Jump to content


Armed Sidewheeler 'Guerre de Roue'


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic  – Started by Legeaux , May 14 2007 02:23 AM

#1 Legeaux

Legeaux

    Posts: 96
    Joined: 11-August 06
    Member: 893
    Country: Australia

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:23 AM

Posted Image 29c

Ahoy all,

A little advanced technology from the shipwrights of Port Brique, the Guerre de Roue:

Posted Image

More pics here, post moderation.

The Guerre de Roue was built out of parts on hand, and you can probably tell a few areas where I was scraping the bottom of the parts barrel... I find narrow hulls a bit of challenge to build well with, but a mid 19th century sidewheeeler can use the narrowness of the hulls well.

As always, comments and criticisms welcome.
Cheers

Richie Dulin
CO Legeaux

#2 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • WordPress Wizard


    Posts: 20385
    Joined: 19-March 05
    Member: 273

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:28 AM

Mr Legeaux, could you tell us more about this widehwheeler?

Exactly what does it do?

#3 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Christmas Moose


    Posts: 14586
    Joined: 22-June 06
    Member: 822
    Country: Belgium

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:08 AM

Wow, this looks good *wub*
It is build on narrow hull, but it still looks big.
The only time I noticed the ship isn't very wide is in this picture (with the guns back-to-back):

Posted Image

Did you base this design on a real ship? Would be nice to see some pictures.

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.



Posted Image



New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here



Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide






#4 Norro

Norro
  • Writer & Director and Old Grey fetishist


    Posts: 3512
    Joined: 30-April 05
    Member: 315
    Country: Ireland

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:29 AM

Just saw this on Lugnet! So nice I had to comment here as well. Great work!

      God Bless,

             Nathan
Posted Image

#5 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Christmas Moose


    Posts: 14586
    Joined: 22-June 06
    Member: 822
    Country: Belgium

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:47 PM

I still have a lot of those narrow hull pieces, but somehow I was never interested in using them.  
But seeing this, I've decided to make a ship with them (starting tonight).
What I'm missing are some good close-up pictures of the deck (especially the quarter-deck) and the bow of the ship.
Would it still be possible to take some additional close-ups?

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.



Posted Image



New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here



Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide






#6 Shadows

Shadows
  • Free Online Spell Checker


    Posts: 14682
    Joined: 30-April 07
    Member: 1558
    Country: USA

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:39 PM

An excellent rendition of an unexpected type of ship! Great work!

For those interested in the type, I found this:

Quote

Sidewheel Steamer 1854

The sidewheel steamer was a transition ship between wooden sailing ships and steam-driven ironclads. Sidewheelers had wooden masts and hulls, but the hull frames, boilers, and engines were made of iron. To move through the water, sidewheelers used sails in strong wind and steam engines on calm days. The engines turned paddlewheels on the port and starboard sides. Steam power allowed these vessels to move without depending on the wind, like frigates. Unfortunately, the paddlewheels were easy targets for enemies. Paddlewheels were soon replaced by underwater propellers which were harder to damage.

Posted Image

It is, as I recall, a particularly American type of ship which could have been seen along her coasts or further south, I'm sure.

Shadows is looking for stalkers. Yep, you heard me right. CLICKY!



New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials


#7 El Bucanero

El Bucanero
  • Kiwi addiction!


    Posts: 3547
    Joined: 14-July 06
    Member: 851
    Country: Canada

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:03 PM

Steamships isn't really my thing, but this ship looks mighty fine! I especially like the stern and bow of the ship. I also there's alot of detail on this ship, wich seems difficult to me since it's not such a big ship... The only thing you need now are some niceley rolled-up sails!
You always surprise  me with your ships! But I can say it's always a pleasant surprise!  :-D

Beautiful!

Mr Tiber

#8 Captain Roger

Captain Roger
  • Salty EB dog


    Posts: 615
    Joined: 14-June 05
    Member: 376
    Country: the sea

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:33 PM

strange...but cool!

you should put sails!
LET'S CRAH THE IMPERIAL GUARDS!!!

#9 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • WordPress Wizard


    Posts: 20385
    Joined: 19-March 05
    Member: 273

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:04 AM

View PostMister Phes, on May 14 2007, 12:28 PM, said:

Exactly what does it do?
  
Forget that question...

View PostCaptain Roger, on May 15 2007, 06:33 AM, said:

strange...but cool!
you should put sails!
Does it need sails if it has a wheel?

#10 Legeaux

Legeaux

    Posts: 96
    Joined: 11-August 06
    Member: 893
    Country: Australia

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:05 AM

View Postbonaparte, on May 14 2007, 07:08 AM, said:

Wow, this looks good *wub*
It is build on narrow hull, but it still looks big.
The only time I noticed the ship isn't very wide is in this picture (with the guns back-to-back):

Posted Image

Yes. There is two studs clearance between the guns - I would have liked smaller guns, but  didn't have any 3x2 wedges in red. :(

Originally, I had armed her with only one gun each side (one forward, one aft), but I decided she looked better with pairs, despite the clearance-for-recoil issue.

Quote

Did you base this design on a real ship? Would be nice to see some pictures.
I based it on the memory I had of a model I saw at the Australian National Maritime Museum (in the USA Gallery). I am embarrassed to admit that I don't even recall her name.

View Postbonaparte, on May 14 2007, 01:47 PM, said:

I still have a lot of those narrow hull pieces, but somehow I was never interested in using them.  
But seeing this, I've decided to make a ship with them (starting tonight).
What I'm missing are some good close-up pictures of the deck (especially the quarter-deck) and the bow of the ship.
Would it still be possible to take some additional close-ups?

I'll see what I can do. ;)

View Postimperialshadows, on May 14 2007, 03:39 PM, said:

An excellent rendition of an unexpected type of ship! Great work!

Thanks!

View PostMr Tiber, on May 14 2007, 04:03 PM, said:

Steamships isn't really my thing, but this ship looks mighty fine! I especially like the stern and bow of the ship. I also there's alot of detail on this ship, wich seems difficult to me since it's not such a big ship... The only thing you need now are some niceley rolled-up sails!
You always surprise  me with your ships! But I can say it's always a pleasant surprise!  :-D

Beautiful!

Mr Tiber

Thanks for the compliments. As for sails (which Captain Roger suggested too), a vessel like this, if on a short voyage (or one dominated by headwinds), would likely sail with bare spars. However, a set of furled sails would probably add to the appearance (even brick build Constitution-style sails might look okay).


View PostMister Phes, on May 15 2007, 02:04 AM, said:

Forget that question...
Does it need sails if it has a wheel?

Definitely. They may not even be on the spars, but they would definitely be carried. A vessel like this may even spend time under both steam and sail, given the right conditions.
Cheers

Richie Dulin
CO Legeaux

#11 Tordenskjold

Tordenskjold

    Posts: 287
    Joined: 16-June 06
    Member: 814
    Country: Norway

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:17 PM

View PostMister Phes, on May 15 2007, 04:04 AM, said:

Forget that question...
Does it need sails if it has a wheel?
Wind is always a free type of "fuel" while the coal had to be bought somewere. And on long trips it can alwsays be good to be able to draw benefits from both things :)   Very nice ship  *wub*  
but a bit "new" for me. *sweet*

#12 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • WordPress Wizard


    Posts: 20385
    Joined: 19-March 05
    Member: 273

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:07 AM

View PostLegeaux, on May 15 2007, 01:05 PM, said:

Definitely. They may not even be on the spars, but they would definitely be carried. A vessel like this may even spend time under both steam and sail, given the right conditions.
Yes, I see your point.  Kinda like modern cars can benefit from having electric engines as well as combustion engines.

#13 Legeaux

Legeaux

    Posts: 96
    Joined: 11-August 06
    Member: 893
    Country: Australia

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:00 AM

View PostMister Phes, on May 16 2007, 01:07 AM, said:

Yes, I see your point.  Kinda like modern cars can benefit from having electric engines as well as combustion engines.

A bit. Although the analogy is not quite right, as the car almost certainly generated the power for the battery in the first place. Possibly more like coasting downhill, but again, not quite right either.

View PostTordenskjold, on May 15 2007, 06:17 PM, said:

Wind is always a free type of "fuel" while the coal had to be bought somewere. And on long trips it can alwsays be good to be able to draw benefits from both things :)   Very nice ship *wub*  
but a bit "new" for me. *sweet*

A bit new? Definitely. For me too.

I built it primarily as something interesting to do with the narrow hulls, it certainly doesn't fit the the timeline or 'story' of Port Brique. I even wondered if I should post it here!

And the Guerre de Roue certainly provides a contrast to the other vessels in port at the moment.
Cheers

Richie Dulin
CO Legeaux

#14 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Christmas Moose


    Posts: 14586
    Joined: 22-June 06
    Member: 822
    Country: Belgium

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:36 AM

View PostLegeaux, on May 16 2007, 05:00 AM, said:

I even wondered if I should post it here!

I'm very happy you did!
The pirates forum is not only about pirates.
The description on the EB-main forum is:

Quote

Discuss pirate, colonial history, Napoleonic Wars, Mesoamerican civilisations (Aztec, Maya, Inca, etc) and the Age of Sail themes here!

But putting all that info in the name would be too long, so its just called "Pirates forum"  :-D
This ship can have sails and even without them it could fit under "Colonial history".

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.



Posted Image



New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here



Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide






#15 El Bucanero

El Bucanero
  • Kiwi addiction!


    Posts: 3547
    Joined: 14-July 06
    Member: 851
    Country: Canada

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:40 PM

View Postbonaparte, on May 16 2007, 11:36 AM, said:

I'm very happy you did!
The pirates forum is not only about pirates.
The description on the EB-main forum is:
But putting all that info in the name would be too long, so its just called "Pirates forum"  :-D
This ship can have sails and even without them it could fit under "Colonial history".

Perhaps, but like you said, the description is:

Quote

Discuss pirate, colonial history, Napoleonic Wars, Mesoamerican civilisations (Aztec, Maya, Inca, etc) and the Age of Sail themes here!

I believe this ships belongs to the Age of Steam, and putting that into the Pirate Forum descrpition would be quite historically unaccurate.

But like Mr Bonaparte, I'm also happy you posted it in here!

Mr Tiber

#16 Berry Syedow

Berry Syedow
  • *Amen*


    Posts: 693
    Joined: 05-February 06
    Member: 653
    Country: U.S.A.

Posted 20 May 2007 - 04:55 AM

Ah, what an extraordinarily creative ship.  Red seems to be popular these days, which I don't mind.  It's nice to see you channel your building skills toward smaller ships, just to change things up a bit and whatnot.  My favorite parts of the ship are the bow railing, the "engine", the sidewheels (I guess?), and the rear railing.  --So pretty much the entire thing. :)

Keep on building. *y*

#17 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • WordPress Wizard


    Posts: 20385
    Joined: 19-March 05
    Member: 273

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:35 AM

View PostLegeaux, on May 16 2007, 01:00 PM, said:

A bit. Although the analogy is not quite right, as the car almost certainly generated the power for the battery in the first place. Possibly more like coasting downhill, but again, not quite right either.
Errrr...  What about...  Its benefitial for houses to recieve electricity from both the main power grid and a solar power panel?  X-D




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links