Sign in to follow this  
OBI-WAN37

Modded 10225 (advice wanted)

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello, I modded 10225 so that the two side legs go back further, and also so the third leg comes out further from the body so as to make it more realistic to the movie. I am posting this not just because I am admittedly proud of how much work this took me (more than you might realize, but still nothing special, I know, lol), but also because I want some advice as to how strong the designs for the legs are. But before I get into that, here are the pictures of the 99% finished product (a couple of unimportant bricks are missing, but I don't plan on posting pictures of the 100% finished model).

rsz_1rsz_img_1456.jpgrsz_1rsz_img_1453.jpg

Here is a picture of how I modded the rear legs:

rsz_1rsz_img_1448.jpg

As you can see, there is a long technic beam that runs through almost all of each rear leg, and in the original set, there is a brick-technic beam hybrid part (this piece: http://www.bricklink...Item.asp?P=3702) that runs across the top of the leg just under the two top sets of slopes, where this first technic beam joins to the middle of using a red axle. I removed that brick/technic beam, and instead placed a bunch of pure technic pieces plus a couple of bricks to give the long technic beam as much strength as possible. It was even more important at this point that this long beam was rigid and strong because it was the piece that would end up preventing the legs go back too far by hitting against an open technic 4x4 brick (this piece: http://brickset.com/parts/4153798 ). What I would like your advice on is, do you think that that long beam is connected strongly enough to the top of the leg so that it will not bend or become loose due to the wieght of the enitre set, even after many years, even decades, of the set being in three-leg mode, and being changed to and from three-leg mode to two-leg mode. Also, I hope this helps anyone who wants to mod their R2-D2 like I did! :)

Any help would be appreciated. :)