gallery_2351_18_164.gif

After sorting most of my small bricks and special Lego elements today, I decided to build my own minifig-scale AT RT. Yes, I know, this chicken walker has been done a thousand times, but since it is a very small and flimsy vehicle, at least in Lego, I wanted to take on the challenge. My goal was to build it in minifig-scale (not counting the antenna, it's approximately 2.5 minifigs in height), and still retain the look, shapes and detail of the original, without making it look messy.

So right from the start I decided not to use hinge elements and plates for the 'cockpit' plating, instead opting to use snot, cheese slopes and two 3x2 wedge plates. I also decided to make the central axis that forms the seat one brick wide, so as to give the illusion that the trooper sits comfortably on a motorcycle-like seat, as with the original.

Before I start to ramble, here's some pictures, because as they say, these say more than a thousand words...

Enjoy!

Edit: Updated this post with images of the newest build.

ATRT1A.jpg

ATRT1B.jpg

Edited by DarthTwoShedsJackson

Very well done, it captures the look perfectly without being oversized. and it seems movie accurate as far as I can remember. :thumbup:

This is a really nice little walker, one of the best I've seen. Your choice to work with SNOT instead of hinges paid of, I think.

The very long flat front isn't super accurate however. Maybe playing some more with some slopes can give you more the snout look here. Also, it would be nice if you would include that little piston between the body and the upper leg, maybe with a minifig lever. Lastly, if you want to be really really accurate, you'll need three toes, but I don't see how you can achieve that...

Yeah, although it's the fifthiest AT-RT, you've managed to make it nice and new. Congrats!

Nice MOC DarthTwoShedsJackson. The scale looks great but there are little thing that arent just right like the front of the cockpit. The use of snot is nice and seems to work well for this build, even though the porportions are a little off. :thumbup:

Thanks a lot for the nice comments and constructive criticism. After you pointed it out, the whole front began to bug me, too. So I went back, ripped it apart and built it new today to be closer to the 'snout'-shape of the original.

The initial version images have moved here for reference, plus images of the refined build, which also replaced the old images in my opening post.

Initial version:

8rzu.jpg

bhjn.jpg

xhtp.jpg

rleb.jpg

Refined version:

ATRT1A.jpg

ATRT1B.jpg

You've managed to make a fantastic little model even better! You've managed to do at a small scale what TLG couldn't achieve at a large scale.

So... congratulations! The new front is fantastic, and it's great to see you revisited some other parts of the model as well.

Will this AT-RT be appearing in any diorama's, or have you built it as the vehicle an sich?

Good work!

I like your designs, especially of the refined version.

Thanks, guys, I'm glad you like it.

Will this AT-RT be appearing in any diorama's, or have you built it as the vehicle an sich?

At the moment, I'm just building what strikes my fancy without a large diorama or battle-scene in mind, mainly to explore building techniques.

That being said, I'm tinkering with the idea of starting a series of builds and new characters as minifigs (using existing official elements), and possibly even stories, all set in the New Jedi Order-era or even after the events that will be depicted in the new sequel trilogy, with my own designs of starfighters and vehicles and characters in the spirit of the look of Star Wars, especialy the original trilogy.

That's really nice! I think that it beats the (oversized) one that LEGO made last year.