Vee

How durable are rubber bands?

I bought the set 42001 because it has some interesting Technic parts, like four 5M thin liftarms and others, and it is a cheap set, and I have just finished assembling it. What a cute little vehicle! Although I bought it for parts, I don't see myself disassembling it... dang!

Anyway, this set uses two white rubber/elastic bands (belts) and these rubber bands are essential to the build. Without them, the vehicle will simply not work.

So my question is: given how essential the rubber bands are, are they durable? Usually anything made of rubber will dry and break, and it doesn't take too long for that to happen, so is it durable? I have zero experience with this kind of Lego parts, first time I have a set that uses them.

If these bands are the small round white ones, I have a handful of those, some since i believe 2007, and still in good shape. The newer bands are much more durable than the old black ones.

Yes, they are small, round and white. Good to know they should last a long time. Thanks.

They are fairly high quality rubber bands, but they are still rubber bands and will behave as such. They will eventually dry crack and break. When that happens simply replace them. They're rubber bands. It's not like Lego actually makes them. Just from looking at the ones that come it looks like Lego does use high quality bands, not unlike those found in medical and dental use, and not the simple cheap ones you get in the stationary aisle.

The newer style of rubber band (the kind you're dealing with) is fairly durable, and I haven't experienced any cracking or breaking in the ten or so years they've been around. If you want to extend their longevity, though, a good tip is to avoid keeping them stretched. Some sets (like the Ninjago Fire Temple) use rubber bands for a function that has the rubber bands stretched in the "default" state, so that when you do whatever triggers the function, it snaps into the "activated" state. But if you intend to leave the set in a position which would have the rubber bands stretched for any considerable length of time, it's best to remove the rubber bands before leaving the set displayed or stored. For the set you got these bands in, on the other hand, the "default" state has the bands stretched less than its "activated" state (since the suspension is made to spring back when not in use). I doubt the bands are stretched enough to considerably weaken them in that case, and not having the rubber bands would eliminate its suspension, so I think you have more to gain than to lose by leaving them on.

I was thinking. I have also the set 8282 and it also has a cool "swinging suspension" - although harder - but it uses a metal spring instead of elastic band. I think Lego could achieve the same soft suspension it achieved with the 42001 also using a thinner metal spring and metal (steel) spring should last much longer than any good quality rubber band.

...and metal (steel) spring should last much longer than any good quality rubber band.

There was a discussion over at the Technic sub-forum on this; basically, those metal-springed suspension pieces will continue to work fine as there will be little, if any, noticeable 'creep' of the spring in the lifetime of the whole piece.

There was a discussion over at the Technic sub-forum on this; basically, those metal-springed suspension pieces will continue to work fine as there will be little, if any, noticeable 'creep' of the spring in the lifetime of the whole piece.

Unless it is 9398 with its shock absorbers not being of top quality sometimes - one or two of the springs compresses over time.

Silicone rubber is a lot more durable than older, natural rubber bands. Silicone is a medical grade material and is used in internal implants (not just cosmetic implants). As long as you do not overstretch it, it should maintain tensile strength with minimal deterioration.

High quality rubber bands are very easy to buy these days. Rainbow Loom kits are popular with kids and has resulted in many retailers selling packs of high quality rubber bands in various colors.

Edited by Arigomi