Mister Phes

Ambassador Project - Sub-Theme Suggestions - POLL RESULTS

Voting Time  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Which should be the next LEGO Pirates Sub-Theme?

• The West Brick Trading Company
    • Quest for the Lost City
    • The Settlers
    • The Treasure Fleet

Design a NEW LEGO Pirates Sub-Theme

SUB-THEME POLL

And the Winner is...

The West Brick Trading Company

post-273-0-78946100-1400465031_thumb.jpg

Poll Choices

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The West Brick Trading Company

The Merchants of the West Brick Trading Company hail from the bustling Port van Brickhaven which boasts more trade than the Imperial Trading Post... But the Merchants must be on guard or the LEGO Pirates will plunder their heavily laden Cargo Fluyts to restock their parrot's cracker supply!

Adding to their challenges the Smugglers use stealth and cunning to sneak in and out of Port van Brickhaven to sell their own brand of crackers! The Smugglers are based in their guild deep within the Forsaken Bayou and have ways for concealing their identity so nobody suspects they're coming!

But Mayor Verblocken has her suspicions and has called upon the help of the Haven Guard to put a stop to the Smugglers once and for all! Based in Fort Nassau, the Haven Guard patrols the port at all times.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quest for the Lost City

Enchanted by tales of a lost city built entirely from gold the Imperial Armada launches an expedition. Lead by their most honoured hero, Fernando Plume they venture deep into the jungle. Slight problem... he only has half a map!

In hot pursuit is the notorious privateer, Commodore Hornbricker who has been commissioned by the Imperial Guard to reach the lost city before the Armada! Hornbricker happens to possess the other half of the map but must sieze the first half from Plume to get there first.

All the while both parties must face traps set by the jungle's mysterious inhabitants, the Amazons, a tribe of noble female warriors who wish to ensure the lost city remains lost forever!

The Settlers

The Settlers have travlled half way across the globe to make their new home, led by the pioneer John Halfsquat who tames the land with his trusty hatchet.

The Settlers must build everything scratch and if they're lucky they can sell their surplus at Port van Brickhaven or the Imperial Trading Post... Providing their Trade Galleon is not plundered by LEGO Pirates on the way there!

Their Islander neighbours aren't too impressed however, as they fear The Settlers will eat all the JuJu berries which they need for their annual Berry Bash festival. I'll be up to John Halfsquat to negotiate who gets the biggest piece of the pie!

The Treasure Fleet

The Imperial Armada have been stuffing their galleons full of treasure to send back to the old country. Capitano Juan de Verde has mercilessly pillaged the Islanders of all their trinkets to impress his new king... and to ensure a large retirement fund!

Commodore Hornbricker, sailing under letter of marque from the Imperial Guard has been dispatched to capture the Treasure Fleet's booty, although its unclear whether he's acting under the best interests of the Islanders or the Crown.

Either way de Verde must put a stop to the meddlesome privateer before the King notices the Treasure Fleet has arrived late!

Instructions

We have compiled synopses based on the most popular suggestions you provided. We've done our best to incorporate as many ideas as possible but ultimately we couldn't include every suggestion.

You'll notice some of the suggestions have been combined and everything has been written into a cohesive child-friendly narrative. Well slightly more child-friendly!

Nonetheless, all details concerning the chosen sub-theme will be developed during the next phase of the project. So the backstory, names and locations are all tentative, and have been included for the benefit of giving poll voters something tangible when casting their vote.

Objective

Vote for a potential new sub-theme of the LEGO Pirates Theme.

What to do

Simply vote for the sub-theme you most prefer in the above poll.

Also, we'd really appreciate you posting in this thread to explain your preference.

Tell us why you found that sub-theme concept most appealing in as many words as you like.

Also, visit the Definition of Design constraints thread and help us determine the rules for designing our future set concepts.

What NOT to do!

• Please DO NOT submit further sub-theme suggestions as that phase of the project has concluded.
  • Please DO NOT submit detailed set suggestions as this process will occur later in the project. You may however briefly mention possible sets but these will not be taken into consideration later in the project.
  • Please DO NOT submit a wishlist of sets outside the sub-theme you voted for.

What happens next?

After the poll closes the votes will be tallied and published.

If there is a first place draw, the sub-themes with an equal number of votes shall square off against each other in another poll.

The sub-theme with the most votes will progress to the next phase of the project in which we determine the sets, minifigures and design aesthetic.

Got any Questions?

Please submit all queries in the Questions & Answers thread to keep this thread solely for voting responses.

What do I do now?

Yes, all suggestions include Pirates!

The aim is to do something which hasn't been done before so the suggestions are deliberately moving away from the pirates which have been previously released. However!

Smugglers are pirates! Just because they're not the pillage and plunder type doesn't automatically make them clean cut business men. Check out the Google Image Search for "Smugglers" - they're still depicted as your traditional pirate.

Privateers are also pirates (just to other nations). The captain may be more smartly dressed but that doesn't mean his crew aren't rough as nails. Also consider, not all privateer captains were in uniform like Barbossa in On Stranger Tides.

We get to determine how piratical our chosen sub-theme is.

I voted for The Treasure Fleet because it seem to fit the theme the best in my opinion. It has the most potential for pirate activities, and there is treasure. Quest for the Lost City would be a close second.

I voted the lost city-as described, it may not be perfect, but I think it would lead to the greatest set variety, fun story (half a map: brilliant!), and most play features.

I voted for the lost city. It has all the classic factions, and seems to be the one that LEGO could get behind most. While it still offers some opportunities for sorts of sets and conflicts that haven't been seen for a while, it also has that sense of familiarity. As for the preliminary synopsis, I love the half map idea, though I don't think all the islanders need to be female (less minifig variety pirate_hmpf.gif ) and... why would the pirates ever exchange, for their commission, an entire city of gold?!!!!! pir_laugh2.gif

I chose lost city because it seems like it could bring the most variety of sets to me. And it seems like it could be a really cool adventure for kids as well as bring a lot of cool sets for AFOLs.

I'll vote for Quest for the Lost City as well, as it's the only one among these suggestions really WORTH this poll.

I am actually surprised that the whole subtheme play turned out this way. Thought that we were supposed to create something classic, fairytale-ish, child friendly and long lasting. All of these failed to even mention that direction. These are nice ideas for a book, movie, game or anything for pirate/merchant/adventure fanatic grown ups... but definitely not worth a toy made by LEGO.

And only Quest for the Lost City seems to have some kind of diversity, possibility for large amount of sets and further evolution. There is a classy Spanish/Conquistado-rish faction, traditional British/French/Merchant-ish faction, and an Islander like faction... which shows that it's really nothing but a cheaper version of good old classic Pirates, but... let's get over it....

It's biggest minus - NO PIRATE FACTION.

Another minus - it seems to be only about expedition, so there's not much of a chance to get a merchant-ish city that we're all dreamed of... or is there?

Another thing - diverse these names! IMPERIAL ARMADA vs IMPERIAL GUARDS Seriously? I hope these are just temporarily...

And I agree with BFN that those Natives should really be males, not warrior chicks...

I'd say that they should be more of a mixture beetween primitive wild caribs and aztec/inka civilization...

And I agree with BFN that those Natives should really be males, not warrior chicks...

Well, at least a fair mixture the two genders for some decent variety. I know a few LEGO Islanders fans who'd be absolutely crushed if what it offered wasn't true to the original subtheme. pir_laugh2.gif

Anyway, I mostly agree with the points you brought up. The Merchants one seems like it would offer a neat new subtheme style and a large variety of ships, and the story could... possibly be modified to be a little more fun and adventure-oriented. It'd be my second choice behind the Lost City suggestion (which could also benefit from some modification, but I realize that, the description being tentative, there's not much cause to worry about it now). The other two, on the other hand... I can't possibly imagine Settlers fitting into LEGO's current standards, and I can't see the Treasure Fleet offering as much variety as the Lost City one, or even the Merchants, when both the factions are basically the same and... lack pirates. pir_laugh2.gif

Edited by BFN

i was hoping for more themes with the bigger focus on the pirates themselves, as cool as the imperial guards and armada are i really don't think there what draw kids to pirate Lego.

Never the less i chose the lost city, as i think it has potential for a really cool way for the pirates to show up. And i really dig the idea of the amazons, i feel there not enough good female minifigures out there,

I selected "The Settlers" becauase I think it has the opportunity for everyone to get what they want.

--The settlers themselves provide that civilian population everyone wants (with both a rustic/simple theme, as well as the opportunity for a large/well-established port to trade with). This means we can also have a rag-tag militia, and the trim & proper imperial soldiers.

--Pirates are a must obviously. I almost picked the "West Brick trading Co." but I did not like the smuggler theme. I could be proven wrong, but I don't think that the concept would translate well to a Lego set. Most sets already have a hidden storage play feature, and other than that it will look like any other pirate/merchant ship. Having pirates gives the option of more grimy looking minifigures, and more diversity in set appearance. A port full of smugglers and merchant ships, is just going to look like a normal port. Kids, and adults, want true conflict/battle and I don't think you are going to get it with the smuggler theme.

-- Islanders are also a cool theme because it adds a whole different element. We can see more of the ornate temples, and sets with play traps, etc. This is where I see a lot of the unique pieces, and play features.

I chose the West Brick Trading Company because it is something new- LEGO hasn't ever tried this before and it would be a fresh idea. The current pirates (2009) haven't really had anything to plunder and aren't plundering the imperial forces, so we need some other faction to play the victim here. It has more of a potential for a ship or two per faction. This also is the best possible way to get a set I have always wanted: a ship sailing into a harbor (whether peacefully or to plunder, I don't know). This high possibility in and of itself has sold the West Brick Trading Company sub-theme idea.

Voted for lost city... Reasons are the same as BFN.

I voted for the lost city. It has all the classic factions, and seems to be the one that LEGO could get behind most. While it still offers some opportunities for sorts of sets and conflicts that haven't been seen for a while, it also has that sense of familiarity. As for the preliminary synopsis, I love the half map idea, though I don't think all the islanders need to be female (less minifig variety pirate_hmpf.gif ) and... why would the pirates ever exchange, for their commission, an entire city of gold?!!!!! pir_laugh2.gif

I was assuming that these were subtheme suggestions within the Pirate theme, i.e. Pirates are a given, so we are just deciding what else should be included.

Yes, all suggestions include Pirates!

The aim is to do something which hasn't been done before so the suggestions are deliberately moving away from the pirates which have been previously released. However!

Smugglers are pirates! Just because they're not the pillage and plunder type doesn't automatically make them clean cut business men. Check out the Google Image Search for "Smugglers" - they're still depicted as your traditional pirate.

Privateers are also pirates (just to other nations). The captain may be more smartly dressed but that doesn't mean his crew aren't rough as nails. Also consider, not all privateer captains were in uniform like Barbossa in On Stranger Tides.

We get to determine how piratical our chosen sub-theme is.

Whereas I personally prefer the Trading Company idea (more of an 'open' setting, room for expansion, more waves), I voted for the Lost City, because I see more drive in it compared to the other suggestions. Powered by this half map idea, this race towards treasure, I think the higher 'play pace' is more suited for the main target audience, and as a one wave theme this might be important in order to convince TLC.

I voted for the lost city as I really liked the half map idea. And I think it could even be included in any of the propositions! Privateers, smugglers, pirates or imperial are meant to have maps ... so this could be a "play" feature.. ok, more a "buy more sets" feature, but nice anyway pirate_laugh2.gif (And it's only two printed 2x2 tiles)

While i've only recently emerged from my dark ages, and really only spent my time lurking, I had to put in a vote for the West Brick Trading option. The other three seem like sub-themes to the Trading Co. idea, and it's already given me a tonne of ideas to help me get back into things!

My initial urge was to vote for the Quest for the Lost City, and after thinking over the others I'm still voting for the Lost City theme pirate_wink.gif . It would have a good variety of sets including bases, ships, and environment. And those 3 factions are my favorites, if just a new spin on them. I do agree however, that an all female Islander group would probably run into trouble, both in marketing and political correctness.

After much thought I voted for The West Brick Trading Company. I feel that with three different factions there is more playability and room for expansion. With merchants, smugglers(aka pirates), and guard there are more ships, buildings, and all the small goodies to go with it. If there were to be a wave two then I would go for the Lost City Adventure (with male and female Amazons). I agree that the half map idea is great for any of the choices.

The West Brick Trading Company was my choice, because I always had been thought about the need for a "victim" (default_devil_laugh.gif ) for pirates and privateers, as the imperial troopers as their protectors, TLG gave to us soldiers and pirates, but never civilians!... well, a tiny merchant boat in the 6277 imperial trading post

I would have voted for the West Brick Trading Company but the bizarre implementation turned me off.

1. It has no pirates. "Smugglers" are not pirates.

2. "Haven Guard"? What sort of silly name is that. If they are the City guard they could be called "Brickhaven Guard" or something but it sounds like a religious cult the way it is presented.

3. What is the point of the third "faction" anyway? Why not simply have the company have it's own guards/troops like the historical companies had?

All the suggestions (yes mine included) had a some variant of company vs pirates and yet the result above is something that is company vs not-pirates + a third faction.

Response to above points by Mister Phes in the Questions & Answers thread.

Very much want this to happen. The West Brick Trading Company has my vote for the variety of potential sets coming out of it. I would really like the Haven Guard to have a more French or Dutch look to them vice the typical Brits, we have so many options there. And the idea of Smugglers is intriguing. Gauranteed I would buy the entire line if they did this, likely more than one of each set too.

As appealing as the West Brick Trading Company is to me, I can't see it appealing to kids that much. Some may find it interesting, but overall I really don't think kids today will be all that interested in a merchants faction, nor do I think they'll be more into smugglers smuggling goods versus pirates on the hunt for gold. The West Brick Trading Company would be an awesome line for any pirate AFOL. However, I think the Quest for the Lost City is more of what kids in the target age group of this project are looking for. I also think it has the possibility for expansion as more factions hear about the legend and try to steal the map pieces from the current factions. I voted for the Quest for the Lost City--not because I think it sounds like the most enjoyable for me, as I think I would probably enjoy the West Brick Trading Company the most--but because I feel like it will be more successful among the target audience.

For me it was a tie between the West Brick Trading Company and The Treasure Fleet.

I can see play opportunities in both:

The West Brick Trading Company has the perennial cops/robbers storyline but played out between Smugglers and the Haven Guard (they were known as The Revenue men in England), lots of small boats, secret passages, prisons to lock up in and escape from, etc...

The Treasure Fleet has the race storyline and I'm sure that we can invent numerous challenges and obstacles that both parties have to overcome.

In the end I went for West Brick Trading Company, as I personally think there are more possibilities there that play into the Pirates main areas of concern, that of boats and harbours; whereas I feel the Treasure Fleet is going to want to tend more towards jungle locations in order to facilitate the race aspect of it; probably at the expense of boats.