Mister Phes

Design a NEW LEGO Pirates Sub-Theme - Ambassador Project - Overview

Design a NEW LEGO Pirates Sub-Theme

PROJECT OVERVIEW

That's right crew, we're going to conceptualise a new LEGO Pirates Sub-theme from start to finish and then submit the end result to the LEGO Group.

The sub-theme would contain a range of sets targetted at various price points and there would be a minimial backstory with a couple of significant characters. The aim is to capture the essence of the late 80's/early 90's pirate sets and produce a contemporary new sub-theme. The project would involve forming a team with a range of skills, so we'd require set designers (I.e. talented MOCers), customizers, graphic designers, creative writers or anybody with something valuable to contribute.

By posting in any of the threads relating to this project you are bound to the Terms & Conditions.

Rewards

We don't expect you to contribute your time and skills for nothing!

• Star contributors will receive a tag - the more quality contributions you make, the nicer the tag you'll receive!
    sml_gallery_273_58_238.pngsml_gallery_273_58_887.pnggallery_273_58_184.png
  • Exposure - we're happy to showcase your skills and/or promote your business.
    Our blog receives over 15,000 unique visitors per month and our mailing list has over 1,500 subscribers.
    We'll even send your details to the LEGO Group when we submit the final presentation. Having your name and work in already front of them may be advantageous when they are recruiting for designer jobs like this.

Got an idea for a reward? Post it in this thread!

Current Progress

We have determined three factions: Merchants, Haven Guard and Smugglers. We are currently determining the Haven Guard flag and torso designs plus taking set suggestions.

Objectives

• Using contemporary set building practices produce a new LEGO Pirates sub-theme which is a direct continuation of the original LEGO Pirates theme.
  • Design sets which are appealing to both adults and children.
  • Reposition Pirates as one of LEGO's "evergreen" themes alongside City, Castle and Space.
  • Submit a presentation to the LEGO Group via the LEGO Ambassador Project.
  • Identify potential recruits for future positions within the Shipyard - YES! If we like your contributions you may be offered a position in our crew!

Phase 1

Phase 2

Phase 3

• Produce prototypes of the sets and minifigures.
  • Present prototypes to AFOL community and acquire feedback.
  • Utilize feedback gained from research and AFOL peer review to refine prototypes

Phase 4

• Compile presentation and submit to the LEGO Group via the Ambassador Program
  • Publish presentation on online media outlets including LEGO Pirates Forum, Classic-Pirates.com blog, etc.
  • Depending of outcome of submission to LEGO Group submit larger set designs to CUUSOO.

LEGO_Pirate_Ambassador-Signature.gif

I think I'll join in with this-my son's building style is very similar to that used in normal sets, so I'll definitely get him to help me with this one!

Edited by Godtshep

About the sets - i know that there's still a lot of time, but it would be great to think of them really in an 80s/90s way by building "easy stuff", not some overbuild mocs like people did in the last PTC contest.

So more "replay value", baseplates (!), old type of sharks, and no stupid "scene reenacting sets" tha Lego is full of right now...

Excting, inspirational, yet simple.

Edited by Mazin

About the sets - i know that there's still a lot of time, but it would be great to think of them really in an 80s/90s way by building "easy stuff", not some overbuild mocs like people did in the last PTC contest.

The sets will have to be similar to contemporary Castle or City sets and not like MOCs.

There will be a Definition of Design Constraints thread in which the community as a whole determines how the sets should be built.

The sets will have to be similar to contemporary Castle or City sets and not like MOCs.

So were supposed to be PTC entries but the've ended to be oversized MOCs anyway, great MOCs by the way, but NOT sets. pirate_satisfied.gif

Still, even if we have to stay with novadays standards we can make than much more playable at the same time and get rid of all of that silly and unneccessary stuff right? pirate_wink.gif

Just to play Devils Advocate, I would suggest being very very careful with this sort of thing. These sorts of forums and communities have enjoyed participation from Lego designers and Staff. This sort of thing might unintentionally restrict that. Lego operates like most manufacturing businesses. Lego designers can not come in contact or read unsolicited proposals like this.

Just to play Devils Advocate, I would suggest being very very careful with this sort of thing. These sorts of forums and communities have enjoyed participation from Lego designers and Staff. This sort of thing might unintentionally restrict that. Lego operates like most manufacturing businesses. Lego designers can not come in contact or read unsolicited proposals like this.

Thank you for your advice. This project is being conducted under the LEGO Group's own Ambassador Program and official LEGO Representatives are aware that's it's taking place.

While your concern was previously the case, now all LEGO Ambassadors must sign a waiver denouncing entitlement to any content or information submitted through the Ambassador Program. This is not the first time Classic-Pirates.com and the Eurobricks LEGO Pirates Forum have conducted a LEGO Ambassador project and the outcome of earlier projects influenced future LEGO Pirate themed releases.

Furthermore, this project's Terms & Conditions state the LEGO Group use may the ideas submitted as they deem fit, without reward, acknowledgement or remuneration to the participants.

Thank you for your advice. This project is being conducted under the LEGO Group's own Ambassador Program and official LEGO Representatives are aware that's it's taking place.

While your concern was previously the case, now all LEGO Ambassadors must sign a waiver denouncing entitlement to any content or information submitted through the Ambassador Project. This is not the first time Classic-Pirates.com and the Eurobricks LEGO Pirates Forum have conducted a LEGO Ambassador project and the outcome of earlier projects influenced future LEGO Pirate themed releases.

Furthermore, this project's Terms & Conditions state the LEGO Group use may the ideas submitted as they deem fit, without reward, acknowledgement or remuneration to the participants.

They are actually allowing outside submissions like this. That is both wonderful and utterly remarkable. But I'm not going to complain. Lets have at it.

They are actually allowing outside submissions like this.

The LEGO Group established an Ambassador Program to allow greater communication between them and the AFOL communities.

Quite simply LEGO Ambassadors collect data from their communities and send it back to the LEGO Group via the Ambassador Program.

Sometimes the LEGO Community Managers assign specific projects or surveys to the Ambassadors but I prefer to devise my own projects.

If this project was being conducted outside of the LEGO Ambassador Program then it may be a different story...

LEGO Ambassador is a great thing. I talked about it with a friend of mine and she was very surprised that TLG conduct such program.

I found, and that may be interesting for this project, that her 3 and a half year old son talks and plays about pirates. I don't know where he learned about pirates as there aren't many pirates reference here in France at the moment. So I guess that pirates is still a theme that is very appealing for kids.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what actually is Haven Guard?

is it like the name suggests, the guard of the harbour?

a police force? a military force? a coast guard?

what is the history of it, (I know its new but still) what is the back story?

Those are important things to take in consideration before picking a flag, or at least to me.

Bart

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what actually is Haven Guard? is it like the name suggests, the guard of the harbour?

Yes, the Haven Guard is essentially the harbour patrol for Port van Brickhaven where our LEGO Merchants are based.

We've been establishing a backstory in the Defining the Factions thread although it's complete, so everyone is welcome to contribute more ideas.