• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 captaintau

captaintau

• Two Drink Minimum

Member: 525

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:42 PM

7163: Republic Gunship

First and foremost, I had a quite negative eBay experience with this. I'll try not to let that cloud my judgement

From Episode: Two
Year of release: 2003***
RRP: $90.00*** (note currently on eBay for over 200!)
Pieces: 686***

The first thing that jumps out from the above that there a $20 price difference between this at the AT-TE for just 32 extra pieces. That seems a bit steep. My guess is all the extra minifigs justify this (in the eyes of TLC).

So, let's start with the minifigs:

Jedi Knight:
No established individual. Often referred to as "Jedi Jimmy". Green Lightsaber. Hood. Cloak. No braid so obviously a Knight (could be a Master, but we'll go with Knight). Quite a maniacal expression which makes me wonder if he's skirting a bit close to the Dark Side!
Clones:
Standard AOTC Clones, as also in the AT-TE. These have different coloured rifle emitters, though.
Super Battle Droids:
Baktoid Combat Automata B2 Super Battle Droid. Shiny and blue. Simple really. Just arms and legs attach to body. No studs anywhere. Look better than standard Battle Droids, so a lot less LEGOish. Minimal usability to them due to their being no studs. Until the Droid Battle Pack came along, this was the only set these were in. It remains the only set they're available in in Blue.
Droideka: Colicoid Creation Nest P-Series Destroyer Droid. As seen in Jedi Defence 1. Slightly different here in that blasters are arranged differently.

Now, the Gunship:

Rothana Heavy Engineering Low-Altitude Assault Transport/Infantry Repulsorlift Gunship (LAAT/i). Big kit that goes well in a general Battle of Geonosis scene and especially well with the AT-TE. LEGO have worked hard to capture the shape, yet also let artistic juices flow. Its constructed in modules:

Module 1: Rear section:
Grated floor with standing space is one aspect of reality since the primary purpose of this craft is troop deployment. Several figures could occupy this space. To the rear of this space is a control unit on hinges (why on hinges?) and also clips for a weapon for each of the Clones. These clips are a nice touch. To either side of the troop space is a gunnery station with two control sticks. Each can (just) seat a clone. Two stutter-hinges allow stations to swing outwards. Wing doors attach and open backwards to give greater access to troop area. Certainly this module is geared toward reality. Also high playability in itself

Module 2: Front section:
Two sides that join at the centre to help establish the overall look. Each has control / sensor panels. Each also has hemisphere-mounted LASER cannon. Not created in the same way as the AT-TE's but has similar look and the same end effect. The left side also has magnet for holding the tool pod. This means the pod can be dropped mid flight or remain in place on landing as the front opens. The front opens outwards making the forward section like a mobile command HQ. This is where LEGO have employed some artistic license.

Pod:
Same as in Jango Fett's Slave 1. Same shape, same doors, same magnet fixation. This particular pod contains a figure-holdable tool and sensor / diagnostic unit. This is excellent since it has universal applications, like AT-TE repair (the AT-TE comes with just a circular saw). This unit can only hold 4 of the 6 supplied tools (standard tool set), but we'll come to those soon.

Build:
Putting the first two modules together makes the base of the craft. With the pod in place, there is virtually no gap in the floor.

Module 3: Top rear:
Joins to the rear section and is easily separable. This aspect we'll address later. Another hemispherical cannon at the rear. There is also a container box built either side. One of each of the two remain tools can go in each of these. There is also some greebling in this section for engines. Smart. The greebling is covered over by a large hinged hatch. There is another, smaller, hinged hatch at the rear, I think purely for greeble purposes. This section also displays the Republic insignia. There is also a rising sensor thing that is not shown in my New Essential Guide. More greebling, I think. But good.

Module 4: Cockpit:
Joins to top rear section and hinges down to cover front section. Two seats, each with controls. Each covered by non-hinged canopy, the same as used in the E2 Jedi Starfighter, but the other way around. Also has a hinged small flag at the front to go over the front section. This adds to the look. The cockpit dropping down over the front section locks the two sides closed.

Wings:
Symmetrical. With an unmanned gunnery station and a big missile launcher each. Join to top rear and stutter-hinge down over pre-built supports.

Separation:
Not described in the New Essential Guide, but the top can separate from the
bottom,
leaving an aerial fighter and mobile outpost. Very much artistic licence. To add to this, since 2 of the 6 tools are held in the upper section, there still remains a basic field repair kit even on the separated unit. Clever. For Trekkies, I also think the aerial section looks just like a Klingon Bird of Prey!

In conclusion, this has become one of the most sought-after sets from Star Wars. It is now going for ridiculous prices on eBay and forums often call for an ep 3 remake. If it were cheaper, a fleet of these would be great for playability and scene recreation. Goes well with the AT-TE.

Final scores (taking price into account)

Variation of parts 9/10
Parts for Price: 9/10
Minifigs: 9/10 High marks for having so many rare figures
Playabilty factor* 8/10 Very playable. Different modes of play.
Build 8/10 Pretty good
Overall 8.6/10**

Posted Image

#2 dunamis

dunamis

• It's no good captain i canny reach!!!

Member: 226

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:59 PM

Nice review.  This is probably my favorite Star Wars LEGO set.  Nice detail, lots of minifigs, nice playability, displays well, etc.

The only downer for me regarding this set is the huge number of stickers.  I have a few of these sets and the stickers range from outstanding to flaking off and barely usable.

Otherwise a fantastic set.
So much LEGO, so little time...

#3 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:03 AM

Wow, another great and useful review of a good and now real "classic" LEGO Star Wars set, thanks!  *y*

#4 Athos

Athos

• Sloppiness Seeker

Member: 84

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:35 AM

I bought my copy with my first paycheck from my first paid job in the legal arena!  X-D

Steve

#5 mutley777

mutley777

• The one and only Star Wars hoarder!

Member: 193

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:27 PM

Another good review CT of one of the most loved PT sets! It is such a great set that it was bound to get very expencive after it was discontinued. When i was selling in BL i had 6 of them that i had picked up half price! I wish i still had them now :-D .

#6 Wyvern

Wyvern

Member: 1570

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

Hi, I am a little slow. Only to have started out collecting Star wars Lego late. Miss this impressive playset. Just curious, do you guys think that LEGO would "improvise" the design of the republic gunship and release it again...? I am just taking a gauge from the X-wing series, Slave 1..etc.

Seems to me that LEGO is improving on its design and relaunching it again... :-)

#7 captaintau

captaintau

• Two Drink Minimum

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:22 PM

View PostWyvern, on May 4 2007, 02:45 PM, said:

Hi, I am a little slow. Only to have started out collecting Star wars Lego late. Miss this impressive playset. Just curious, do you guys think that LEGO would "improvise" the design of the republic gunship and release it again...? I am just taking a gauge from the X-wing series, Slave 1..etc.

By "improvise", do you mean "improve"?

That's something we've discussed and hope will happen. Well, improve or just rerelease.

#8 Starwars4J

Starwars4J

Member: 257

Posted 04 May 2007 - 04:29 PM

Yeah, with the upcoming AT-AT update, the Slave 1's, two A-wings, B-wings, Y-wings, etc, I'd say another Republic Gunship, one of the most popular SW sets, is almost assured  *sweet*

#9 Wyvern

Wyvern

Member: 1570

Posted 05 May 2007 - 02:31 PM

Oh yes, I do mean that. Pardon me for my poor command in langauge...:p

Btw, I did see once on ebay which seems like a custom Repbulic Gunship...I can't find the link right now, but its really nice... :)

Hopefully, this Gunship can be re-release... :D

View Postcaptaintau, on May 5 2007, 12:22 AM, said:

By "improvise", do you mean "improve"?

That's something we've discussed and hope will happen. Well, improve or just rerelease.

#10 trooperdavinfelth

trooperdavinfelth

Member: 1223

Posted 05 May 2007 - 03:29 PM

Great review on my favorite set ever! If they make it anew, it should have a random Jedi to prove that they did indeed use the gunships to make it planetside. Btw, that Jedi is a good Echuu Shen Jon. Who is this, do you ask? Play Galactic Battlegrounds: The Clone Campaigns, or look him up on the wookiee wiki.
Join the Clone Commando Pod Republic Commando Clan!
In which users from all over the world join to share their love of Star Wars: Republic Commando!

Join the Clone Army Builders Guild!
In which users from across the globe come together to share their love of Lego Star Wars and MOCing!

For gosh's sakes, people! THEY ARE PRELIMINARY!

On the semi-crappy looking early 2009 sets.

#11 Ras 74

Ras 74

• Prince of PM´s

Member: 114

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:38 AM

Great review CT!
This is my all time fav. PT set, so there fore I got... 5,
(still regreat that you sold me that one you found all beaten up Kim  :-P )
Im in the plan for changing the old grey colours to new grey.
But then there is this matter, if they redesign it, I would not need to do this transformation of grey.
If they re-release it, then it is ok.
Also planing to transform one of them to the Ep. III version (lime green) and another one to
the cartoon Clone Wars version (blue).
Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Please read the
Members Guidelines and check the Tutorials Index

Brickshelf Gallery

#12 Trionx

Trionx

Member: 1231

Posted 06 May 2007 - 03:18 PM

nice review, I really like this set, but I think that they should just do a re-release, and not change anything, that set is fine the way it is, (but I did make doors on it that can seal up the compartment on the inside, I'll have to put photos of that up soon...  :-D )

Posted Image

"I just won't rest until I can boil him down to a frothy liquid, ingest him, and unceremoniously evacuate him into the New York City sanitation system."
-Max, Sam & Max: The Big Sleep

Links Roll Call: Twitter Feed Steam Profile

#13 Lord Admiral Helden Ravensdorn

Lord Admiral Helden Ravensdorn

Member: 806

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:31 PM

I have a quick question before I buy this bad-boy...

How many minifigs can the rear section realistically hold? I'm just trying to figure out how big of a clone trooper squad it can hold.

#14 captaintau

captaintau

• Two Drink Minimum

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:39 PM

Difficult to say as there's a lot of non-studdd area. A fair few, I would imagine. At least a half dozen.

#15 Lord Admiral Helden Ravensdorn

Lord Admiral Helden Ravensdorn

Member: 806

Posted 23 May 2007 - 05:27 PM

Not studded area can easily be tiled over :P

Mkay, then, I'll aim my squads at 5 Clones + a Sergeant.

#16 Grand Moff Viceroy

Grand Moff Viceroy

Member: 1601

Posted 26 May 2007 - 04:09 PM

My friend has it and it was quite bulky although i didnt like the front or how it opened theyt should make ep.3 version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users