• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic  – Started by eurotrash , Feb 15 2014 06:15 PM

#1 eurotrash

eurotrash
  • Put the FUN in funicular

Member: 25286

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:15 PM

245D

Team eurotrash/Oirad 72 are proud to present their combined ex-pat Brit/Italian entry to the Pirate Teamwork Competition.

We decided to go for a set-based approach - something that Lego could produce, sets with playability and strength and we agreed to update the classic Pirate feel.  So, strap your Parrot to your shoulder, shiver your timbers and please enjoy our contributions - The Slippery Eel Tavern and Fort Degas.

The Slippery Eel Tavern by Oirad 72

This notorious Tavern is set on a busy Jetty.  It's a den of thieves and cutthroats and any Redcoat that wanders down here better be on the lookout.

Posted Image

The set comes complete with a rowboat, cargo-crane and Mermaid.

Posted Image

Inside the Tavern there's a fully equipped bar area, steps up to the second floor storage room and a doorway through to the upper deck.  But it looks like a junior Redcoat is questioning the Innkeeper "What do you know about smuggling?", he's asking.

Posted Image

But the Innkeeper is afraid and has pulled the pin, the trapdoor opens and the Redcoat tumbles into the mouth of the waiting crocodile!

Posted Image

The upper deck and crane with some very effective textures and colors on the wall.

Posted Image

The locating Technic pins that enable the two sets to be combined.

Posted Image

Fort Degas by eurotrash

This set comes complete with a Seagull stolen from the Parisian Restaurant.

Posted Image

It attached to the Tavern via the Technic pins in the Jetty and hidden in the rock.  It has open backed access to the Entrance Room, Hall, Dungeon and Tower.  And the roof comes off for additional access.

Posted Image

"This Rock wall is interesting.  I wonder what's behind here"

Posted Image

"Get in the Dungeon you Pirate scum"

Posted Image

"But don't worry - I'll set you free!"

Posted Image

Here's a short youtube video showing the mechanics for opening the Treasure cave and removing the Dungeon wall.

Thanks for reading.  We hope you enjoyed our entry!

eurotrash/ Oirad 72

#2 Andy D

Andy D
  • Older than Dirt

Member: 12805

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

Very nice entry!  Good luck in the competition. I really like all the little details.

Andy D

Less spending, more building is my plan for 2012!
Get organized and build more is my plan for 2013!
Just build more is my plan for 2014! (Good luck with that!)
Neatness counts!
Let's go sorting
It's only too late if you don't start now!
2013 was a good plan, back to that!

#3 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!

Member: 3891

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

Nicely done, it reminds me a bit of the Lagoon lock up set, I love that hidden cave entrance.
Good luck Posted Image .
Posted Image

#4 Cara

Cara
  • Green Captain of the Flying Piranha

Member: 12904

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:03 PM

They are very different buildings but I could see them being in the same town. That sliding passage rock wall is really fun. I wondered why the floor by the passage was yellow? The fort looks a bit bare inside, maybe it could get some furniture? But all the details on the outside of it look really good.

Edited by Cara, 16 February 2014 - 11:06 PM.

Guilds of Historica: Proud Mitgardian.  Astrun Egilsdóttir, Journeyman Bard
Tournament of Retribution III: Bluecoat, Deck Scrubber - Redcoats, Fear my Brush!

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My Flickr Album
Obsessively making square bricks into round shapes.

#5 eurotrash

eurotrash

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

View PostCara, on 16 February 2014 - 11:03 PM, said:

I wondered why the floor by the passage was yellow?

It's a beach!  

Will Turner stole the rowboat from The Slippery Eel Tavern and has used it to access the Treasure Cave via the beach....  Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for all the kind comments.

#6 Capt. Stabbin

Capt. Stabbin
  • Mister Captain Master

Member: 8447

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

Very nice entry!  I love the colors chosen, and all the playable details.

Go to Classic-Pirates.com

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Posted Image

#7 -DoNe-

-DoNe-

Member: 28660

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

Great work on both creations! I really do like all the features that you guys put into them! Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image   Posted Image

Flickr   Brickshelf     MOCpage

#8 Ridge Montante

Ridge Montante

Member: 35167

Posted 06 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

Excellent job. I love the colors for the Slippery Eel Tavern. And that treasure cave is awesome.
Posted Image

"Do you think he plans it all out? Or just makes it up as he goes along?"

"Great, now they come in fun size."

#9 The_Cook

The_Cook
  • Piratical Project Manager

Member: 23998

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

Two very nice builds and great consistency. From the perspective of the rules which state that you're designing sets that Lego might produce both builds look like they'd pass the technical review in as much as they look like instructions could be provided to actually build them and there are no obvious illegal connections.

The second build would have looked much nicer if you had utilised a blue baseplate rather than plating over a green baseplate; I assume you didn't have access to the relevant part so it's an understandable compromise that we amateur builders all have to make.

Some simple but well executed ideas for play features. Is there enough room to easily allow a minifig to slide beneath the tavern or into the goal and for little hands to easily be able to retrieve the minifig?

#10 TheLegoDr

TheLegoDr
  • Yellow Panel Expert

Member: 19128

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

Interesting buildings. Nice job. I really like the coloring on the second one.

How did the hooks get attached to the rod in the first picture? The gentleman in the back is carrying two buckets via hooks. Is that glued on or are there holes big enough to accommodate that? I'd love to make a more accurate cane for Riddler.
Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

flickr
See my collection

#11 oirad 72

oirad 72

Member: 12319

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

View PostTheLegoDr, on 06 March 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

Interesting buildings. Nice job. I really like the coloring on the second one.

How did the hooks get attached to the rod in the first picture? The gentleman in the back is carrying two buckets via hooks. Is that glued on or are there holes big enough to accommodate that? I'd love to make a more accurate cane for Riddler.
Hi! Thank you for your comment. It's a rigid hose, whose hole is big enough to accomodate the hooks. No glue used.

View PostThe_Cook, on 06 March 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:

Two very nice builds and great consistency. From the perspective of the rules which state that you're designing sets that Lego might produce both builds look like they'd pass the technical review in as much as they look like instructions could be provided to actually build them and there are no obvious illegal connections.

The second build would have looked much nicer if you had utilised a blue baseplate rather than plating over a green baseplate; I assume you didn't have access to the relevant part so it's an understandable compromise that we amateur builders all have to make.

Some simple but well executed ideas for play features. Is there enough room to easily allow a minifig to slide beneath the tavern or into the goal and for little hands to easily be able to retrieve the minifig?

Hi and thank you! Yes there is enough space to play. About the crocodile trap: it s easily useable by kids as well
Dario
http//www.flickr.com/oirad72/

#12 eurotrash

eurotrash

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:51 PM

In one of the earlier iterations of Fort Degas there was more of an island feel to it with beaches on three sides and the green base worked well, but the idea of a cave with a hidden mechanism meant that the island had to go.  I had to use what I had available.

Is there enough room to easily allow a minifig to slide ....into the goal and for little hands to easily be able to retrieve the minifig?

The trap door into the dungeon is a 2 x 5 hole and minifigs easily slide into that gap and to remove the minifig you simply remove the detachable panel at the rear.  I designed the playability around my own fat-fingers so I don't think kids will have a problem at all.

Thanks for all the feedback - it's been a challenging, but fun competition!

#13 Gunman

Gunman

Member: 10309

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:58 PM

Sweet mocs guys. Good luck to you!

Sir Gunman the Lurikeen, proud member of Mitgardia
Hersir of Infantry , Economic titan , Frost Berserker , Miller , Farmer , Gentleman

<3 Tarja Turunen for life

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

flickR

#14 Yatkuu

Yatkuu
  • Valiant effort

Member: 9984

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:06 PM

Good entry guys!
The modular aspect is simple yet works perfectly just like the official Modular buildings do. I can easily imagine expanding the sides to add more buildings in order to form a complete harbor/sea front.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pirates, Tavern, Fort, Modular

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links