DarthYannick

[Review] The 9493 X-Wing Superb Ship

gallery_101_23_281.gif

LEGOXWING-590x393.jpg

Well, this is review of one of the most iconic space ship in Star Wars, T-65 X-Wing, alongside the Millennium Falcon and the TIE Fighter (at least for me).

Three spaceships I want so badly in the LEGO lineup. I just got the X-Wing 9493 set for my Xmas present :D. I finished building the X-Wing the same day. And spent another few hours trying to improve it. I still want to change few things but I don’t have the elements yet.

BoxXWingjpg-590x393.jpg

Well let’s start with the beginning. The box is kinda huge, I think too big for what is inside. They could have cut it by half. Just the minimum to pack all the goodies, tightly. Never mind. They surely know what they are doing.

MinifigXWing-590x393.jpg

Four minifigs are included in this set: Luke Skywalker, Jek Porkins, R2-D2 & R5-D8. So it’s mainly a Star Wars IV set. Tell me why there is a Darth Maul on the box? I sure didn’t get everything here.

So I built the set in less than 2 hours, with a little break between the wings. And then after looking at it for few minutes, I decided to improve it a little bit. That work is still in progress so I will post pictures of the final X-Wing soon I presume. When I will get the parts. I though that the nose of the fighter was a bit too loose...

XWingStarWars-28122013-18-590x393.jpg

So as you will see on the pictures, I modified the top nose, the back, the wings (I didn’t like the stickers and I’m waiting for few parts to replace/add) and I want to improve the weapons and get rid of the stickers for the engines.

I also love the X-Wing in combat mode, so in order to keep it in that mode when displayed, I had to build a stand – I made a prototype, something quite bulky and with lots of different bricks – and I think that it’s okay. It will be very useful for pictures also.

XWingStarWars-28122013-89-590x393.jpg

I like that X-Wing. I even love it. It was fun to build, it’s fun to customize it. And it’s really nice to have it on display. It’s also small enough to play with it (unlike the bigger set which is huge and I presume only for display). It’s kinda solid imho and I can imagine my son in the future playing with it and my future Star Wars sets.

I highly recommend this set for any Star Wars fans. It’s an iconic spaceship you can see in Star Wars IV, V & VI. The ones I grew up with. The ones my son will grow up with. Of course he will watch the I, II & III films as the future ones. But you can’t start with Star Wars without starting with the older films. I don’t care if it doesn’t follow the chronology because if he watch the I, II & III first, he could be disgusted with Star Wars! And I would be depressed…

XWingStarWars-28122013-51-590x393.jpg

Jek Porkins & R5-D8 + The Engines

XWingStarWars-28122013-52-590x393.jpg

The Lightly Modified Blurry Nose

XWingStarWars-28122013-65-590x393.jpg

Jek Porkins is watching you…

XWingStarWars-28122013-72-590x393.jpg

With that picture you can see the modifications I made on top...

XWingStarWars-28122013-74-590x393.jpg

And there you can notice the “new” back. I didn't like the empty spaces on the original version

XWingStarWars-28122013-85-590x393.jpg

Ready to kick some TIE Fighter arses…

Hope you liked the pictures :-)

I try to update the post with another picture, and it's impossible to publish it.

I get that : "Your post is too short"

Any ideas?

Lovely review and MOD! I also love this set, but I find that the wing mechanism is very fragile. It works, but it isn't very stable. Is yours fragile too, or is it just me? Great job again! :sweet:

Lovely review and MOD! I also love this set, but I find that the wing mechanism is very fragile. It works, but it isn't very stable. Is yours fragile too, or is it just me? Great job again! :sweet:

Thanks. For me the nose was more fragile than the wings system. Beside that, it's my first set, so I have nothing to compare with for the solidity of this system. It seems pretty solid for me. It's stable, but once open, it really need a stand. Otehrwize the wings below move up.

I love this set, too. But is it superb? Yes, I believe it is. :laugh:

Yes it is. I wanted this set. And it's really nice. To look at and to play with it :D