Sign in to follow this  
Eichhorn

MOC architecture: Brooklyn Bridge 1/650 scale

A Bridge rebuilt

12234914116_7d134ff3fc_b.jpg

After gathering dust on my shelf for some time I finally decided to redo my Lego Brooklyn Bridge. I decided the redesign was darmatic enough to warrant it's own topic.

If you are interested here is a link to the previous version which I would now merely call a sketch for the new bridge.

This project started out of my love for the iconic Bridge. Altough I am from Austria and have not set foot on the actual Brooklyn Bridge (yet) I developed a serious fascination for the iconic landmark after reading the book "The Great Bridge" .

After countless passes of revisions on the original brickbuilt model and even more versions of the Bridge in LDD, I finally arrived at what I consider to be the ultimate rendition of New York City's oldest suspensionbridge in a scale that makes it a great model for displaypurposes. I bhave the bridge built in real bricks, but I'm still working on a light-setup that let#s me take prober pictures of the model. But a picture says mor than a thousand words, so without further ado...

12234098845_28b714b136_b.jpg12234508284_3f4a9ab4db_b.jpg12234098215_997bae17cd_b.jpg12234276743_d22c16eabb_b.jpg

12270069204_d80d26e0ef_b.jpg

Some details about the model:

Scale: 1/650

Length: 85 studs

Height: 13 bricks 2 plates

Width: 5 studs

Pieces used: ~850

For some more Information you can check out the Cuusoo-page I made for the model:

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/690

12234277763_bc179971b4_c.jpg

Edit 02/02/2014: Added photo: towerexploded

Edited by Eichhorn

Nice! That shows that a bridge really can be done as an Architecture set, and done well. I white like the white box mockup, too.

And that is a lot of hammers.

Hi

i love the real thing too, but i have seen it many times.

I like the general design but i dont the color. The real thing isnt made out of concrete. So tan and darktan would be my color of choice. While you just build it digital i shouldnt be a problem to change the "bricks".

The whole "highway" (literally spoken) has a different color. Rust would discribe it at best ;)

The middle line between the tracks have to be darkbrown. This is where the joggers (pedestrian) used to be. Its made of wood!

Dino

Edited by Darth Dino

Great model and great build, so it seems. I really like the textures you've created, and that make this bridge look really good.

I guess it would be very hard to do the vertical cables however...

Anyway great model. It only needs a micro boat, and you've got an amazing set.

Thanks for all the Feedback. I really appriciate it.

@Darth Dino: I deliberatly chose the uniform colorscheme due to the stylized look of the bridge. I could've used Darktan and such in the LDD-model but I tried to keep it buildable in real bricks.

I will update the OP with pictures of the brickbuilt-version as soon as I manage to take a good photo.