Sign in to follow this  
Tereglith

[MOC] Millennium Falcon... in 10188 Death Star Scale!

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I got my Death Star last Christmas, and I love it. Just one thing bothered me - the hangar is taken up with Vader's TIE Advanced, when it should by rights house its most famous cargo, the Millennium Falcon! With the release of the new microfighter and my digging up of my old 2003 mini, I had the printed parts I needed to whip something up and rectify the issue. And here it is:

13037292204_46213ff9ed_c.jpg

Hangar overview by Tereglith, on Flickr

The rules I set myself for the new '10188 Death Star Scale' (that really needs a catchier name) are as follows:

1. Exterior and interior scale need not be consistent, nor must two different exteriors be in the same scale. It just should be that a ship that's 'bigger' than another should be at least a little bigger, but not to scale.
  2. The interior should be able to house any relevant minifigures.
  3. The minifigures inside need not be able to see out through any sort of transparent element. After all, Darth Vader is stuck looking at the back of a black round 4x4 plate.
  4. The exterior should be as accurate as possible. The TIE Advanced is actually fairly accurate to the studio model, and not 'chibified'.
  5. Ships the size of the Millennium Falcon or smaller should fit in the hangar of the Death Star.

With those in mind, I made a Falcon that I'm very proud of. It's about 21x15 studs, making for a cozy fit in the hangar with enough room around it for all the major characters in the scene:

13036948295_36a7558110_c.jpg

battle by Tereglith, on Flickr

And outside the hangar:

13036972785_1e3ced577c_c.jpg

MF top by Tereglith, on Flickr

13037066903_66fe7f38e0_c.jpg

MF front by Tereglith, on Flickr

13037064673_d764b87ee4_c.jpg

MF left by Tereglith, on Flickr

13036979545_9917d40b52_c.jpg

MF rear by Tereglith, on Flickr

13036977405_6bf26724fa_c.jpg

MF right by Tereglith, on Flickr

13037336564_2f4b2cb217_c.jpg

MF open by Tereglith, on Flickr

The real trick was making a big enough interior to house five figures (Luke, Han, Chewie, 3PO, and either Leia or Obi-Wan depending on the point in the story. I gave up R2-D2 as a lost cause, because he's just too fat.) They're packed in like sardines, but they fit!

13037326824_45e68a9dbf_c.jpg

MF sardines by Tereglith, on Flickr

I even, in a bolt of inspiration, decided to test out the possibility of a miniature playset nested inside the larger Death Star playset. Here's what I threw together as a mock-up during the photoshoot:

13036929245_6915ce262b_c.jpg

MF mini playset by Tereglith, on Flickr

And it folds flat so that you can put the top back on (pardon the dust):

13037115043_1341b25be0_c.jpg

MF playset folded by Tereglith, on Flickr

I may experiment further with the possibilities of this mini playset in the future. For now, though I just enjoy having a Death Star hangar that's actually got the right ship in it.

13037303924_a98f7cee10_c.jpg

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought. by Tereglith, on Flickr

I've also worked on other 10188-scale starfighters! Check them out here!

Thanks for reading!

Very cool! If fits perfectly in the hangar and looks great. I like how you even were able to get the interior details in there.

I really love this, and that interior to the Millennium Flacon is actually really good. I honestly didn't expect it to open up like that. :grin:

Very cool! If fits perfectly in the hangar and looks great. I like how you even were able to get the interior details in there.

Thanks! I'm actually working more on the interior details - I had the idea for adding them in very suddenly while photographing, and now I'm trying to refine it.

Well done. I think I will do this too!

Glad to have inspired! I'm sure you can figure out the build from the pictures I've posted, but if you'd like to take a look at the LDD file for this and my other Death Star Scale ships, you can check out the other thread I made for the X-wing. I linked to the LDD file there.

Good looking mini- MOC. It looks like Luke is mooning the attacking Imperials out the window. :tongue:

Great, now that's all I can see :tongue:

What a fantastic idea!! There's just something about vehicles in this scale that I love, and you've done these perfectly.