[MOC] VOC frigate "De Ruyter"

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic  – Started by Swan Dutchman , Apr 29 2014 03:57 PM

#1 Swan Dutchman

Swan Dutchman

Member: 32869

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

162A

After one and a half year of designing and building I am proud to present you VOC ship ‘De Ruyter’. It’s an imaginary frigate from the Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie (the Dutch East India Company) named after the famous Dutch admiral Michiel de Ruyter.

The ship’s build is mainly based on the HMS Surprise and a digital ship called L’Aurore designed by ‘virtual sailor’ Axeonalias. I also used blueprints of other ships and I got a lot of inspiration from other LEGO ship builders (thank you everyone).

The ship’s color scheme is based on the USS Constitution... I just like black, white and red. The hull touching the sea is completely in old brown to make a nice contrast with the red brown deck and masts.

The ship has a fully decorated gun deck and cabin for the VOC governor. They can be easily accessed by removing all the white wall sections and back of the ship. Special thanks to Perfectionist for his ‘removable wall technique’ and Dread Pirate Wesley for his cannon design.

Half the time went into building the LEGO part of the ship... a lot of time was also consumed to make the rigging, the sails, the flag and editing the photos. Many meters of different rope colors and sizes were used to make the rigging and the sails. The sails are sewn by hand and I think my patience has paid off. The edges of the sails contain thin metal wires to give the sails a windblown shape. For the flag I used a cloth printing technique, but the result was horrible: many samples failed and all were too stiff to be sewn and shaped. In the end a paper flag with metal wire in the edges gave the result I am pleased with.

After the ship was finished I made literally 450 photos... I know it’s a bit much... but white LEGO parts are pretty hard to photograph, especially on such a large object. After selecting the best photos I began editing them with GIMP... and the result is what you see here. I hope you enjoyed the photos.
More pictures can be found on my Flickr page: https://www.flickr.c...s/66389707@N08/

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 tedbeard

tedbeard

Member: 905

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:02 PM

Wow, it has been great following this project and well worth the wait for the great photos. They really add a nice setting to a lovely model. I will have to dive into the Flickr madness when I have more than a few minutes to appreciate the details.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Captain Hannibal Joost

Captain Hannibal Joost

Member: 29713

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

That's a great LEGO ship... and great photos (a small problem with the lighting on the sunset, but not a real problem ;)) !
So great details inside !

#4 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Member: 273

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

Oh yes, very nice! Glorioius in fact!   Bonaparte will be pleased with this.

This MOC is worthy of a blog post!

The presentation and editing is also spectucular...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Capt. Stabbin

Capt. Stabbin
  • Mister Captain Master

Member: 8447

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

Beautiful ship!  Great details, the sails, the rigging, everything!  Really nice photo editing. Is there any higher resolutions of the ship in the water?  I would really like to make that my background on my computer. Again, great job. You are an excellent ship builder.

Edit:  I was able to get a higher resolution off of your Flickr, thanks!

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Posted Image

#6 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Member: 273

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:25 PM

Also, we have decided to award Swan Dutchman the Ship Expert tag for this brilliant MOC!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Louie le Brickvalier

Louie le Brickvalier
  • Working in every corner of the ship!

Member: 78505

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:45 AM

Not only congratulations on the tag, but congratulations on finishing a masterpiece! Most excellent! It might be only a matter of days before you see this on the Classic-Pirates front page! Posted Image

#8 rodiziorobs

rodiziorobs

Member: 85779

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:47 AM

This is absolutely stunning.

#9 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!

Member: 4578

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

Beautiful ship! And you did a fantastic job on incorporating the MOC into a painting Posted Image
It actually looks more like a ship from the "Nederlandsche Handel Maatschappij", like this one. But it's a fantasy ship ofcourse and I like how it incorporates some nice elements from different ships and times.

Great job, and congratulations on your well-deserved Ship MOC Expert tag!
Got questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages

#10 Swan Dutchman

Swan Dutchman

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the kind comments!

montoumes, on 29 April 2014 - 04:17 PM, said:

That's a great LEGO ship... and great photos (a small problem with the lighting on the sunset, but not a real problem ;)) !
So great details inside !
Haha, yes, doing the lights correctly is really really hard... imagine the ship sailing on a unknown sea on Tatooine (that planet has 2 suns).

Capt. Stabbin, on 29 April 2014 - 06:36 PM, said:

Beautiful ship!  Great details, the sails, the rigging, everything!  Really nice photo editing. Is there any higher resolutions of the ship in the water?  I would really like to make that my background on my computer. Again, great job. You are an excellent ship builder.

Edit:  I was able to get a higher resolution off of your Flickr, thanks!
Glad you found the HD photos... I have one photo on my desktop as well Posted Image

Mister Phes, on 29 April 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

Also, we have decided to award Swan Dutchman the Ship Expert tag for this brilliant MOC!

Posted Image
Thank you very much... I am really honored!

Admiral Croissant, on 30 April 2014 - 10:11 AM, said:

Beautiful ship! And you did a fantastic job on incorporating the MOC into a painting Posted Image
It actually looks more like a ship from the "Nederlandsche Handel Maatschappij", like this one. But it's a fantasy ship ofcourse and I like how it incorporates some nice elements from different ships and times.

Great job, and congratulations on your well-deserved Ship MOC Expert tag!
Thank you! Yes, indeed, the resemblence is pretty much striking... although I haven't seen these pictures before. While designing the ship I noticed lots of small and bigger differences between various sailing ships... but to be honost, I am no expert on what build ought to be in what time. So, in the end I took HMS Surprise and a digitally designed ship as an example and began building  to 'what feels right'.

#11 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!

Member: 3891

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

Impressive, the presentation is really great.
Love the interior.
Gongratulations on your new tag (Join the club Posted Image  ).

#12 Captain Braunsfeld

Captain Braunsfeld

Member: 28880

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:43 PM

Mijnheer!
You made it! Congratulations - this a superb MOC.

And your photoshopping-skills are a perfect addition to you building capabilities - I actually tend to envy both!  Posted Image

WOW!
Yours,

Captain Braunsfeld

(Captain Samuel Marron of Mitgardia)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 Mr. Townsend

Mr. Townsend

Member: 19385

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:43 PM

Outstanding Swan Dutchman!  I love how you edited the photos into the painting.  My favorite part of this is how the white line across the top of the railing continuing through the waist.  Your sails are very clean and I'm interested if hand sewn means you didn't use a machine.  If that's the case I'm rather impressed.  Though I am impressed either way.  I searched through your flickr but I wish you had more pictures of your interior.  
The editing really is amazing. I have photoshop elements and I find it extremely difficult to edit out the entire background without losing bits of my rigging.  Maybe its easier with black string since the brown on my ship blends more to my background.  Do you find GIMP easier to use?  Before now I'd not heard of it.
I hope to see more ships in the future Swan Dutchman.  Brick on!

#14 Horatio

Horatio

Member: 19957

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:00 AM

She is a beautiful ship mate. Well done!
"England expects that every man will do his Duty." -Lord Nelson

#15 Swan Dutchman

Swan Dutchman

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

Sebeus I, on 30 April 2014 - 08:04 PM, said:

Impressive, the presentation is really great.
Love the interior.
Gongratulations on your new tag (Join the club Posted Image  ).

Captain Braunsfeld, on 30 April 2014 - 08:43 PM, said:

Mijnheer!
You made it! Congratulations - this a superb MOC.

And your photoshopping-skills are a perfect addition to you building capabilities - I actually tend to envy both!  Posted Image

WOW!
Thank you!

Mr. Townsend, on 30 April 2014 - 09:43 PM, said:

Outstanding Swan Dutchman!  I love how you edited the photos into the painting.  My favorite part of this is how the white line across the top of the railing continuing through the waist.  Your sails are very clean and I'm interested if hand sewn means you didn't use a machine.  If that's the case I'm rather impressed.  Though I am impressed either way.  I searched through your flickr but I wish you had more pictures of your interior.  
The editing really is amazing. I have photoshop elements and I find it extremely difficult to edit out the entire background without losing bits of my rigging.  Maybe its easier with black string since the brown on my ship blends more to my background.  Do you find GIMP easier to use?  Before now I'd not heard of it.
I hope to see more ships in the future Swan Dutchman.  Brick on!
Thank you Mr. Townsend! The sails are completely hand sewn indeed... no machine was used. I had several reasons for this: first, I don't have a sewing machine, secondly the gray lines on the sails are sewn in a way a machine can't sew and third I needed the seems to be very accurate to put metal wire in them. A drawback was that it took a lot of time and patience... about 5 to 8 hours for each sail depending on the size... it almost drove me mad (kidding of course Posted Image ).
And yes, I limited my photos to a certain number deliberately. I decided to put photos of the total ship on display and sea from all angles and to limit the detail scenes to the minifigures... that would make the ship alive in my opinion. The only photo I miss is the cook prepping soup on the stove on the gun deck... but I just could not get a good photo.
I have no clue how photoshop works, but I suppose GIMP is similar in functions? Anyway, GIMP is free to use and there is a nice online manual and tutorials. It takes some practise though, my first GIMP image is my logo (am going to redo that one with the new skills I learned), but it's doable... half a year ago I knew nothing of how to work GIMP. I also had some black strings fading into the background... they become blurry gray. I played a bit with clearity just on those strings (clearity scaled down to make them darker). If you are going to try GIMP I would recommend a few things: practise a bit first, use HD photos and use HD background (the backgrounds I used are at least 2MP found on google, but preferably 4MP) and most important: work in GIMP with layers (they make life so much easier). The photos with the ships in the sea are all made up in about 5 to 8 layers: the original ship, the ship with background cutout, the original background, the painted ship from the background cutout, a layer of my ship turned into the right scale to match the background, a layer with the waving sea in front of the ship's hull, a layer with a restored background (from where the painted ship was cut out), and a final layer of my ship with the edges merged a bit (smoothing tool) with the background to have a seemless transition. Restoring backgrounds is really easy to do: use the clone tool and drag, and use the repair tool to merge and make a seamless effect... it's so easy that in one of my pictures the background is 50% not original... I extended it, because the picture was not high enough... so far nobody noticed it's a fake background Posted Image . For cutting out the ship I used the 'lasso' tool when zooming into the picture on 400%, this way you can cut it out very accurately... don't worry if it looks a bit cutout... you can use the smooth tool were necessary when you picture is almost done. I hope this helps a bit.
Ehm, well, this is my first ship, and likely also to be my only one in years to come... (although I still would like to build a galleon type).... I will certainly build more pirate theme based builds, but I like to build a lot of things... right now I have began with something from a famous theme park...

#16 Anio

Anio
  • I buy LEGO, then I just do something awesome with it.

Member: 5344

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

I rarely comment MOCs in that theme. But I have to congratulate you this time. You did a great job on that model.
You are definitely a meticulous MOCer, and I like that.

Swan Dutchman, on 01 May 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

The only photo I miss is the cook prepping soup on the stove on the gun deck... but I just could not get a good photo.
Personnally, I miss A LOT of photos. I would like to see how the ship is built.
You did nice pics, nice editing, etc. But technically speaking, I almost can not take anything from your pics. :/

#17 Superkalle

Superkalle

Member: 4755

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

Excellent work. And I like that you've used LEGO-style strings. Sometimes you see people using too thick strings, and then it looks out of scale. The way you did it is really tasteful!
Eurobricks Digital Design Forum - for all your LDD and Ldraw cravings

#18 Kolonialbeamter

Kolonialbeamter

Member: 118216

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

Congrats on finishing this splendid ship and a well deserved 'Ship Expert' tag, and on being frontpaged!
She truely lives up the potential promised in her WIP thread, I have to praise... everything about her and your presentation. But I really have to highlight again my admiration for your use of metal wires to give those sails that billowing effect, this is a genious way to combine lightweight material and a realistic depiction under sails!

Best regards

#19 Gunman

Gunman

Member: 10309

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

Very beautiful ship my friend.... I really like the "back" part of it... Congrats!

Sir Gunman the Lurikeen, proud member of Mitgardia
Hersir of Infantry , Economic titan

<3 Tarja Turunen for life
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My flickR

#20 MassEditor

MassEditor
  • Loves Nocturnus, Hates UND.

Member: 120141

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:56 PM

A stunning build and presentation, absolutely every detail of this MOC is eye candy. The stern galley, bowsprit and rigging are incredibly elegant. Superb work, you have put together a masterpiece!
Lord Anfauglir of Nocturnus in the Guilds of Historica, proud holder of the title of Swamp Commodore.
Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#21 Borex

Borex

Member: 31834

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:03 PM

MICHAËLI ADRIANIFILIO RVITERO! Great moc!
Posted Image

#22 ManInATopHat

ManInATopHat

Member: 39467

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:34 PM

Magnificent! Stunning! Awesome! I have a thing for Dutch ships. Congratulations on finishing this monster of a masterpiece. This is just insane. The detail, the sail plan, the interior... I'm practically drooling. I hope to see more from you. Also, is there any other interior that you can get shots of?

Posted Image

Tally Ho Lads! Onwards!

The top hat sporting, lightsaber wielding redcoat.

#23 Swan Dutchman

Swan Dutchman

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

Thank you everyone for the kind comments!

ManInATopHat, on 01 May 2014 - 08:34 PM, said:

Magnificent! Stunning! Awesome! I have a thing for Dutch ships. Congratulations on finishing this monster of a masterpiece. This is just insane. The detail, the sail plan, the interior... I'm practically drooling. I hope to see more from you. Also, is there any other interior that you can get shots of?
There is one more photo of the gun deck on my Flickr page... but other than that I don't have any more interior shots. I am not going to make new photos... I like to present the project all in one go... and the project is finished for me Posted Image . There may be still some WIP photos on the internet though... they were only deleted just before I placed the final pictures.

#24 TheLegoDr

TheLegoDr
  • Yellow Panel Expert

Member: 19128

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:09 PM

Very beautiful creation. It is very streamlined and smooth.

I've recently been trying my hand at ships, but it is more along the lines of official LEGO style. Yours outdoes that considerably, so I know I won't compare to yours. But this will something great to look at for inspiration and tips.

The editing is spot on, as everyone else states.

I want to make sails for my ship, but hand sewn will not be an option since I haven't a clue how to do it and I'm sure my wife has better things to do...hah
Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

flickr
See my collection

#25 Cara

Cara
  • Green Captain of the Flying Piranha

Member: 12904

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:24 AM

Gorgeous photos that set off a great creation. I love your rigging and sails. Now I'm going to read further on flickr.
Guilds of Historica: Proud Mitgardian.  Astrun Egilsdóttir, Journeyman Bard
Tournament of Retribution III: Bluecoat, Deck Scrubber - Redcoats, Fear my Brush!

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My Flickr Album
Obsessively forcing square bricks into round shapes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: VOC, ship, frigate, sails, De Ruyter, lego

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links