Jump to content


Garbage Truck (7991) Pic Review


63 replies to this topic

#26 Darth Tater

Darth Tater

    Posts: 5
    Joined: 06-January 07
    Member: 1195

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:14 AM

The TRU in my area has three kits available and they are already having a 20% off sale.
The sale also applies to online orders.

The kits available were:

7991 Recycle Truck $15.97 CDN (10.99 Euro)
7992 Container Stacker $21.57 CDN (14.84 Euro)
7994 City Harbour $95.97 CDN (66.03 Euro)
7998 Heavy Hauler $38.37 CDN (26.40 Euro)

#27 zouave

zouave

    Posts: 763
    Joined: 10-April 07
    Member: 1518
    Country: USA

Posted 27 May 2007 - 02:19 AM

Woa! 8- You're pouring out the new sets.This one is a keeper.Stupid Toys-R-Us only has last years sets. >:-(

#28 iamded

iamded

  • Cannot neigh to save his life.


    Posts: 5033
    Joined: 09-January 07
    Member: 1225
    Country: New Zealand!

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:08 AM

Wow! Great review  *yoda* !! (I know that's pretty much how I start all comments regarding your reviews, but that's because they are great!) I wish I could say 'a must buy' like most other members, but I just don't have the money! What money I do have, I'm saving for the Castle line (as I have repetitively said before lol). So thanks for a great review, although one thing confuses me, why do they have a recycling symbol on a garbage truck?


Check out Eurobricks' RPG, Mafia and Wargames forum for the best fun.


#29 UniqueBuilder

UniqueBuilder

  • Mr. Dark Ages


    Posts: 1677
    Joined: 12-November 06
    Member: 1075
    Country: Norway

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:16 PM

View Postiamded, on May 27 2007, 08:08 AM, said:

So thanks for a great review, although one thing confuses me, why do they have a recycling symbol on a garbage truck?
Beacause they recycle it?? :-|  X-D

View Postzouave, on May 27 2007, 04:19 AM, said:

Woa! 8- You're pouring out the new sets.This one is a keeper.Stupid Toys-R-Us only has last years sets. >:-(
That's because this set isn't due to come out before June (5 days to go!!).. :'-)

I can't wait to buy this set.. *wub*



"I respect 50 Cent. He's the only person known to make 'me', 'me' and 'see' rhyme with the letter P."
-erikutt


The Dark Ages got me... Smell ya later!


2,718281828459045235360287471352662497757247093699959574966.....

#30 jngunsw

jngunsw

    Posts: 101
    Joined: 03-February 05
    Member: 204
    Country: Down Under

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:52 AM

best garbage truck ever ^^ a must for any city

thx for the review btw... esp the idea where u can load two bins at one go ^^





Edit: Don't quote the entire post if you don't quote anything from it.

Edited by Hobbes, 28 May 2007 - 04:15 PM.


#31 Piranha

Piranha

  • Tag! You're it


    Posts: 4404
    Joined: 07-April 07
    Member: 1506
    Country: USA

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:05 AM

I only got one question
Does it fit threw the new gas station's car wash?  X-D
After all those rubbish trucks can get pretty dirty
Piranha

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image
  


#32 Brick Miner

Brick Miner

  • Saloon Gambler


    Posts: 1766
    Joined: 02-February 06
    Member: 646

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:16 AM

i just picked up two of these at my local TRU...

i do have one complaint about the overall design...  there are about 5 areas which i feel the truck is "un-sturdy."  this really bothers me, as im used to official LEGO designs sandwiching all bricks and plates securely.

i think LEGO might have been trying to place this set in a lower price bracket, thus resulting in the "fragile" design.  don't get me wrong, this is a spectacular set, very well designed...  but with a few more pieces could have been better.

one, the front attachment is large enough that it should require more than a 1x4 brick to hold it on.  also, the exhaust pipes just "rest" against the top 2x4 white plate.  i wish there was an extra clip to hold them in place.  also, when you go to pick up the truck you have to grab the unit by the base, otherwise the back starts to lift from the truck (i think some type of locking element should have been implemented, the side technic axels don't do anything).

also, though minor, is that the seat the driver sits in is exposed on the back of the cabin...  a little strange, but not terrible.

anyway, everyone who gets this set should enjoy it, i like it a lot !!! and am happy to keep one MISB  ;-)

- BrickMiner
check out my about me thread.

also, check out The LEGO Western Expansion MOC Page at MOCpages.com !!!
and Brick Miner's Extras BrickLink.com store !!!

#33 Minish Man

Minish Man

    Posts: 25
    Joined: 02-June 07
    Member: 1640

Posted 15 June 2007 - 04:35 PM

View Postsimonwillems, on May 20 2007, 08:41 PM, said:

Not only does that brick upfront hold the rearview mirror but also the SNOT frontpiece. Removing the brick that holds it all together will require another brick like this (two of those are used now) to hold the front with the headlights.

I came across the same problem when making my european firetruck (the vehicle from the new firestation I based it on had the same problem), and solved it by putting one instead of two of those special bricks inside the cabin, in the middle next to the steering wheel. The design becomes less sturdy, but the car looks great with doors. The garbagetruck (13 euros right now here in Amsterdam!) has the same front.

Posted Image
Click to enlarge.

That truck is AWSOME! Nice to see a european fire truck MOC here ;-) Our fire engines always look so much more solid that those yanks :-P

And don't get into driving on the wrong side of the road :P, The wikipedia article on this is very interesting if ye want to hava look :-) http://en.wikipedia....ight-hand_drive


As for the garbage truck / review, looks awsome! I agree I'd have prefered green as our used to be so it seems the classic colour for me. Recently they changed them to white...i mean WHITE..for a GARBAGE TRUCK... :-/ So they are usualy a shade of brown  :-D

#34 UniqueBuilder

UniqueBuilder

  • Mr. Dark Ages


    Posts: 1677
    Joined: 12-November 06
    Member: 1075
    Country: Norway

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:21 PM

View PostMinish Man, on Jun 15 2007, 06:35 PM, said:

I agree I'd have prefered green as our used to be so it seems the classic colour for me. Recently they changed them to white...i mean WHITE..for a GARBAGE TRUCK... :-/ So they are usualy a shade of brown  :-D
Our garbage trucks are white.. 8-|

Posted Image

Trash OFF!



"I respect 50 Cent. He's the only person known to make 'me', 'me' and 'see' rhyme with the letter P."
-erikutt


The Dark Ages got me... Smell ya later!


2,718281828459045235360287471352662497757247093699959574966.....

#35 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • Flying Hippo that Shoots Lasers out of its butt


    Posts: 30214
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:25 PM

View PostUniqueBuilder, on Jun 15 2007, 07:21 PM, said:

Our garbage trucks are white.. 8-|

Trash OFF!

technically, this set is a recycle truck

Recycle on!

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide





Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image



Now playing Simon Persimmons in Walter Kovacs's Unrest in the Forest


#36 Minish Man

Minish Man

    Posts: 25
    Joined: 02-June 07
    Member: 1640

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:50 PM

View PostUniqueBuilder, on Jun 15 2007, 08:21 PM, said:

Our garbage trucks are white.. 8-|

Posted Image

Trash OFF!

You sure that isn't just snow covering over the grime ;-P

#37 iamded

iamded

  • Cannot neigh to save his life.


    Posts: 5033
    Joined: 09-January 07
    Member: 1225
    Country: New Zealand!

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:09 AM

View Posthinckley39, on Jun 15 2007, 07:25 PM, said:

technically, this set is a recycle truck

Recycle on!

Really? I thought it was technically a garbage truck, only with a recycling symbol on it. You know, to encourage people to not recycle, and throw all their recyclables in the trash. Wait...
But seriously, I actually did wonder why a garbage truck would have a recycling symbol on it. It confused me for quite some time. And if this is a recycling truck, where's the garbage truck?


Wait... where can you find recycling trucks??


Check out Eurobricks' RPG, Mafia and Wargames forum for the best fun.


#38 PaulC

PaulC

    Posts: 278
    Joined: 26-June 06
    Member: 832

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:10 PM

Where I live, the garbage and recycling trucks are now one and the same. They have separate compartments in the back for the bin men to put the trash and the different kinds of recycling, and they all have the recycling symbol on the side.

I think this is my favourite set from this year's city line, and Yoda's excellent review convinced me to pick one up. Even so, it needs quite a bit tweaking. The tweaks all seem minor, but I ended up adding around 35 extra pieces. I just want to add my voice and express solidarity with my Eurobricks brothers and sisters because I too will strike for car doors. So Asuka, this one's for you:

Posted Image
I prefer SimonWillems method of adding doors (nice Fire Truck!), although it means I had to lose the mirrors completely. I tried Snefroe's suggestion of rearward facing doors but to me it just didn't look quite right. Notice the extra fuel tanks to fill in the gaps underneath. The whole truck is one stud shorter to remove the gap between the cab and the body.

Posted Image
At the back of the cab, the driver now has a window at the top so he can check that the body is tipping correctly. I've fixed some of the "unsturdiness" mentioned by Brick Miner by securing the chimneys with a couple of clips. The black hand-holds right at the back have been replaced with white ones to keep the colour scheme consistent.

Posted Image
I've managed to get two minifgs in the cab sitting side by side (can you see how I did it?). The original seating position is just wrong (I don't understand why when they got it right on the cement mixer). I've added seatbacks and headrests and even a centre console and gear lever to keep my minifigs comfortable.

So you see, every set I buy from TLC is perfect! (At least when I've finished with them, they are!)

#39 simonwillems

simonwillems

  • Technic Campaigner


    Posts: 1351
    Joined: 08-December 06
    Member: 1116
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:21 PM

View PostMinish Man, on Jun 15 2007, 04:35 PM, said:

That truck is AWSOME! Nice to see a european fire truck MOC here ;-) Our fire engines always look so much more solid that those yanks :-P

Thanks!

View PostPaulC, on Jun 24 2007, 02:10 PM, said:

I prefer SimonWillems method of adding doors (nice Fire Truck!), although it means I had to lose the mirrors completely.

I never had any affection considering those mirrors (they are placed too low anyway) and if I can choose between mirrors or doors, I'd say: Doors!

Great job on the Garbage/recycling truck, it looks great with those seats inside and the way you made the cab fit two minifigs. I might even buy this set and perform the same modifications.

:-)

#40 Wout

Wout

    Posts: 2643
    Joined: 29-March 07
    Member: 1485
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:31 PM

Nice mocking, PaulC  *y*

Maybe I also do this when I get this set
Duke of Equestria

#41 Asuka

Asuka

  • Pictural Poet


    Posts: 6658
    Joined: 19-June 06
    Member: 816
    Country: Schnitzelland

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:50 PM

Very nice improvements, especially for the cab, PaulC!  :-$  *y*
But perhaps, if you really want some mirrors, you just could replace
those plates 1 x 2 with Door Rail from above the windscreen and add
two plates 1 x 1 with Clip Vertical and two bars 4L Light Sabre Blade
or so to attach something mirrorlike to them....  8-|
Anyways.... The Doors rule!  :'-)

#42 Sinner

Sinner

  • Mike's Magical Elf


    Posts: 19369
    Joined: 29-April 07
    Member: 1554
    Country: Australia

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:35 PM

View PostPaulC, on Jun 25 2007, 12:10 AM, said:

So you see, every set I buy from TLC is perfect! (At least when I've finished with them, they are!)

That is an excellent improvement. I haven't bought mine yet, I bought the Cement Mixer instead. I am planning on doing a similar conversion. Thanks for the ideas!





Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Full details on the Siegfried About Me page!


#43 highlandcattle

highlandcattle

    Posts: 558
    Joined: 04-July 06
    Member: 839

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:51 PM

Nice one PaulC, Looking much, much better. I plan on buying this set aswell.
My Bricklink My Flickr
My Trains:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image  Posted Image
Thank you PaulC

#44 alex54

alex54

  • CC reducer, city expander


    Posts: 1412
    Joined: 01-December 05
    Member: 560
    Country: France

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:04 PM

Just with few pieces and some imagination and a nice official LEGO set is so much better! Nice work PaulC!
I like the idea of having two figs in the truck, an advantage of the 6-wide vehicle that TLC doesn't use...
Can't wait to find it in stores...

Posted Image                        Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image


#45 marvinblue

marvinblue

    Posts: 319
    Joined: 26-June 07
    Member: 1717
    Country: Australia

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:29 AM

Hi all! I got this truck the other day and I've noticed one thing;
When you tip the rubbish out, it gets caught on the studs inside on the floor. I'm going to line it with 'flat' strips. (The smooth ones without studs. Don't know the technical term!!  :'-) )
"Where's the Ka-Boom?! There's supposed to be an Earth shattering Ka-Boom!"
"If I were you, I wouldn't dig into the past. I lived in some of that past, and I got out for a reason." - Homer J Simpson
"My blessing always available, but no guarantee!" - Dalai Lama


My Brickshelf Gallery

My BrickSet Collection

My "Would-like-to-have-list"!!

Aussie Lego Forum      Come check out where the Aussies hang out!!

#46 simonwillems

simonwillems

  • Technic Campaigner


    Posts: 1351
    Joined: 08-December 06
    Member: 1116
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:25 AM

View Postmarvinblue, on Jun 26 2007, 06:29 AM, said:

'flat' strips. (The smooth ones without studs. Don't know the technical term!!  :'-) )

Tiles!

Good luck  *y*

#47 Darth_Legois

Darth_Legois

  • Bagel Heretic


    Posts: 2241
    Joined: 03-April 07
    Member: 1496
    Country: Australia

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:41 PM

Saw 6 of these at my local toyworld (in Australia) i was very tempeted to buy some >:-)

#48 rupi

rupi

    Posts: 245
    Joined: 18-August 06
    Member: 912
    Country: Portugal

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:36 PM

View PostPaulC, on Jun 24 2007, 03:10 PM, said:

Where I live, the garbage and recycling trucks are now one and the same. They have separate compartments in the back for the bin men to put the trash and the different kinds of recycling, and they all have the recycling symbol on the side.

I think this is my favourite set from this year's city line, and Yoda's excellent review convinced me to pick one up. Even so, it needs quite a bit tweaking. The tweaks all seem minor, but I ended up adding around 35 extra pieces. I just want to add my voice and express solidarity with my Eurobricks brothers and sisters because I too will strike for car doors. So Asuka, this one's for you:

Posted Image
I prefer SimonWillems method of adding doors (nice Fire Truck!), although it means I had to lose the mirrors completely. I tried Snefroe's suggestion of rearward facing doors but to me it just didn't look quite right. Notice the extra fuel tanks to fill in the gaps underneath. The whole truck is one stud shorter to remove the gap between the cab and the body.

Posted Image
At the back of the cab, the driver now has a window at the top so he can check that the body is tipping correctly. I've fixed some of the "unsturdiness" mentioned by Brick Miner by securing the chimneys with a couple of clips. The black hand-holds right at the back have been replaced with white ones to keep the colour scheme consistent.

Posted Image
I've managed to get two minifgs in the cab sitting side by side (can you see how I did it?). The original seating position is just wrong (I don't understand why when they got it right on the cement mixer). I've added seatbacks and headrests and even a centre console and gear lever to keep my minifigs comfortable.

So you see, every set I buy from TLC is perfect! (At least when I've finished with them, they are!)

I have to say that is a great Mod PaulC, now you can say you have a great set.
Why didn't Lego do it this way in the beggining? for only 35 extra pieces?
I don't understand why the 6w trucks fit only 1 minifig and have no doors...
Your's perfect now.

#49 Mr Hobbles

Mr Hobbles

    Posts: 534
    Joined: 19-March 07
    Member: 1458
    Country: Scotland

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:50 AM

I can't remember where it was but I remember reading an interview with a set designer.

The designer stated that they were all given assignments within a specific theme, to meet a specific price point.  So no matter how many pieces the set has, it must meet the price point they are given.

Its fair enough that you would have appreciated 35 more pieces for, what, maybe 40-60p more?  But they don't dictate the price point, LEGO does.  7991 is what they guy came up with for the 12.99 price point.

Any set can be improved with a few more pieces.  But this their way to catering to both the kids and the AFOL's imo.  The kids can play with the set out of the box, and the AFOL's can add more bricks to it as they see fit.  And in the meantime they fit the price point LEGO has set them.

#50 Sinner

Sinner

  • Mike's Magical Elf


    Posts: 19369
    Joined: 29-April 07
    Member: 1554
    Country: Australia

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:53 AM

View PostMr Hobbles, on Jun 27 2007, 11:50 AM, said:

But they don't dictate the price point, LEGO does.  7991 is what they guy came up with for the 12.99 price point.

Have you ever tried weighing sets that are in the same range? I did with Grand Titan, Stealth Hunter and Fire Vulture and they are very close. I doubt this is an accident. I was very impressed that the Cement Mixer and the Dump Truck were the same price. Both are very different after all. (I look forward to weighing those two; currently I only have the cement mixer.)





Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Full details on the Siegfried About Me page!




Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users