main page for history, inspiration, MOCs, etc. I think would make it more managable.

Steve

Text is too small and fine for a white on black color scheme. Too hard to read. I'd also suggest breaking it up. Having a section/page linked from a main page for history, inspiration, MOCs, etc. I think would make it more managable.

Steve

Thanks. Good suggestions. In regard to the font, I'm using Arial 10 which is pretty much standard. It's rather large with my browser. Perhaps I have a larger screen size??? I was initially using Arial 8 but increased it to 10. Sounds like it may still be too small for some.

Perhaps I have a larger screen size??? I was initially using Arial 8 but increased it to 10. Sounds like it may still be too small for some.
what is your screen settings ??? im set at 1152x864, and while it seems a little small, i think its fine.

any bigger would just be obnoxious :-D

- BrickMiner

Very nice! It's good to have all your creations in one place.

what is your screen settings ??? im set at 1152x864, and while it seems a little small, i think its fine.

I run 1280 x 1024.

Very nice! It's good to have all your creations in one place.

Thank Iamded. Appreciate the kind words.

I run 1280 x 1024.
well, you should be seeing it smaller than me, unless you have a large monitor.

keep up posted on updates, B...

- BrickMiner

Beside the already mentioned B/W issue I think it

well, you should be seeing it smaller than me, unless you have a large monitor.

keep up posted on updates, B...

- BrickMiner

Just thought the same, larger resolutions are making the text smaller. Nice website the brickster, it's cool to see all the MOCs together at one place

Thanks for the positive feedback. I plan to overhaul and add additional sections over the next few weeks, but I wanted to get something up for now. I also spotted a number of typos that I need to correct.

But at least it does show all the Grave Stone collection and that was my main intent.

Brickster, im curious, was there some reason you didn't (don't) like MOCpages... it seems you can almost do exactly the same thing you are doing here. or was it not customizable enough ???

- BrickMiner

Brickster, im curious, was there some reason you didn't (don't) like MOCpages... it seems you can almost do exactly the same thing you are doing here. or was it not customizable enough ???

Actually, I do have a page on MOC Pages. Here's the link: MOC Pages.

Moc Pages does not provide the flexibility to create your own format/design, buttons, hyperlinks to other pages of one's web, etc. It's not bad and I love the voting and remark ability, but I plan to add a lot more in the future - and perhaps a few things of special interest. Plus, I'm not dependent on someone else's page.

Plus, I'm not dependent on someone else's page.
but you might not get as much traffic.

i see why you love the commments and voting feature, as your MOC are the highest voted western MOCs :-P ;-)

- BM

but you might not get as much traffic.

Actually, It's done pretty good so far at 204 hits in just a day or two.

There's much more than MOCs I plan to share on the site, like image reviews, story, etc. I can't exactly do that on MOC Pages.

i see why you love the commments and voting feature, as your MOC are the highest voted western MOCs :-P ;-)

Two thoughts. You have not shared your outstanding Train Depot yet; and also, whether a set gets a one or a five, it really is dependent on the person doing the review. For example, I would rate a few of my creations that did not average a 5 much higher; and some that did, lower. I enjoy the comments much more than the scoring. The comments really tell you what people are thinking about your creations. In addition, I wonder who exactly is scoring the sets (how old are they, their set interests, ability, etc.).

Actually, It's done pretty good so far at 204 hits in just a day or two.
congrats !!!
There's much more than MOCs I plan to share on the site, like image reviews, story, etc. I can't exactly do that on MOC Pages.
gottcha.
I enjoy the comments much more than the scoring.
ya, im taking a break from MOCpages... i find that the feedback here on EB is much more constructive. all i ever got on MOCpages was "this is a fantastic! creation !!!!!!!!!!!!!" yet my MOC rating were 2 and 3 stars *wacko* i don't get it. i think you should be required to write a review if you rate it... that way, if you give something 1 or 2 stars you can tell the builder how to improve.

furthermore, one day i decided to go and rate other peoples creations (just to get more actively involved in the site). i rated fairly... if something wasn't great, i was honest, and tried to give constructive feedback and an appropriate rating. days later, my MOCs dropped by 2 or 3 stars each and got a tons more votes (3 and 4 times the amount, im not exaggerating). could have been coincidence. i just think its strange.

also, i noticed glitches... like some people's MOCs i was able to vote on and unlimited number of times, and others only let me vote once... how unfair would it be for me to tally a vote more than once ??? in fact, i could probably login right now and vote some more :-|

also, some of my reviews haven't shown up yet that i posted last year... including some reviews of yours B ;-) when i go to try to rewrite them, it says i have already written a review. im just frustrated with it. but i can't figure out how to delete my account. i don't think you can.

annnnnywaaay... sorry to ramble in your thread :-$ i just have a lot of free time right now (if you can't tell by my number posts recently).

- BrickMiner

Why don't you just delete the page(s) and re-create them. You'll loose the comments, but you only have a few MOCs. It shouldn't take too long. Kind of like reseting a hit counter. I was thinking about doing that with mine, but I've got quite a few.

im glad im not the only one who has thought of doing this... i have deleted my MOCs currently for that reason !!! i still don't like all the glitches i have found. im not sure how much i like the site, currently anyway :-/

- Brick Miner

I've added some sounds, changed the background, and also added some graphics. The site is still in the early development phase though. Much more to come...

I'm a somewhat late here, but I just wanted to say add my compliments to your site, Brickster. It was enjoyable to read all of the MOCs great descriptions. My favorite MOC of the Grave Stone collection is the first version of the Shady Inn Hotel. Its design and color scheme is spot on.

I also like Fort Jacinto and the Professor's Wagon a lot. *y*

wow, it has really improved. the wooden board headers did the trick ;-)

- BM

Thanks. I'm still working on imagery and graphics. It will be better than what you're seeing now.

well i don't know if any one has said this but i think you should put a option to turn off the walking noise without having to turn off my speekers. other than that i do *wub* your sight.