Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

Ambassador Project - Set Suggestions

Design a NEW LEGO Pirates Sub-Theme

DETERMINE THE SETS

This is where you get to suggests sets!

Also, if you've like to help define the factions (change the names backstory, even the faction itself), please visit the Defining the Factions thread.

What to do

• You may post ideas in the form of written descriptions, MOCs, illustrations, 3D renderings or found images and videos which represent your idea.
  • You may provide feedback or expand upon something another contributor has shared.
  • You may mention the minfigure(s) which may be included with a set but develop minifigure ideas in the Determine the Minifigures thread when it becomes available.

Set Name

Category (for part count and price point approximation)

Faction (Merchants, Haven Guard or Smugglers)

Description

Main Elements / Play Features

Minifigure(s)

Accessories

Please submit your suggestions using the following format:

Set Name: Fisherman's Catch

Category: 1

Faction: The Merchants

Description: A simple set comprised of a fisherman and dingy with all the accessories necessary for catching fish.

Main Elements / Play Features: A dingy with it's typical components (oars, flag, flagpole and bricks for seat)

Minifigures: 2 -1 Fisherman (The Merchants) and 1 Smuggler (Pirates)

Accessories: Wooden basket, fishing net, fishing rod and fish.

Categories

Category 1 - $3.50 - 1 minifigures, 20-30 pieces

Category 2 - $7.00 - 1 minifigures, 60-70 pieces

Category 3 - $12.00 - 2 minifigures, 80-90 pieces

Category 4 - $15.00 - 2 minifigures, 120-140 pieces

Category 5 - $20.00-$25.00 - 2-3 minifigures, 150-200 pieces

Category 6 - $30.00-$35.00 - 2-3 minifigures, 250 pieces

Category 7 - $40.00-$50.00 - 3-4 minifigures, 400

Category 8 - $100.00 - 6-7 minifigures, 800-1000 pieces

All prices are in US dollars.

What happens next?

Timeline

• Set suggestions will be taken from Saturday June 7.
  • The report of findings will become available afterwards.

Set Name: Fort Nassau

Category: 8

Faction: The Haven Guard

Description: A large fort acting as the main base for the Haven Guard. Inspired by real Dutch fort of the same name, Fort Nassau rivals Eldorado Fortress but is vastly different in structure.

Main Elements / Play Features: Fort Nassau could built upon the 'Baseplate 32 x 48 x 6 Raised with Corner Pits and Mountinous Pattern' (30271px3) base plate (4990 Rock Raiders HQ, 5986 Amazon Ancient Ruins, etc). Further details to be determined during discussion.

Minifigures: 1 Haven Guard leader, 4 Haven Guards and 2 Smugglers/Pirates.

Accessories: The entire gambit of accessories present in the faction. As with all large sets in the LEGO Pirates theme a palm tree and cannons are essential.

post-273-0-50266800-1400542282_thumb.jpg

post-273-0-39788000-1400542293_thumb.jpg

post-273-0-46850000-1400543410_thumb.jpg

Set Name: (I have difficulties to find a good city name that doesn't really exists and don't sound like spanish or dutch)

Faction: The Merchants

Description: Home of the merchants, with a dock and stores, and a guard's patrol.

Main Elements / Play Features: A dock, 3-4 merchant store/house, a small sized boat

Minifigures: 3 merchants, 1 merchant's wife, 1 child, 2 guards

Accessories: goods to be loaded on the boat, various town life accessories

This could be the main set for the merchant, and it could be joined to a guard's fort set. It represents the town's everyday life, with dock activities.

As an example I'll take Kabel's Thorshaven:

12499743814_f912eb3d58.jpg

I like the idea of a large fort based on something historical. A question though; how does TLG feel about producing the large formed baseplates? How would that raise the cost instead of say four modular towers with connecting wall pieces and maybe even a wall extension set?

As for the merchants you could have small modular shops. Maybe two or three in one set then the others sold as single buildings.

For the smugglers you would need an island and cove. A hidden base of operations.

A question though; how does TLG feel about producing the large formed baseplates?

That's a good question, are raised baseplates still being produced for modern sets?

A baseplate however is not essential.

Set Name: Smugglers Top

Category: 6 or 7

Faction: The Smugglers

Description: A clifftop or mountain-top look out / signal tower used by the Smugglers to alert their ships when the Haven Guard.

Main Elements / Play Features: A small tower structure built on craggy rocks (I.e. BURPS). It would need some form of large brick-built telescope and a method of signalling ships.

Minifigures: 3 Smugglers and possibly 1 Haven Guard.

Accessories: If a clifftop lookout a snooping Haven Guard in a dingy could be included.

I feel like smaller sets are going to be neglected here, as most people focus on exciting larger sets... here are several small-scale sets. I have tried to give the smallest sets fun features, rather than just being 'Soldier's Arsenal' style accessory packs.

Set Name: Card Challenge

Faction: Merchants.

Description: The merchant invites you to play a game of chance. Will you pick the right card to win the prize?

Main Elements / Play Features: A table set up with three 'cards' on it and a silver ingot.

Minifigures: One Merchant.

Accessories: One table, three 1x2 tiles with playing cards printed on them, one silver ingot.

Set Name: Soldier's Watch

Faction: Haven Guard

Description: The Soldier keeps watch and is ready to light a fire the moment he spots Smuggling activity.

Main Elements / Play Features: I don't know if this can be done in a very small set, but it would be neat if there could be a pyre set up with some kind of flip-action fire so that a flame piece hidden within the pyre can be rotated upwards to be revealed.

Minifigures: One Haven Guard.

Accessories: Spyglass, a couple of weapons, alarm fire.

Set Name: Smuggler's Camouflage

Faction: Smugglers

Description: This smuggler is ready to blend into the jungle to avoid being noticed!

Main Elements / Play Features: Accessories to clip onto the smuggler to 'disguise' him as a plant.

Minifigures: One Smuggler.

Accessories: Five accessories. Two clip onto the base of the feet, two are held in the hands and one goes around the neck or on the head. When worn together, the minifig 'transforms' into a tree. The piece worn on the head could have a parrot on it to give the set more character, and one of the handheld pieces could be mounted on a rifle to make it look like a 'branch' and also so the smuggler has a way of defending himself should his disguise fail.

Set Name: Harbour Patrol

Category: 3

Faction: Haven Guard / Smugglers

Description: The Smugglers like to work at night, but the harbour is always being watched.

Main Elements / Play Features: Two main parts, one being a small harbour section with crates and bollards, the other being a small rowboat with more crates on in and a lantern at the front.

Minifigures: One Haven Guard soldier, one Smuggler.

Accessories: Weapons, crates, lanterns (smugglers work at night and so does the guard), maybe a mounted fishing pole to give the harbour more character, and/or because the guard gets bored.

Set Name: Soldier's Watch

Description: The Soldier keeps watch and is ready to light a fire the moment he spots Smuggling activity.

Main Elements / Play Features: I don't know if this can be done in a very small set, but it would be neat if there could be a pyre set up with some kind of flip-action fire so that a flame piece hidden within the pyre can be rotated upwards to be revealed.

Years ago I created a small Sentry Box MOC - maybe replace the palm tree with your flip-action pyre and we'd have something...

post-273-0-35050600-1400819236_thumb.jpg

Set Name: The Fastlane Fluyt

Faction: Merchants.

Description: A cargo fluyt filled with goods.

Main Elements / Play Features: Being a ship it would be comprised of all the usual ship elements including hull pieces, masts, sails, etc. There would be generous cargo space in the hull and a crane to lower cargo.

Minifigures: 6 Merchants and 2 Smugglers (attempting to sabotage the Fluyt)

Accessories: The smugglers would have a dinghy and tools such as saws and dynamite to sabotage the ship. The cargo fluyt would have barrels of supplies and possibly live stock like chickens, cows and pigs.

post-273-0-18935800-1400848294_thumb.jpg

post-273-0-73821400-1400848314_thumb.jpg

Set Name: Smuggler's Ox Cart

Faction: Smugglers

Description: This smuggler is passing his secret load without being noticed!

Main Elements / Play Features: An ox cart with a secret compartmen (like the 6038 wolfpack renegades)

Minifigures: One Smuggler, one haven guard, two cows.

Accessories: the idea is to similar to the wolfpack cart, but with two "ox", in the upper part yellow-tan bricks like bundles of straw and a pitchfork to mislead the guard, beneath the straw is hidden the prohibited cargo

Set Name. Reef Showdown

Category 8

Faction Merchants, Haven Guard, Smugglers

Description the merchants and haven guard have teamed up to take out the smugglers! The merchants have suited up their fastest ship, the Camile, and are bearing down on the smugglers. The smugglers rush to load up their schooner, the east wind, to escape before they are crushed by the merchants and haven guard! On the island where the smugglers have stored their goods a smuggler tries to delay the approaching enemy with a mortar! A haven officer in a row boat scopes out the scene before there faction brings in their ships. The rest of the action can be decided by the buyer!

Main Elements 2 full ships (Camile and East Wind), 2 row boats (Smugglers loading boat and haven scout boat), island with mortar

Minifigure(s) 2 haven guard, 3 smugglers, 3 merchants

Accessories lots of weapons and stuff

It would look like this:

14067796590_d8d6dd9ca2.jpg

image by captaingoldenhook, on Flickr

Lots of suggestions coming in at the lower end and even more at the higher end.

Any ideas for the mid-sized sets?

For a medium size set How about a market square (see Black Swan on Market Day currently in Historical Forum) . There could be say four different stands selling goods with a seller for each maybe a small brick built tree or fountain. Add a couple buyers, maybe smugglers in disguise.

As for a larger set how about merchant shops that are modular. Sold separately or in pairs.

Set Name: Nassau Haven

Category: 5

Faction: Merchants, Haven Guards

Description: Trading harbour

Main Elements / Play Features: A Haven Guard tower with cannon, a cage with a monkey, a cranetower and a little boat. The merchant(s) is preparing his fright for shipping into the world, while a pirate(smuggler) is hidden in the crane tower. He has organized illegal indian artefacts and is looking to an oppertunity to smuggle it out. But be careful little smuggler, there is a Haven Guard on the tower. Will the smuggler escape or will he try to kill the Haven Guard and the merchant to get all the goods?

The set is connectable via technic pins to 6242 and hopefully to Fort Nassau.

Minifigures: One Smuggler, one haven guard, 1 or 2 merchants,

Accessories: barrels, boxes, dynamits, weapons,monkey, a Haven Guard flag, a merchant flag and two cups as indian artefacts

14237455256_a873716b5e_z.jpg

14280757533_9de89cd27c_z.jpg

14073960378_a36b97a4fe_z.jpg

Edited by Matthias130182

Wait.... No Armada??? :pir-cry_sad: :pir-cry_sad: :pir-cry_sad: :pir-cry_sad: :pir-cry_sad: :pir-cry_sad: :pir-cry_sad: :pir-cry_sad: :pir-cry_sad: :pir-cry_sad: :pir-cry_sad: :pir-cry_sad: :pir-cry_sad: :pir-cry_sad: :pir-cry_sad: :pir-cry_sad:

This is unbearable pain! I... I.... I must just suck it up and make this post anyways *tears drip onto keyboard*

Alright....

Set Name: HMS Swordfish

Description: A sleek Haven Guard sloop to patrol the waters. 4 cannons 1 deck (similar to brickbeards bounty) with Haven Guard sails (It would have been a conquistador boat... if not for.... :pir-cry_sad:) and Flags. A captain's cabin and two masts. A bowsprit, forecastle, rigging that leads to all "crow's nest areas" and a net hanging for prisoners or treasure (like all ships)

Main Elements: Firing Cannons, A crows nest where the minifigs can ACTUALLY SEE instead of having to look through a sail, and a ladder to it. The captains, cabin roof collapses if you pull out some little holder-upper thingies :pir-tongue: (like the thing that holds up the mast on the Armada Flagship) The bowsprit will fall if you pull the forecastle's floor forward.

Minifigs: 3 Haven Guard soldiers, A captain, a Smuggler prisoner, a deckhand, and the lieutenant

Accessories: A treasure chest and map, some barrels and crates of goods, rifles for the Soldiers, and the weapons taken from the smuggler. Handcuffs for Smuggler. A compass for the captain. A broom for the deckhand.

Hello, I'm new here and was not sure about registering earlier since most of the MOCs on here were enormous and dwarfed anything I have ever built, but since you appear to be in need of more small/medium sets for this project, I thought I might be able to offer a suggestion or two.

Notably, I think the Pirates theme in general could use some more small ships, bigger than the rowboats but not as large as their ships which use the big hull pieces. The only one like these in the Pirates theme was the ship included in the Imperial Trading Post, and I do wonder why no more were designed. I am putting my best one out here as a possible midsized set in the new subtheme.

P5300001_zpsb85923c5.jpg

P5300002_zps269bdc7c.jpg

P5300004_zps029672f7.jpg

Set Name: Stealth Runner

Category: 4

Faction: The Smugglers

Description: A small, fast ship with fore-and-aft sails and light weapons.

Main Elements / Play Features: Two sailboat-type masts rigged with fore-and-aft sails, six swivel guns made of cylindrical pieces, lantern on stern, small steering wheel for helm. Hull made out of basic bricks and sloped pieces.

Minifigures: 3 -3 Smugglers (Pirates), one with a captain's hat or tricorn.

Accessories: 2 cutlasses, 2 pistols, 1 musket, treasure chest and barrels for cargo.

This would be a small, fast, and maneuverable ship used by the Smugglers to run illicit goods in and out of Port Brickhaven quickly and quietly without alerting the Haven Guards. I built the ship as a pirate raider, hence the skull motif which will have to be replaced when the new design aesthetics for the Smugglers are decided on.

Edited by Random Guy

Set Name: The Calamari Cutter

Category: 3

Faction: Merchants

Description: A small ship like the cutter from the Imperial Trading Post

Main Elements / Play Features: Entirely brick-built hull but would have unique sails.

Minifigures: Two merchants

Accessories: A few barrels containing cargo

Here is a MOC by Cherno which illustrates the concept:

crown_5bjpg2uof.jpg

I'm wondering what size categories and factions still need to be covered... I can try to think of sets to fill in gaps that might be missing.

I'm wondering what size categories and factions still need to be covered... I can try to think of sets to fill in gaps that might be missing.

Each faction should probably have a small ship between category 3 and category 5. Smugglers and Merchants are covered, but the Haven Guard would have a patrol boat.

Set Name: Treasure Heist

Faction: Merchants

Description: A house with a dock and sailboat.

Main Elements / Play Features: The house contains a secret compartment with a treasure chest inside it. Ideally, the house would be built on a platform over part of the dock with a ladder leading to it. The boat is identical to the one from Enchanted Island with two fore and aft sails.

Minifigures: One merchant, one smuggler

Accessories: One pistol, one cutlass, one musket, two barrels, treasure chest.

The basic idea here is that the smuggler is trying to steal the merchant's treasure chest. He has to climb the ladder, break into the house, find the secret compartment, and get back to his boat without the merchant (armed with a musket) noticing.

Edited by Random Guy

Each faction should probably have a small ship between category 3 and category 5. Smugglers and Merchants are covered, but the Haven Guard would have a patrol boat.

P6030005_zps6503e927.jpg

Set Name: Haven Gunboat

Description: A small ship carrying a large cannon.

Main Elements / Play Features: Single-masted ship with brick-built hull. Carries at least one large square-rigged sail, probably some fore-and-aft sails as well. Armed with a turntable-mounted cannon amidships and likely with smaller swivel guns as well.

Minifigures: Three Haven Guards, two soldiers with muskets and one officer with a pistol and cutlass.

Accessories: A cannon, two muskets, a pistol, and a cutlass.

P6030005_zps6503e927.jpg

Set Name: Haven Gunboat

Description: A small ship carrying a large cannon.

Main Elements / Play Features: Single-masted ship with brick-built hull. Carries at least one large square-rigged sail, probably some fore-and-aft sails as well. Armed with a turntable-mounted cannon amidships and likely with smaller swivel guns as well.

Minifigures: Three Haven Guards, two soldiers with muskets and one officer with a pistol and cutlass.

Accessories: A cannon, two muskets, a pistol, and a cutlass.

that is the same ship as the pirate boat isnt it ^.^

*Is Still Mourning The Fact That The Armada Faction Isn't Included*