Sign in to follow this  
Hoexbroe

CIWL Nº 4250

Hi all,

I present you my latest MOC, a 16-wide model of the dining car WR-4250 from CIWL, currently registered at ÖBB (Austrian National Railways);

dsc06334_r_800.jpg

It was built in France in 1919, according to spanish building plans. A totol of 8 identical waggons were built.

These photos show the waggon from the "Kitchen" side.

dsc06346_r_800.jpg

dsc06342_r_800.jpg

dsc06343_r_800.jpg

Here are some photos of the real thing, in 3 different liveries;

Blue (Actual livery, and the one I pretend to do here);

http://www.brickshel...CIWL1/4250b.jpg

The lilla/purple;

http://www.brickshel...8_000-9_mz1.jpg

In famous Orient Express livery (Not my waggon, but the sister Nº 4252);

http://www.brickshel...b8d171e7740.jpg

When you watch the waggon from the "Aisle" side, this is what you see;

dsc06347_r_800.jpg

As mentioned, this spanish version of the coach is slightly shorter than other "normal" dining cars. This one seats 36 persons.

dsc06352_r_800.jpg

My youngest daughter (9yo) helped me do the 36 identical chairs...

dsc06351_r_800.jpg

And the kitchen itself;

dsc06348_r_800.jpg

Here´s a photo of th inside of the real thing, for your comparison;

http://www.brickshel...terieur-wr1.jpg

-And yes; My MOC has a dark blue carpet in the restaurant too! (Not appreciable in these photos)

The MOC can be classified as a SHIP, with 128 studs long and 16 studs wide.

A web-page dedicated to the restauration of this waggon;

http://www.stoomcent...blog.php?cat=15

CIWL in Wikipedia, which uses this very waggon as an example;

http://en.wikipedia....des_Wagons-Lits

My gallery in Brickshelf, once it has been moderated;

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=542587

One last farewell photo;

dsc06353_r_800.jpg

Edited by Hoexbroe

Wow you are a really MOC expert! *oh2*

It took me a few seconds to see if the model was made with metal or lego: ...the roof seemed lego ... but the wheels were different from anything I had seen up to now!

Awesome work! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Beautiful MOC. Are the wheels 6x6 discs? I think for SHIP, you may have to SWOOSH it in video. :laugh:

Fantastic detail work. It takes me forever to get the details right on a 7w model, can't imagine the time spent perfecting that beauty!

Thanks guys, for the comments!

Wow you are a really MOC expert! *oh2*

It took me a few seconds to see if the model was made with metal or lego: ...the roof seemed lego ... but the wheels were different from anything I had seen up to now!

Awesome work! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Beautiful MOC. Are the wheels 6x6 discs? I think for SHIP, you may have to SWOOSH it in video. :laugh:

The wheels are indeed 6x6 radar discs. "Inverted" and then with a 4x4 plate and 4x4 disc inside, pointing the other way round. I spend a long time studying photos, in order to get the look and feel of the real waggon.

It might not swoosh well (weighs a ton) -but it is still a Seriously Huge Investment in Pieces!

Fantastic detail work. It takes me forever to get the details right on a 7w model, can't imagine the time spent perfecting that beauty!

In this case I think detailing a big model like this is actually a lot easier. -BUT you have to make MORE of it...

WOW! This model is incredible and inspirational. I love all the detailing, you made great use of all the resolution 16 wide brings. The cutaway view is a great idea, I remember seeing cutaway views like this in 1940's and 50's era literature for Pullman sleeping cars.

One suggestion for the diaphragms, to eliminate the lip around the bottom of the 1x1 round bricks, you might want to use technic connectors,

62462.jpg held in with 32013.gif

though it currently has a legoland train look to it.

This ship is a monster! So how exactly does it fit on a track? Does it hold on to the outside of a 6-wide track? Well then it would slip off because the wheels are inverted 6x6 dishes. or is it just for show and can't go on a track? Also, are you going to build and engine in this size? because that would look simply epic. Great work!

The cutaway view is a great idea, I remember seeing cutaway views like this in 1940's and 50's era literature for Pullman sleeping cars.

One suggestion for the diaphragms, to eliminate the lip around the bottom of the 1x1 round bricks, you might want to use technic connectors,

though it currently has a legoland train look to it.

Yeah, I love that kind of cutaways in the popular science type of magazines! That´s exactly where I want to go!

For the diaphrams; Yeah, I have seen this solution on minifig-trains. Its very nice, but here I wanted to use what I had already in stock. There are 100´s of compromizes in this model...

I wonder what is the width of the Legoland miniland scale trains?

This ship is a monster! So how exactly does it fit on a track? Does it hold on to the outside of a 6-wide track? Well then it would slip off because the wheels are inverted 6x6 dishes. or is it just for show and can't go on a track? Also, are you going to build and engine in this size? because that would look simply epic. Great work!

Hehe... I was thinking about doing a section of straight track for it. I think the presentation would benefit hugely. BUT... The cost in pieces is prohibitive. I might try it though, once I dismantle my Wild West MegaMOC...

An engine is NOT in the books. (I wish though...) But I can imagine doing a single sleeper-car to go with it.

BUT.. If I was to do an engine; Which one to do? The German BR 18.4 has been done lots of times. A french one maybe? No, I dont have a single piece of dark green. Oh well...

Edited by Hoexbroe

For the diaphrams; Yeah, I have seen this solution on minifig-trains. Its very nice, but here I wanted to use what I had already in stock. There are 100´s of compromizes in this model...

I wonder what is the width of the Legoland miniland scale trains?

Of course with any lego model there will be compromises, but when faced with them your choices have been good. As for miniland trains, there is a good article in Railbricks 6 and it looks like they are 21 wide (at least the train on the cover).

Thanks for replying :D. I think that you should do some type of french train (I'm not too keen on the french) that fits the theme. Oh, I know! Maybe you could do a SNCF 231G 558! Well it is slightly green, but you could make it black or grey. :)

By the way, here is a little suggestion I have for you. I've noticed that the wheels bow outwards because of the weight so I would make the axle connecting the two wheels instead of one for each wheel. But as always, it is a suggestion after all so you could always not do it, so you don't have to do it if you don't want. ;)

Wow, very nicely done. I'm usually not in favour of bigger scales, but in this case I couldn't stop admiring it.

By the way, here is a little suggestion I have for you. I've noticed that the wheels bow outwards because of the weight so I would make the axle connecting the two wheels instead of one for each wheel. But as always, it is a suggestion after all so you could always not do it, so you don't have to do it if you don't want. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion, but I assure you that it is only an optical effect because of the angle of the photo. It is unfortunate that it appears so, but the wheels are perfectly straight.

BTW: The axle does in fact go all the way through both wheels!

Wow, that's big but absolutely amazing.

Nice job on the roof curves were my first thoughts. But then I saw the interior. I'm speechless.