Sign in to follow this  
mechamike

Prolouge, Kael's story, part 1, The dead son.

I have a background story for Kael,(Kaliphlin) how he ended up were and who he is now.

I will present this in a few free builds over time.

I humbly ask to claim in The University of Petraea's Doctorate of Historica Program

Landscape Design

-snow and ice

and

General Building (Other Techniques)

-minifig posing

CC welcome/thanks for watching

/mechamike

---------------------------------------------

Prolouge

Born in the cold barren north in Mitgardia as the second son and third offspring.

Father a skilled blacksmith of a common line with an appetite for both other men’s women and wine.

Mother tall and pride with a heart of ice. She just one of many born out of wedlock. The fruit of a clan leader who’s name until further be unspoken .

He weeps as his elder brother and protector is sent out to the clan lands as custom to become a man.

Even his mild sister words cant ease his growing worries.

As snow begins to melt from the trees he dreams of two olws that speak of his brothers faith.

Night after night until his father and mother follows the path in his dreams.

Mother cry out “I wish it was you that were dead instead”, standing in the door with hands still red from his brothers blood.

The wolfs that the olws spoke of had found it's prey.

14075423573_acca9e3e59_o.jpg

"Noooooo!!!!"

14052205911_2c5a575e3f_b.jpg

"I WILL hunt down and slay the beasts!"

14055408385_4e4e4ca508_b.jpg

Overview

Edited by mechamike

I really like the snowy landscape and the contrast with blood.... Beautiful moc

+1 DoH credit! Good work with the landscaping, it's nice to see some snow from a Kaliphlinian!

This is a really nice introduction moc - the stark landscape suits the somber tone of the story. The snowy hill is nicely elevated and contoured, the only part that sticks out is the very regular plate steps up from the front lefthand corner. The small tree and bush provide some much needed contrast and work well. I do feel that the back lefthand corner is crying out for something extra tho - some rockwork perhaps or a small frozen spring? I'd love to see some more photo angles too.

UoP +1 for the snow landscape and minifig posing - technically i was on the fence about how sparse everything is, but i was swayed by the undeniable emotional power in the scene. Nice work! :classic:

Really nice job; great snowy environment and tree. I'll give you +1 UoP DoH for Landscape Design: Snow and Ice. However, for minifig posing (not that your minifigs aren't posed well) I'll need a better demonstration that you mastered the technique. Great start :thumbup:

Thanks to everyone for the praise and for the points given so far.. And special tanks to Gabe for tips of improvement and Scaveola I promise i will do my best to get that +1 from You in my next moc. :classic:

This is a really nice introduction moc - the stark landscape suits the somber tone of the story. The snowy hill is nicely elevated and contoured, the only part that sticks out is the very regular plate steps up from the front lefthand corner. The small tree and bush provide some much needed contrast and work well. I do feel that the back lefthand corner is crying out for something extra tho - some rockwork perhaps or a small frozen spring? I'd love to see some more photo angles too.

Thanks for notice the "stairway", I re-worked it yesterday. Link to dropbox of new area. Better?

Here are other angles of the baseplate after yesterday little "touch-up".

I still have not implemented some, stone or frozen spring..

13884843747_9389da004b_c.jpg

14048778656_c0cc80c2a9_c.jpg

UoP +1 for the snow landscape and minifig posing - technically i was on the fence about how sparse everything is, but i was swayed by the undeniable emotional power in the scene. Nice work! :classic:

The build is pretty simple and only studs up.. Since this first base plate is just a part of a bigger coming scene i realized that i don't have enough parts to make the whole scene snotted, so I went for a more sparse look that was economically right for the whole scene in the end.

(I also ran out of white wedge plates but I have some incoming from Bricklink soon)

I have plans however for a smaller scene (with ice, and snow that will feature a little more advanced building.

Edited by mechamike

Great emotions in the build mate! I love the clean and simplicity in the build which I feel strenghten the emotions! Looking forward for the next builds!

Excellent work capturing the emotion of the scene :thumbup: I always like seeing snow scenes and you did a good job with this one :classic:

<snip>

Thanks for notice the "stairway", I re-worked it yesterday. Link to dropbox of new area. Better?

Yes, you are definitely on the right track! Scrambling up plate depths and using cheese slopes to break up the straight lines is a great start. Don't be afraid to use other elements such as 1x1 rounds, tiles, and curved slopes to create changes in texture too - this can be used to great effect in a monochromatic landscape like snow, but is generally useful for all types of landscaping.

Thanks for including the other pics - both are interesting views in themselves and worth showing. I really like the little cave at the back that narrows to rock and then still further to blackness... it has a real sense of mystery to it. It would be interesting to see this view with the dramatism of the figures in the background, perhaps it would tie into the mystical nature of the visions that your sigfig has? A reminder of the unknown reaches that his journey will take him to? Ok, i'm going off on a tangent now but you get my (snow)drift. :tongue:

I get where you are coming from with having a limited amount of parts to work with - i don't know what your collection is like but i acutely remember the frustration of being limited in my techniques simply b/cause i didn't have hundreds of one particular part to use. But that kind of restriction can be very fruitful creatively, as you search for different solutions to solve the problem in front of you. (it's also a great excuse to get stuck into some microscale :wink: )

Anyway i fear i'm rambling a bit now so i better head to bed (it's late here). I look forward to seeing your next installment of the story! :classic::thumbup:

Great scene and story! I look forward to seeing some more! The blood, axe and minifig posing convey a very emotional scene which you captured very well. I love the snowy hill, especially after you touched it up with a few more cheese slopes.

Nice scene, I like the trick of leaving the goriest part to the viewer's imagination :wink:

The snow landscaping is quite excellent as well!

UoP +1 for both the "snow and ice" and the "minifig posing" claims.

Very nice build, and great presentation too. It's very hard to photograph white on white but your moc stands out nicely. Very powerful.

:classic: