Sign in to follow this  
Gideon

Mitgardian Trade

The Arkbri river flows through a large part of Historica, from the mountains of Mitgardia all the way down to Kaliphlin and is navigable along most of its course. From Barqa and Queenscross, river boats regularly travel all the way up to southern-central Mitgardia. While whale oil is commonly for lighting in Mitgardia, refined Kaliphlin naphtha is highly prized for it's bright light and almost no smoke or smell. The ability to use this light to read long after dark is one of the reasons for the great knowledge of the Kaliphlin scholars.

In return for the Kaliphlin naphtha, Mitgardian timber is brought down river to the great cities of the south. As the timber can float by itself, a large number of logs can be attached to each river boat. As this boat is unloading at a small trading post along the river, more fresh timber is pulled out of the woods.

By providing this blessing of light to the people of the north, the traders of Kaliphlin are doing a great humanitarian effort at the same time as they are making an excellent profit providing Kaliphlin with high-quality Mitgardian timber.

12821618874_ea848b54a3_z.jpg

12821169855_563b5064e7_z.jpg

12821164535_768afbe035_z.jpg

12821194725_71ebf56ee5_z.jpg

UoP credits claimed:

• Shipping by sea/water (Trade and Law)
  • Logging (Agriculture and Zoology)
  • Oceanside or river scene (Geography)
  • Snow and ice (Landscape design)

The bottom of the logs are genius! And I love how you made underwater visible. That tree is great too, one of the better evergreen-type trees I've seen. Cool build!

The bottom of the logs are genius! And I love how you made underwater visible. That tree is great too, one of the better evergreen-type trees I've seen. Cool build!

Thanks!

After the boat, the tree was the part I spent the most time on in this build as the top was very hard to look good.

I tried two different amounts of palm leafs at the end, which one do you think looked better? I liked the one with the extra leaves a bit more when building as it filled in the holes but I ended up removing those again at the end of my photography session because it made the upper part of the tree to wide...

12821254003_f0fba40c6f.jpg12821609114_165d017478.jpg

that river bed has got to be one of the best representations of landscape I've ever seen! So great! And yeah, thanks for the Humanitarian effort ...

Great job, especially with the snowy riverbank! Also got to love the underwater section! That tree is fantastic too, though I think I like the one with less leaves better. +1 DoH as well!

I am busy trying to figure out how that held together with no support on the water..... wow.

+2 for all!!!! haha. er... +1 but, really good job.

Excellent work. especially... well, everything, since I was gonna say especially the underwater, the boat, the tree and the ice :D I agree that the "left" tree looks too big on the top.

+1 to all claims

Lovely build, as always. The water/underwater landscape are brilliant and I like how you made the transition to the snowy banks with SNOT bricks :thumbup: The logs also look great and the river boat is fantastic :wub:

Shockingly amazing! The snow texturing is quite superb and the boat design looks great, not to mention the aspect of seeing below the waterline! :sweet:

I am busy trying to figure out how that held together with no support on the water..... wow.

I have the same question. How?

This is amazing all around. Building perfection.

Great build, excellent job with the river boat, snow and tree :thumbup:

I agree about the top of the tree; great use of the bush there :sweet:

The underwater part was another great idea, especially the boat's bottom :wink:

Thanks! Glad you all liked the same version of the tree I ended up liking better as well :classic:

I have the same question. How?

It is two rows of 8x8 trans-medium blue plates, held together by the plates forming the underside of the boat (and getting some extra support from the part above the water as well) and the 1x2 trans-light blue tiles. The row of 8x8 plates at the back is attached to the shoreline, and the forward pillars of the dock is providing the support needed for the water to stay up (although I added temporary support when I moved it to my living room to photograph it, as the water tended to flex a bit).

I have an idea for another MOC using this water surface technique, but then I will probably add some more support as that surface will be a bit bigger and higher above the seabed :wink:

Beautiful job Gideon! The tree, the water and the snow are all superb. The under water is a great touch. +1 all UoP.

:classic:

Thanks!

By the sound of the comments, I should probably have claimed UoP credit for 'Underwater' :wink:

Well, fortunately I've got another idea which should quailify.

This is a wonderful build. I love all the details. I was drawn in by the timber sunk into the snow and the snow lightsabers on the top. The snow banks and really nicely done. I like the tree, and the horse drawing the log, the ship.