Tereglith

[MOC] X-wing fighter... in 10188 Death Star Scale (plus LDD of other f

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

After I designed my 10188-scale Millennium Falcon, I felt like adding to the fleet. With the TIE Advanced already there, the natural next step was to build its opposite number, the T-65 X-Wing, in the same scale.

I laid out the rules I set myself in the other post. So, without further ado, here's the X-wing!

13037296684_50cfb78b0d_c.jpg

foils closed three quarters by Tereglith, on Flickr

13037312724_047aa1d809_c.jpg

x wing front by Tereglith, on Flickr

13037305974_9595907721_c.jpg

X wing top by Tereglith, on Flickr

13037088493_e62ccae93e_c.jpg

X wing side by Tereglith, on Flickr

13037310364_cc73b60a42_c.jpg

x wing rear by Tereglith, on Flickr

For this one's pilot section, I decided to go above and beyond. So there's a little window in which you can see our brave pilot... PORKINS! (since Luke is in my 9493, Porkins needed a ride)

13037069273_335f1dafd3_c.jpg

hi, porkins! by Tereglith, on Flickr

In addition to the window, there's also a hinged shot-gun style pilot access system:

13037322384_f8e7c1698e_c.jpg

Shotgun by Tereglith, on Flickr

The exteriors of this X-wing and the TIE Advanced in 10188 are roughly to scale with each other.

13037314884_093051b888_c.jpg

trench run by Tereglith, on Flickr

13037319934_1554807c10_c.jpg

side by side by Tereglith, on Flickr

Although they definitely aren't in scale with the Falcon exterior. But that's 10188-scale for you!

13036964825_134928554e_c.jpg

the whole family by Tereglith, on Flickr

I also promised in the title that there are LDD versions of other Starfighters. And there are!

The A-wing:

13044832285_c43fa25e00_c.jpg

A-wing three quarters by Tereglith, on Flickr

13044970513_1b783654f9_c.jpg

A-wing side by Tereglith, on Flickr

13044831335_0a5273dfc1_c.jpg

A-wing front by Tereglith, on Flickr

And the Y-wing:

13045167774_2e363a1c11_c.jpg

Y-wing three quarters by Tereglith, on Flickr

How are the pilots stored in these ships? Pretty much the same way. They both are packed in like this:

13044838555_29bc3f6c11_c.jpg

Y-wing pilot by Tereglith, on Flickr

I don't have the bricks to build them irl, but I would like to someday.

Thanks for reading!

These are incredible! Would you mind posting LDD instructions for them? Great alternative for those who don't have a lot of bricks/space. :)

These are incredible! Would you mind posting LDD instructions for them? Great alternative for those who don't have a lot of bricks/space. :)

Sure thing! Once it clears brickshelf moderation, this folder should contain an LDD file with the A-Wing and Y-Wing, plus slightly modified versions of the real-life X-wing and Millennium Falcon.

Edited by Tereglith

These are absolutely amazing! Not only the fact they look really well built, pretty accurate for their size... But also the fact you have managed the ability to include the figures while not compromising their shapes! Totally impressed, and would love to make that Y-Wing when available as ldd file. totally in love with them :-D

Yep - I agree with the above comments, the fact that you get the figs in is great. Really great design and execution - it does look official (bar the split black windscreen). I always thought it would be cool to have a new Cloud City similar size and shape to the Death Star and with a new micro sized ship similar to the existing Cloud Car, but better. Reckon you could do a good cloud car...

These are absolutely amazing! Not only the fact they look really well built, pretty accurate for their size... But also the fact you have managed the ability to include the figures while not compromising their shapes! Totally impressed, and would love to make that Y-Wing when available as ldd file. totally in love with them :-D

I'd love to see how the Y-Wing looks irl, but I don't feel like digging up the pieces for it. If you want to go for it, the .lxf file is up for the taking now!

Yep - I agree with the above comments, the fact that you get the figs in is great. Really great design and execution - it does look official (bar the split black windscreen). I always thought it would be cool to have a new Cloud City similar size and shape to the Death Star and with a new micro sized ship similar to the existing Cloud Car, but better. Reckon you could do a good cloud car...

Thanks! I really should try to find a spare 2x3x1 black slope - I had sort of forgotten about the kludge until you pointed it out.

I think everybody wants a 10188-style Cloud City - I know I do :tongue: I've never really been in love with the Cloud Car as a vehicle though. If I were in charge of designing the new Cloud City, I'd include a mini Millennium Falcon like the one in my other thread, and maybe a mini-Slave 1 to accompany it. My next digital project at this scale will probably be a ~20 stud Slave 1 or a ~30 stud Tantive IV - though that one I'd want to build in brick, because I consider the upcoming Star Destroyer to be the same type of scale.

I think all your fighter's look pretty good, I think any kid would want these!

It looks a bit different than a TLG set would look like, you still managed to give it your own twist and kept the amount of detailing right :thumbup:

However, it's not entirely my cup of tea, I would not understand why one would want to fit a fig in a mini ship, which means the proportions change drastically.

I think all your fighter's look pretty good, I think any kid would want these!

It looks a bit different than a TLG set would look like, you still managed to give it your own twist and kept the amount of detailing right :thumbup:

However, it's not entirely my cup of tea, I would not understand why one would want to fit a fig in a mini ship, which means the proportions change drastically.

The reason is that these aren't standalones- they're meant to go with my Death Star. The Tie Advanced included with 10188 was the ship from which I took inspiration, as was the disconnect between the interior and exterior scales of the Death Star itself. The difference to me is the same as the difference between 10143 Death Star II and 10188 Death Star - a normal mini is a cold, architectural model. A mini with room for a figure inside is playable, and fits with larger playable displays like the Death Star. The concept isn't limited to fighters - I consider the upcoming Star Destroyer, with its interior rooms and space for figures completely out-of-scale with its exterior, the same type of 'scale' as the Death Star and these fighters. Plus, it's just a fun building challenge!

As a side note, I originally intended the A-Wing to be just as out-of-scale as the other ships, but in fact the A-wing model used in the films is so incredible small relative to the pilot figure inside it that my version really is the closest to minifigure scale of any that I've seen. Take a look:

awingscaleanalysis.jpg

Of course, this is complicated by how big a minifigure's head is compared to its total height, but if we assume a figure is about six feet tall then my version clocks in at roughly 12 feet, corresponding to the studio model!

These are great! And once I figure out this whole LDD thing out will be attempting a build myself. Really impressive how everything fits within the criteria you defined and also scales so well with the Death Star and Tie fighter. Thanks for coming up with these and sharing so those us us with lesser vision can enjoy them also.

I'd still like to see a pic of the other brickbuilt ships actually IN the 10188 hangar...

You can see the MF inside in its own topic. The TIE advanced, of course, is what comes in the hangar of the out-of-the-box model, so you can see pictures of how that works elsewhere. As for the X-wing, that ship never lands in the hangar, so there's no real reason to put it in there (I display it on a pair of trans clear 2x2 round bricks on the very top dish of the Death Star).

If I do make another ship that goes in the hangar, it'll be an Imperial shuttle.