Port (7994) Pic Review

60 replies to this topic

#1 xwingyoda

xwingyoda

Member: 255

Posted 10 May 2007 - 01:54 PM

Posted Image

My padawans,

let me present to you that glorious and beautifull Port !! �I am not worthy, I�m not worthy� (oh  *yoda* , do shut up and review the glorious set !!). I really think that this set is the best �07 city sets (I was waiting so long for another port, meessa so happy !!). Really 2 thumbs up to TLC for this !! I hope you�ll enjoy this looong review as much as I love that set.

Posted Image

There are 3 instructions manuals and a HUGE DSS (darn you TLC !!):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is a general view of the whole set:

Posted Image

I shall review that set according to the instructions booklets so lets go !!

1/The truck

There is nothing really to notice about that MF, another boring classic fig that we have lots off. On the other hand, the truck is really neat. It comprises the main body and a classic container (like the one shown in my review of 7992). Off course the truck can transport all the other containers (see �2).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

2/The ship

*the extras*

I tend to like those 2 figs: the technician and the lovely captain (who senses a �Love Boat� MOC  :-D  lolol).

Posted Image

Than there are the 3 containers: a classic green, a simple one with 4 �italien� barrels.

Posted Image

The truly great one is the small power boat Container. The small boat is quite simple but looks great !! Tks to the use of one of the best Lego parts ever: the 1x1 slope

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

*the ship*

Now the interesting stuff really starts !! Ok, its hard to take decent pics due to the bloody size of that ship (58 cms/22,8 in long !!). On a side note, I did not use the huge �City Lines� stickers on the hull (I might add them later, I�m not really sure). Like you imagined, the ship floats and has underneath the hull the spot to attach an electric motor (not included in the set).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now lets focus on the details of that ship: The front is quite simple � it has what a ship needs: an anker, lights and an opening to place whatever fits in hehe (on a side note, its weird to notice that there are NO life vests on that ship � not very precautious Lego !!). The mid section is only to hold all those crates !!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 xwingyoda

xwingyoda

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:04 PM

The rear is much cooler !! The tower can be divided in 3 parts: the lower part is where both engines are, then the cokpit is on the second level (see Sne, there is a better cokpit here than in SW sets lolol) and finally the chimney with radar, dopler and what have you !!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

3/ The harbour port

I shall dismantle parts of the harbour for pics purposes !! Otherwise its going to be quite hard to have nice pics !! Yeay, that thing is huge  :-P

*the front with fisherman*

Nothing too special, guste a nice gesture from TLC adding a normal cityman !! I love the green uniform (I was bored of that blue one !!). As you can see, the front has 2 stuff to attache boats. Ok, I really wonder why a "civilian" is fishing in a restricted area !! Call security asap.

Posted Image

Posted Image

*the crane*

That was quite a nice thing to build hehe !! Its nice to have a red crane. There are 2 knobs onb that baby: one that operates the hook and the second one that operates the hight of the arm (it makes that arm goes either up or down). I didnt even care of taking a pic of the MF since its a boring worker !!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

*the office*

That is my favorite part of the harbour !! It represents the heart of the port. First the vehicle needs to go through the opening gates. I think that TLC thinks that people are morons since they added a traffic light in front of the gates !! Drive when its open you moron  :-|  :-D  !!

Posted Image

The office is small and cosy and has only the regular computer which operates the door and light !! As you can see, next to it, there are loads of usefull stuff for the employee to work and clean !!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I shall finish that review with a hysterical add on by TLC: the watch out sign just above the life bouey lolololol So in case a moron is speeding in a harbour port, the employee can throw him the bouey if he is not on strike  :-D  

Posted Image

Thats all folks for this set !! Until next time, tada...

*yoda*

#3 Hinckley

Hinckley

• Long Ranger Constraction

Member: 486

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:08 PM

Great review *yoda* !

Thanks for sharing. I was wondering how you got your hands on these sets [this and 7992]? I can't wait to get them.

Thanks again!

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Posted Image Posted Image

#4 phoinix

phoinix

• Eurovision !!

Member: 689

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:17 PM

this looks SO SO SO SO SO much nicer than i thought!!

i love the small truck
i love the office and the crane!
i really like the "tower" of the ship! one of the best they ever made!

the only thing i dont like is the size of the ship..
i find it useless since you can only fill it with cargo and more cargo..
what is the point of that?
there is the front of the ship...there is the back of the ship...there is the boring huge empty hull in the middle!
i find that pointless!

the possitive is more than the negative!
i realy like the captain figure and the green fisherman!

TLC has given us great stuff this year..

this ship remains my lego cargo favorite..
Posted Image

it looks nice in the front..good tower..and a great middle section..not too big not too small..just great!
( i hope i will buy this some day!)

a lot of thanks to you yoda!
you have given us so many great reviews the past few days!!
and this was great!! *y*  *y*
well done my friend!!

#5 xwingyoda

xwingyoda

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:20 PM

hinckley39, like I posted elswhere on EB, my "Lego" shop received nearly all the new sets (they had the garbage truck and gas station) and were waiting for the other city sets like the train station !! I shall pick this one up soon hehe >+ they had nearlly all the Mars Mission sets and the 3 smaller Castle sets<

I might buy a second port later on to expend it hehe !!

Actually I hope TLC opened Pandora's box with those harbour sets !!

*yoda*

#6 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:51 PM

What a nice review of a really lovely set! Im so glad that I can now add such
a neat harbor to my ongoing city project.... Hmm, I guess I have to raise the
city to provide it from becoming overflooded by the sea....  8-|
The ship is so beautiful! Only that chimney should better be placed three studs
more to the back, its a little too close to the bridge, but maybe its supposed
to work as an indirect heating device.  :-D
That warning sign is hilarious! A great and overall very satisfiable set!  *y*
Merchant Navy on!

#7 UniqueBuilder

UniqueBuilder

• Mr. Dark Ages

Member: 1075

Posted 10 May 2007 - 02:53 PM

Nice. nice, niice review, Mr. Yoda! :-) Gotta love this set.. *wub*

phoinix, on May 10 2007, 04:17 PM, said:

this looks SO SO SO SO SO much nicer than i thought!!
I couldn't agree more! *sweet*

"I respect 50 Cent. He's the only person known to make 'me', 'me' and 'see' rhyme with the letter P."
-erikutt

The Dark Ages got me... Smell ya later!

#8 oo7

oo7

• Master Carpenter

Member: 788

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:46 PM

Thank you for this wonderful review, Yoda! This set is an absoulute must for a city fan, the best city set in years, probaly for a decade. I'm a little disapointed with the office, it's much smaller than I expected, but besides that everything looks so cool! Especially the Captain with the white shirt!  8- That is a new torso, right?

I do think the trafficlight is realistic, and I'm so happy they included such a funny sign, and it's realistic!

http://blogs.warwick...pg?maxWidth=500

Posted Image

:-D

And a question, if you please, what's the bottom of the ship like?
Posted Image

#9 Joebot

Joebot

• Mayor of Fluxington

Member: 1014

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:52 PM

Thanks for the review! This set looks pretty nice ... but it continues a trend that's been bugging me for a while. To borrow a phrase from the Simpsons, Lego is "enbiggening" everything. My town is built on the classic scale of 4-stud wide cars, 8-stud wide ships, etc. Now Lego is making 6- and 8-stud wide trucks. The cargo containers are 6-wide instead of the old 4-wide. The new airplanes are 8-stud wide instead of the old 4-stud wide. And then there's this colossal monstrosity of a cargo ship. That beast would overpower my entire city!

I know it seems like a weird thing to complain about, that Lego is making everything too BIG. Of course the joy of Lego is that I can always downscale everything to match my existing stuff.

I'm also a little bummed that Lego isn't using the classic harbor plates and ramps. Man, I love those pieces. Can you give us a picture of just the new harbor plate? It looks like a new piece to me, or at least it's a piece that I'm not familiar with.

In general, I love, love, love the City stuff coming out this year. For many years, City was the red-headed step-child of Lego, and it's nice to see it coming back to prominence where it belongs.

-Joebot

#10 casewindu

casewindu

• Extreme Tie General

Member: 1257

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:11 PM

great review Yoda! I really like this set with the comical sign, the van, obviously the boat and the captain is really cool aswell!  :-D  cant wait to get this one! *y*

#11 cityfan

cityfan

Member: 1334

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:11 PM

Joebot, on May 10 2007, 03:52 PM, said:

It looks like a new piece to me, or at least it's a piece that I'm not familiar with.

-Joebot

The roadplates are simply the same as in the old road construction set with the brigde. But here they just use the straight ones. In the corner where the office is located, it's used the plates from the old street hockey set, though in a different colour scene.  

http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/6600-2 ( http://www.peeron.co.../parts/30401px1 )

http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/3579-1 ( http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/48288 )

Sorry for mye bad english.  :-$

#12 Holodoc

Holodoc

• Has finally seen the box

Member: 1094

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:25 PM

Thanks again,  *yoda*  for this great review. *y*

Wow, I really like this set. Its not only for the ship but for all these small details. A fisherman, the hilarious road sign, the engine room, the neat office, the small barrier with the lights (well, one red light would have done) and the great new torsos! *wub*

What I dont like is the design of the crane. Too many bigger parts, some even without any studs!? :-X TLG could have done better with this!

The only bad thing about this set is: I already own the 4030 - there is no use for another freight ship. If I wouldnt have it, Id be off to buy it asap, because this one would fit my other ships (4020, 4021, 4022) way better. At this point I disagree to phoinix. The police boat has to be a lot smaller than a freight ship. Here you go!

And with one more terrific set I continue to wonder who will have the money to buy all this?  :-|
Cmon TLG, spare some great sets for the next years! ;-)
Even more interested in LEGO bricks & parts? Read Tim Johnson's (aka Caperberry) blog: Posted Image

#13 Mr Hobbles

Mr Hobbles

Member: 1458

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:42 PM

Very very nice.  I really want this set, even though at the moment it would have no place in my town.  I love the boat, the crane is really cool, and the pier is just awesome.  Add the 10 tonne loader onto this set and it's perfect.

Cheers for the review.   :-)

#14 snefroe

snefroe

• waisted plastic

Member: 230

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:26 PM

nice set  *yoda*  but when do we get to see a review of a mars mission set? *sing*  :-P

#15 xenologer

xenologer

Member: 626

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:13 PM

xwingyoda, on May 10 2007, 02:20 PM, said:

hinckley39, like I posted elswhere on EB, my "Lego" shop received nearly all the new sets (they had the garbage truck and gas station) and were waiting for the other city sets like the train station !! I shall pick this one up soon hehe >+ they had nearlly all the Mars Mission sets and the 3 smaller Castle sets<

Wait what?!?

I thought the toyfair pics on MarsMission and other sets said August release date?
Did I read that wrong or did it change or is this a country thing?

Nice review btw. I wonder if thats a new windscreen on the bridge (the downsloping windows), they look useful... and now I'm feeling like making a few of those mini speedboats, or that office building, so simple but nice to have around...

#16 Starwars4J

Starwars4J

Member: 257

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:13 PM

This is an amazingly impressive set!  Thanks for the review :-)  I have to say my favorite feature is...the fact that the truck has "side-view mirrors" :-D  It just makes it look sooooo much better!

Everything is great though!  Great figs, great ship, great dock!  I just wish there were a few new heads, but you can't have everything ;-)

#17 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Retired

Member: 359

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:31 PM

Holodoc, on May 10 2007, 05:25 PM, said:

The only bad thing about this set is: I already own the 4030 - there is no use for another freight ship.
Well, no problem. Since I don't own 4030 I'll happily take yours and you can buy the port. How's that? X-D

#18 snefroe

snefroe

• waisted plastic

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:49 PM

Hobbes, on May 10 2007, 06:31 PM, said:

Well, no problem. Since I don't own 4030 I'll happily take yours and you can buy the port. How's that? X-D
no the bad thing about the ship is that it's a one-piece model

#19 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Retired

Member: 359

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:59 PM

snefroe1, on May 10 2007, 07:49 PM, said:

Doesn't matter to me anyway, I want 4030 ;-)

#20 Ruben

Ruben

Member: 1427

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:46 PM

Nice review I like that ship but I don't buy it because I have no place.

*y*  *y*  *y*  :-)
I like lego

Posted Image

#21 alex54

alex54

• CC reducer, city expander

Member: 560

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:46 PM

Thanks Yoda for sharing this set with us too!
This set is really nice!
I'm like Holodoc, the think I like is not a special parts, but all the small details that you have here and here, like the road sign, a bin, some accesories,...
The truck has the same effect on me like the blue one in the RC cargo train. I know that I will be able to buy this set just for it :-D !
But all the set is good, so no matter! Maybe in fact the boat is too long, with just few containers. But maybee we will have additional sets will new containers like the green trcuk. Just hope...

Iwill have good dreams this night X-D

Posted Image                        Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#22 Athos

Athos

• Sloppiness Seeker

Member: 84

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:54 PM

Looks good. Though I'm not sure about the boats yet. I would have preferred the old ones. Do you have any pictures of the ship pieces by themselves?

I wonder why Lego didn't include life vests (they would have fit perfectly in that little hatch at the bow).

Are the green overalls new to this set?

Steve

#23 Holodoc

Holodoc

• Has finally seen the box

Member: 1094

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:16 PM

Hobbes, on May 10 2007, 06:31 PM, said:

OK, you buy me the 7994 and you will get my 4030. Hows that? :-D

snefroe1, on May 10 2007, 06:49 PM, said:

Normally I would agree. I hate big one piece molds like the green ones used for the big truck 7998.
In this case its even better with only one piece. Otherwise it wouldnt float, would it?

Ship Swooosh On! X-D
Even more interested in LEGO bricks & parts? Read Tim Johnson's (aka Caperberry) blog: Posted Image

#24 snefroe

snefroe

• waisted plastic

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:56 PM

Hobbes, on May 10 2007, 06:59 PM, said:

Doesn't matter to me anyway, I want 4030 ;-)
he man, stand in line, like all the rest ! :-P  :-X

#25 Darth_Legois

Darth_Legois

• Bagel Heretic

Member: 1496

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:17 PM

Nice review *y* My favourite bit is probable the office & the little speedboat i want to get this set if i have enough $$$$ by the time it comes to Australia *wub*

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users