After I designed an 8x4 chassis, I wanted to try something new when it came to building something to put on it. I wanted to make something with a ton of functions, and I wanted it not to have Power Functions!

Seeing all the functions others have previously included in various Tow Trucks (notably Sariel, Dikkie Klijn and Grazi), and the different ways of getting those functions to work, I decided that Tow Truck = lots of interesting functions = a nice challenge! :blush:

The lack of anything electric here, really reminded me of how Technic Lego used to be when I was young, with manual cranks and pumps and stuff! I really like it this way! :sweet:

Like all my previous MOCs, it is absolutely not based on any particular real life vehicle, but it is in the style of a European type, heavy Recovery Truck. I'm pretty sure some of the particular functions I've implemented doesn't even exist in that iteration in any real life vehicle :laugh:

Anyways, I'll let the pictures do most of the talking, however I will interrupt at occasions to point things out along the way :wink:

For some "behind the scenes" pictures and some more technical information regarding the functions, please check out my "blog"

Will have to wait till tomorrow to make a video, as it is now too dark to make anything good :wink:

dsc_02551.jpg

As you can probably see, I borrowed some details from the 8258 cab, and then redesigned it, adding a taller roof, openable doors, a different grille, some slopes for better lines, and a front mounted winch.

The cab tilts forward to reveal a V8 engine, driven from the two rear wheels, through a central differential (placed just forward of axle 3)

dsc_02611.jpg

You can also see the front stabilizers. These should be deployed first, as pumping the manual pumps without them, can make even the strongest sailor or truck driver seasick :sick:

The front winch can be used to recover cars/vehicles that are just slightly stuck on the side of the road. The stabilizers provide.. stability

dsc_02561.jpg

It is driven by turning the grey 12z bevel gear in the front

The rear features a similar winch, for the same purpose. It can also be used to tow vehicles, or pull them up onto the towing fork when it is deployed. Here the rear stabilizers also perform the same function as the ones in the front.

dsc_02571.jpg

Between them, the front and rear stabilizers easily lifts the (quite heavy) truck off the ground

dsc_02581.jpg

Yeah, kinda looks like it's going to snap down the middle.. the curse of studless building :blush:

But it actually is fairly solidly built! :classic:

The independent suspension works pretty well (then again the truck is quite heavy)

dsc_02751.jpg

The front two axles feature double wishbone suspension, and the rear axles are live (probably not true to life, but good in Lego)

dsc_02731.jpg

The doors open (JUST LIKE IN A REAL LIFE TRUCK!!)

dsc_02621.jpg

And now for the fun stuff

dsc_02591.jpg

The towing fork swivels/yaws, and is lifted and tilted using pneumatics.

If you hav crashed another European style truck, and don't want a crane boom through your windshield, it can be extended by 5-6 studs using an old style pneumatic cylinder.

dsc_02601.jpg

It retracts with the help of rubber bands. (Will show better in video later on)

As for the crane, if you need to recover someone directly behind you, you can just extend the outriggers and raise it up

dsc_02631.jpg

And the extend the boom

dsc_02641.jpg

Boom extention is not via pneumatics, but rather via a crank mounted on the right hand side of the chassis, just behind the second axle. A system of gears and crossaxles work their way up through the turntable and to the end of the main boom, where there is a worm drive. :wacko:

Did I say turntable? But of course, with the flick of a couple of (pneumatic) switches, you can recover trucks that fell off the side of the road and into a gorge!

dsc_02651.jpg

dsc_02661.jpg

The slewing of the crane is done with pneumatics, similar to the system on the 8868 Air Tech Claw Rig from the early nineties. Unfortunately this limits the work area to slightly less than 180 degrees to the rear of the truck :sceptic:

The outriggers are deployed with.. you guessed it: pneu-matics! :classic:

And the under belly shot

dsc_02701.jpg

I think this covers it all :sweet:

Two air pumps, one air tank, 8 square bottomed cylinders, 9 rounded bottom cylinders, one long old style cylinder (18 pneumatic cylinders in total), 9 switches, too many T-pieces to count and several meters of pneumatic tubing later, I had to finish it, as I need pieces for the [TRIPLE] challenge!

I also made a compressor unit, that will fit in the cabin, if I'm feeling lazy. :laugh: But the overall goal was to make something PF-less, and I am very happy with the result! :blush:

Video:

Edited by D3K

Astounding MOC! :thumbup: :thumbup: Are those my pneumatic cylinders you're using?

By the way, where are the old cylinders?

Thank you guys!

Astounding MOC! :thumbup: :thumbup: Are those my pneumatic cylinders you're using?

By the way, where are the old cylinders?

I'm using one of the long cylinders you sent me, and it's for the towing fork extending/retracting. And that's the only old one :classic:

Off topic: Prior to me receiving the parts from you, I bought three of the same cylinders off a Czech Bricklink store. One had no friction whatsoever, and two had way too much.. One of the latter broke as I tried them out... The two I got from you seemed to be working like they were brand new! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Thanks again!

Excellent model. I like how well the pneumatics are integrated into it and drive all the main functions, much like 8868.

Thanks! :thumbup::classic:

My girlfriend came home sooner than expected today, so I can't make a video just yet, but will try to put something together over the course of the weekend! :blush:

Great model! :wub: I love all the functions and overall look.

I can't believe that you fitted all that in there!

You have inspired me to make stuff non PF! :tongue: haha

you mentioned your pneumatics from BL were stuffed, were they used? I'm guessing they were cheap?

This thing is really awesome looking and the functions are just like i remember from the "old" days. Where in Norway are you?

Yeah,they were used, not too expensive:-) it's ok.

Skriblez:

Thanks, and I'm in Bergen:-)

Amazing pneumatic model. You must have miles of tubing in this thing, and it is all very well hidden. I wish LEGO would make a fully pneumatic model again.

I forgot to ask, what was preventing you from making the boom extension pneumatic? Maybe you'll use more of the old cylinders for something else.

Wow, this one I would surely buy if Lego would produce it! The functions look fantastic and I would very much like to make and see them work in real life. The exterior is probably not quite conform Lego's standards, but it reminds me very much of the old days (even if it is studless). Excellent work!

I forgot to ask, what was preventing you from making the boom extension pneumatic? Maybe you'll use more of the old cylinders for something else.

I was wondering about this as well, I think D3K mentioned in another thread that he wanted to make a pneumatically extended boom.

Amazing MOC! I think this is probably one of the best pneumatic MOCs I have ever seen

That's I say too, absolutely fantastic!

@D3K: Do you plan to make instructions in further time?

Greetings

Alex

Not another tow truck.....But I do like this one.

You have managed to put a lot of functions in a a small model which I like.

That's great. I saw it yesterday but did not have time to reply. A great truck and I love the pnuematics, in particular I like those outriggers when extended. Pnuematics, in my opinion, are the best solution for lifting and handling weight. I am building something myself with pneumatics.

H :thumbup: