Scott-S6

[Review] Rebels Ghost (75053) and Phantom (75048)

(Apologies for the rushed photos - I'm not really into doing reviews but I thought I would put these photos up since these kits haven't been reviewed on here yet)

The Phantom (75048)

c02l854d1cxvxdx4g.jpg

27jz50ao53ecbp04g.jpg

r6vvh3kgz0j71xr4g.jpg

Sticker sheet:

13d9vhwe8zvcelb4g.jpg

Minifigs: Ezra Bridger and Chopper.

Ezra has two expressions and a helmet

71rwi5dpvw1fruy4g.jpg

k3rwzgkdddunk3m4g.jpg

At the end of bag 1:

mz18rykzikdwuia4g.jpg

59e1cl0wfk0omm64g.jpg

83xadezcawe5aqx4g.jpg

At the end of bag 2:

rab5r51xh36ac1o4g.jpg

Spare parts:

udqmvpb9u79uxys4g.jpg

The top is removable for access to the astromech and there's a small compartment at the back where Ezra's blaster and helmet (or hair) can be stored

rs4wrnuul7b3kl34g.jpg

jwncg054jlbnars4g.jpg

The finished product:

ob6davykg8jkypn4g.jpg

gmruzmurlv4zwu94g.jpg

262x8hhjj6yxt1q4g.jpg

ztnh9jirs4dupey4g.jpg

It's a straightforward build with no real surprises. The cockpit is almost airtight, the folding wings are nicely executed.

The Ghost (75053)

g2p2iko25cnuztb4g.jpg

w7gk88y9asmc2424g.jpg

sybiat4fzt4t11c4g.jpg

Sticker Sheet:

lprg8wyoq6ex3yz4g.jpg

Minifigs: Kanan Jarrus, Hera Syndulla, Zeb Orrelios, random stormtrooper

Kanan and Hera have two expressions.

thj2e85mrhxoc874g.jpg

xp5zmvakyy2lsgp4g.jpg

Is this a new piece?

p9uejuca0gvzdu54g.jpg

After bag 1:

07ngavo2g2ypu404g.jpg

agc8otcn5mkhvo34g.jpg

The front gunnery section slides out for minifig access (and there's room to seat two in there). I've pulled the cargo bay out because despite it opening it is basically completely inaccessible once assembled.

The cargo bag is also a hinderance during the first bag as it constantly flops open. This is fixed during bag 2 with a rubber technic piece to prevent the latch falling open.

After bag 2:

g6akld5jonk2ovp4g.jpg

o403n80x7hrweyj4g.jpg

After bag 3:

0scf7i4zmhlww414g.jpg

qfeud6y8ts5m5l04g.jpg

After bag 4:

y7dgpfqh4oh4tsm4g.jpg

h7pjmsagie2daje4g.jpg

After bag 5:

kd15gt3tptzkkf54g.jpg

h9b465n4135aeof4g.jpg

After bag 6:

0i9b3e3i5hkjhj54g.jpg

39jhr400ky5437n4g.jpg

jdjdb08vfrq2ig74g.jpg

fiod18h9ct561eg4g.jpg

The two halves of the escape pods just slot together but are secured after sliding into place on the ship.

zgqrsigaq5sdk2q4g.jpg

cive0dmyt3h5ni64g.jpg

Lots of storage for weapons and for a spare shooter projectile.

oghoy54ydyr1f5y4g.jpg

adffnlx9xkmkgqe4g.jpg

Phantom docked

wcs592vuhf5p2ab4g.jpg

Some nice under-side details.

w17sozlec0hfdjq4g.jpg

Cargo bay access....

eyytecy5boytpg54g.jpg

This is the only way to get to it.

Spares:

yamylweblr3cc5b4g.jpg

This was pretty fun to build although the four identical wings were a bit dull. The shape of the ship is pretty well rendered with nice angles, the cockpits and gunnery stations close nicely except for the top turret which has gaping holes. The weapon storage in the center and side compartments is a nice touch.

There is one HUGE and GLARING problem with this set - where is Sabine Wren? The sixth member of the team seems like a much more logical inclusion than a single random stormtrooper. There's even a place for her to sit (behind the front gunner station). Presumably she'll follow in a subsequent set....

Edited by Scott-S6

Thanks for the review! Do you mind looking at the Phantom's box and saying if any of the parts are made in China?

Thanks for the reviews! These are the two sets among the new summer line I'm most curious about, I love the Ghost and it's crew and the Phantom is a cute and little elegant ship as well, I'm looking forward picking these up as soon as I can, thanks again for the pics, however I scrolled through the building process, because i don't want to spoil the fun :grin:

Is this a new piece?

p9uejuca0gvzdu54g.jpg

Nope, this piece has been around a while. Piece #2653, its first appearance was in 1991 as part of set #6542 Launch & Load Seaport. Its first appearance in (old) light gray was in 2000, in set #1355 Temple of Gloom. That groove is supposed to be a track for the rails of part #32028 and others like it.

Thanks for the review 'Scott-S6', I'm impressed.....they look better than the CW sets, though DSS's again.....oh, well it wouldn't be Lego Star Wars without them ! :laugh:

At least these two sets together look cool......hmm, might buy them even though I don't collect SW stuff any more. :wink:

Brick On Review On 'Scott-S6' ! :grin:

Thanks for the review!

Some of your photos are upside down by the way :tongue:

I was expecting the Phantom to be disappointing and it was, but the Ghost looks like an interesting build and I like the overall shape of it :sweet:

The 'Ghost' really looks like a chibi 'Falcon' :grin::.

Man that Stormtrooper is ugly.

Thanks for the review, but your photos are really made in a hurry.

It's not about posting reviews first, but doing them in a way the reader wants to follow it.

For your next review, please take some more time in doing it and a least rotate the upside down images. :look:

There would be more to add, but for now I leave it at that.

Thank you.

These were the first two new sets I picked up (along with the Mos Eisley Cantina) and I am happy with both of them. The UK price of £69.99 on The Ghost was particularly pleasing as I was expecting it to be a bit more expensive than that.

Thanks for your review on these sets, In my opinion the "phantom" makes no sense with its capacity to attach to the "ghost", its just the way to drain more money from our wallets because it barely has any play features other than that and it looks pretty lame alone, I actually think that the "ghost" looks better without it, regarding to your review, its always good to have an early look at these new sets, thanks again.

Agreed, I pretty much just got it for Ezra and Chopper. I'll also be compelled to get whatever set includes Sabine.

Good heavens--Brickset is telling me that the Phantom is $25 US for 234 pieces, or two minifigures and a flying brick. That's crazy. I like the concept of both ships, but I think I'm only going to get these if they turn up on clearance.

Is there much room for the characters to move around in the interior, though? I like ships where the characters can actually play around inside as opposed to being stuck in a cockpit. (Which makes me wonder how Ezra is supposed to get into the main part of the ship short of putting on his helmet, opening the cockpit, and floating outside.)

Thanks for your review on these sets, In my opinion the "phantom" makes no sense with its capacity to attach to the "ghost", its just the way to drain more money from our wallets because it barely has any play features other than that and it looks pretty lame alone, I actually think that the "ghost" looks better without it, regarding to your review, its always good to have an early look at these new sets, thanks again.

As a counterpoint to this comment, I actually quite like the phantom ship. It reminds me of more classic Star Wars ships, bulkier and less sleek. I am not so much interested in the minifigure, but I have got the phantom at home waiting for me to have a spare evening to build it.

I've reviewed the Ghost on my own site.. It's a good model, just not great fun to build from my perspective. I think it's also £20 over priced, but that's a license for you. My other issue is the White gives it too much of a polished feel, it's a rebel ship and needs a darker, worn look. I understand there is only so much they can do with colours. I also wish they'd spend more time on the under carriage with these models (i'm not expecting full technics, but 2×2 Slide Shoe Round pieces to rest on is weak).

Aside from that it's a really sturdy ship and it'll be great for kids as it has lots of playability, even without the Phantom.

Bare in mind rebels takes place in the early stages of the rebellion. I like the set. Though seems a bit repetitive. Review was very detailed, thanks!

Edit: was supposed to be quoting the user above me, apparently the quote button doesn't want to work on my tablet.

Edited by aaroncb

Thanks for the review, that mini astro-droid looks cute! :blush:

Is the Stormtrooper helmet a new mould, or the old mould with a new print? I agree with others, it looks ugly and well... too detailed? :wacko: I think Lego prints look better when they're simpler.

Thanks for the review, that mini astro-droid looks cute! :blush:

Is the Stormtrooper helmet a new mould, or the old mould with a new print? I agree with others, it looks ugly and well... too detailed? :wacko: I think Lego prints look better when they're simpler.

I'm pretty sure its the same mold. My problem with it is the mouth grill. It should never be that steep. The torso doesn't even look like a stormtropers.

For someone who is only usually interested in the OT and some PT sets (avoided CW like the plague) I decided to take the plunge and buy these two sets. I'm not usually bothered with the EU stuff but these sets and characters look good and are much closer to the OT than anything else. The Ghost was a nice build and would make a great play set for a kid, especially with the Phantom add on. If the cartoon is a hit then I can see the Ghost becoming quite iconic.

I'm pretty sure its the same mold. My problem with it is the mouth grill. It should never be that steep. The torso doesn't even look like a stormtropers.

Ah ok, thanks.

Is Zeb's head made of rubber or hard plastic?

It doesn't feel as hard as regular lego plastic but it much less rubbery than the clone wars alien heads.

I'm probably in the minority. I actually love some of these type ships. The clunky old freighters and some of the more distinct oddballs from the EU and not simply the classic OT ships. Stuff that looks great parked next to the MF. I love the Sith Fury and the Jedi Defender (OK the Republic Striker is a resounding MEH!) I wish they would have done more along these lines. Stuff like Dash Rendars Outrider and the D5 Mantis from SWTOR. Or the SWTOR Smuggler ship.