Hello ppl,

I'm new here and I wanted to share the mod I've done to the 42006.

When I got it, it only took a few minutes before I noticed how much empty space there was in this model. Secondly, it's really boring when not using motor(s). So it only took 2 minutes before I added a motor. When kids started playing with it I saw how still boring it was, flipping those selectors back and forth. At once I started modding it.

A big challange for me, was to only use 4 motors. Why? Cause as you all know, you can only use 8 motors at the same time and having 2 kids, we have this "golden rule", that they have 2 channels (4 motors) each ;)

Since I really love the design, I tried to stick to changing as little as possible on it.

Don't think it's possible to do that if you wanna have all 4 motors in the main chassi, so, I decided to live with the "flaw" of having 2 motors and hence the batteries in the bottom, which due to the cable limits the turntable to not spin forever. So I did put a stop in the front, so turret (is that what you call it?) can only turn 180 in each direction - which is oki if you plan ahead when "digging" ;)

So, I have 2 motors in the bottom for the tracks and 2 motors in the main turret. 1 motor controlling a 4 function sequential gearbox, changing between: Turntable, arm base, arm mid and finally the claw. The 2nd motor in the turret of course powers all these 4 functions.

Please, check out my video on youtube and let me know what you think ;)

All feedback is welcomed.

Would it be possible to say, which parts have you used to switch the sequential gerbox insted of the classic switcher? It is really well done creation. ;)

Nice job Juhlengo! I think he used the engine crankshaft piece combined with a very small length of cut rigid tubing.

Nice job Juhlengo! I think he used the engine crankshaft piece combined with a very small length of cut rigid tubing.

Yes, you might be right. ;)

Yes, you might be right. ;)

Yep, that's it ;)

As I wrote in the youtube movie, the actual pin used could've been a Lego Rigid hose (3mm), cut to a length of 7-8mm (a black uncut shown in picture below). However, I like my Lego just too much, so I couldn't bring myself to cut a piece. So insted, I used a piece of wood (barbeque stick = large tooth pick... kind of) which by the way is NOT shown in the picture, but you see it well enough in the youtube clip.

The good part with the crankshaft is:

1.) It fits perfect without causing NO friction against the clutch (see picture below).

2.) It makes that perfect half studlength move that is required for the "clutch".

Also, worth to note is that I used the smooth axle-connector in the center, since I didn't want friction/"clicks" in the gear changing, my own gear selector has it's own clicks and works better with less friction.

***edit - should of course be NO friction***

post-105411-0-87652500-1384982651_thumb.jpg

Epic work ...very well made! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thx m8 ;)

Edited by Juhlengo

Yep, that's it ;)

As I wrote in the youtube movie, the actual pin used could've been a Lego Rigid hose (3mm), cut to a length of 7-8mm (a black uncut shown in picture below). However, I like my Lego just too much, so I couldn't bring myself to cut a piece. So insted, I used a piece of wood (barbeque stick = large tooth pick... kind of) which by the way is NOT shown in the picture, but you see it well enough in the youtube clip.

The good part with the crankshaft is:

Thank you very much :)

Very interesting work. That shows much creativity, I don't think I'll ever get the idea to find a solution like this. Do you plan to make instructions in further time?

Greetings

Alex

As MrNumbskull13 said: COMPACT.... hehe, putting the "gearselector-housing"together wasn't all that easy, it's compact ;) However, I'd like to point out that the whole construction is very sturdy. The few changes I've made, only made it more sturdy.

Very interesting work. That shows much creativity, I don't think I'll ever get the idea to find a solution like this. Do you plan to make instructions in further time?

Greetings

Alex

Yes,

Well, I've thought a little bit about instructions, and I guess that depends on a few factors ;)

* Is people interesting in getting instructions? Cause with two kids, I don't have all that much "free" time ;) But I'd love to help ppl.

* Secondly, just picked up on Technic Lego... been off for a couple of years now. What I'm trying to say is: What program do I use? Played around with LCad (I think that's what it's called) a few years back, so I guess I need help in that department ;) What do I use?

When it comes to creativity and solutions: Yes, I'l like to think so myself, especially when it comes to the crankshafts used as gearselectors. That's the main reason for taking the time to share this with you all. Cause that's the point with forums like this, to share good ideas and inspire together ;) I'd be more than happy to see someone copy that idea into their own MOC/Mods. I for one will use it more, since as I pointed out, my future MOC/Mods will most likely have no more than 4 motors.

Well, I've thought a little bit about instructions, and I guess that depends on a few factors ;)

* Is people interesting in getting instructions? Cause with two kids, I don't have all that much "free" time ;) But I'd love to help ppl.

As it is an interesting mod, I think that's not only me who ist interested in instructions. But I know that making them need lot of time, and most people don't have this time. I have a family too and not always time, but I've a lot of fun in creating instructions, so even if you have a quick rudimentary lfx file, and if I can build up the mod successfully, I can made instructions in MLCAD and publish a PDF file. After some big projects, I'm experienced enough to make Instructions in rather short time.

Greetings

Alex

As it is an interesting mod, I think that's not only me who ist interested in instructions. But I know that making them need lot of time, and most people don't have this time. I have a family too and not always time, but I've a lot of fun in creating instructions, so even if you have a quick rudimentary lfx file, and if I can build up the mod successfully, I can made instructions in MLCAD and publish a PDF file. After some big projects, I'm experienced enough to make Instructions in rather short time.

Greetings

Alex

Actaully just downloaded LDD and I'll see what I can do ;) If not, I have a few more pictures I took while building it.

nice job and indeed nifty function switching, congrats.

But, may i ask you a question (maybe a little bit provocative to be honest ;-):

Why do you not buy a 8043 for that money?

A new 42006 costs at least ~50€ - the needed PF-stuff for your MOD costs about 87€ (4x M, 1 Battarybox, 2 reveivers, 2 senders), so complete ~ 140€

For that prize you can get a used 8043 complete with box and BI in very good condition - and IMHO the 8043 is a way better model even compared to your moded 42006, because he can rotate endless and you can operated related functions simultaneously (all arm movements e.g.)...

But just my 2 ct!

A new 42006 costs at least ~50€ - the needed PF-stuff for your MOD costs about 87€ (4x M, 1 Battarybox, 2 reveivers, 2 senders), so complete ~ 140€

Well I think the reason is nobody did the same before? And extra parts are really common in other sets.

nice job and indeed nifty function switching, congrats.

But, may i ask you a question (maybe a little bit provocative to be honest ;-):

For that prize you can get a used 8043 complete with box and BI in very good condition - and IMHO the 8043 is a way better model even compared to your moded 42006, because he can rotate endless and you can operated related functions simultaneously (all arm movements e.g.)...

But just my 2 ct!

You know what: no offence taken at all, actually, I'm glad you asked, cause I have a valid answer. And my answer will be returning questions.

What's the challange in buying a 8043? None. How many ppl have you seen making a 42006 doing all 6 functions with only 4 motors, slim, as in almost untouched design (and batterybox not visable - on top)?

Hmmm... just realized that sounded defensive ;) Sorry.

No, but seriously. As you can see in the video, I already have the 8043, and yes, it has crossed my mind that a person not having any of em would be better off buying the 8043.

So yes, Zux said it:

Well I think the reason is nobody did the same before? And extra parts are really common in other sets.

And like I tried to say earlier, now that my daughters are finally old enough (8 and 5) to pick up on Technic, we try to stick to 4 motors per thing. And now that I figured out a good way to use 1 motor as an endless (as in, hold it forever, nothing breaks) switch (don't like the shifting in the 8043, since the 5 year old kind of "burns" the motor by holding the gearshifter too long), this was my first model to use it in.

If you just give it a little thought, with this shifter idea you could use 1 motor to switch inbetween.... yes, how many functions?

I know the answer....can you figure it out? ;)

1 million dollar question is: Using only 2 motors, like I did in the "turret", how many functions could you control using this technology?

Edited by Juhlengo

I understand Juhlengos' intention; There are many people who has motorized the 8043 in different ways, and with Jurgens' Ultimate 8043 wher you have instructions with, everybody can motorize it.

The 42006 is smaller, so it's a challenge to find a way not to change the design too much. There's no place for 6 motors, so how to modify to get all 6 functions motorized? The solution is shown in the video with a shifter and a complex gear drive - that's why it would be interesting to have instructions. Ok, you find other videos from motorized 42006, but this is something special :)

Greetings

Alex

1 million dollar question is: Using only 2 motors, like I did in the "turret", how many functions could you control using this technology?

Hmmm, looks like we have no winners here today? ;)

Speaking of challange, truth is, making the lower part (chassi with tracks) was a challange I didn't see coming.

Those that have tried knows ;)

How many people have you seen motorizing the tracks with m-motors and batterybox in the buttom in a way so that:

* It's a sturdy design

* Not far off original design (as in same axle-width and length).

* Not going too fast (just look at youtube, how the user Piolo Pakwann has been struggling using different motors and finally settled for a solution using only 3 batteries in the batterybox = cheating imho ;)

Not saying my solution there is the best, cause obviously it would have been smarter using L-motors, simply cause their design allows for motor to be part of the "frame" = more mounting points = less support needed since the motor becomes part of the chassi.

I understand Juhlengos' intention; There are many people who has motorized the 8043 in different ways, and with Jurgens' Ultimate 8043 wher you have instructions with, everybody can motorize it.

The 42006 is smaller, so it's a challenge to find a way not to change the design too much. There's no place for 6 motors, so how to modify to get all 6 functions motorized? The solution is shown in the video with a shifter and a complex gear drive - that's why it would be interesting to have instructions. Ok, you find other videos from motorized 42006, but this is something special :)

completely d'accord... my intention was not to offend Juhlengo but it was just a question... in case somehow just searches for a well playable and fully motorized excavator the 8043 is the better one, period. and only for this case i have asked this question "why not a 8043?"...

Then: there is no need to be defensive... the solution of the modded 42006 and especially the function switching is very nifty and cool (as i said already in my previous posting) and can be indeed a reference implementation when needed in other MOCs....

so: all is fine :classic:

completely d'accord... my intention was not to offend Juhlengo but it was just a question... in case somehow just searches for a well playable and fully motorized excavator the 8043 is the better one, period. and only for this case i have asked this question "why not a 8043?"...

Totally agree ;)

so: all is fine :classic:

Absolutely m8 :wink::thumbup:

amazing job man! should be nice to see a picture of the bottom of .the excavator so the tracks :)

omg! This is really a masterpiece, especially that gearbox switch!

Could you please share us the instructions? Please~~~

Best regards,

Sim

Fantastic work on this model, I really like the built in mechanisms. :thumbup:

One question:

As we know, the hardest part in a non two-positioned (or bistable) gearbox, to know, currently which gear/function is working from the four. So how can you turn exactly that aomunt with the M motor, to place the driving ring (red) in the clutch gear of the actual function well? Can it be that the driving ring goes in to the 16t clutch gear with 50% overlap?

Do you use a sequencer with some rubber load to position the crankshaft pieces in the needed place for actual function? You have to turn for each function exactly 90 degrees.

What motor did you ise to power the gearbox? It acts like a servo motor from the mindstorms.
It looks like a regular PF M motor. There is no place for NXT motors. Edited by Mbmc