jerewrig

Newbie- Track Design

Hi Everyone. I'm very new to Lego trains. I've read through several sites and forums and seem to be getting mixed answers. Basically I would like to know what the recommended design program is for basic tracks that will potentially include a parts list and an option to buy. LDD + Bricklinks appears to be close, but I would like to import the 7939 track design plus the 10128 Train Level Crossing, maybe add a bridge

and then add on to that. Is that doable? Thanks

I'm in the same boat. http://www.brickpile.com/track-layout-geometry/ discuss a bit why it is so impossible to do a compact design with lego tracks and has some usable example in the comments.

BlueBrick: http://bluebrick.lswproject.com/ seems to be the best program to do layouts in. Starting out with one piece you can just push 'S', 'L', 'R', 'F' and have the track lay out itself.

I find it hard to do any layout that would close up on itself with standard tracks so you will either need some flex track or stick to the bulky modules based on multiple 48 stud plates.

@jerewrig: welcome to Eurobricks! I use bluebricks as well, too bad that it is difficult to run it on a Mac (I start Windows for it..., one could probably use mono but that is also not that a great solution).

B.t.w. a good idea to also introduce yourself so that we also get to know you a bit better :)

four_points_.png

Inspired by the 'dangerous layout' I made this with the four points I have.

Perhaps its not much more advance than two turnbacks connected,

but the extra interconnections might enjoy the kids - or if you make an unstable

configuration you could get it enjoyable by operating one of the outer switches...

This takes 33 straight, 27 curve, 4 points and some flex according to BlueBrick.

That means 1 Cargo Train, 1 Passenger, 3 straight & flex and 1 pack of points (substituting 1 of the straight for flex)

I only have 2 straight & flex packs and the constitution so I would need to slim down or get about 5 straights worth from flex,...

4points-done.jpg

As predicted a few flex tracks were

were needed to complete the track, perhaps it can be optimized with another able of the right track.

Running two trains after each other proved to be a lesson in cooperation for the 2 and 6 year old with a few places were you would need to stop and wait before a point (and of course slowing down if you catch up on the other train)

Another option is to break out the utility knife and create some custom tracks. I'll have to get a photo, but I created some "better" switch tracks to replicate a longer version of the 7996 cross over piece (given it's cost these days). I'm sure this wasn't a new idea, but it worked great! I simply cut across the appropriate place in the switch track pieces and used a 2x4 bley plate to hold the new pieces together. The nice thing is that the track spacing is the same as the cross over piece, and you can simply add more straights if you so desire....

Steve

Another option is to break out the utility knife and create some custom tracks. I'll have to get a photo, but I created some "better" switch tracks to replicate a longer version of the 7996 cross over piece (given it's cost these days).

I picked up a few switches with this same idea in mind (haven't done so yet myself). I personally prefer a single crossover to the double. In any event, yes, please do post photos of your creation when you have a chance.

Sorry for the delay (and it seems I've been beaten to the punch elsewhere!), but here's my images of the modification.

First - here's the issue....the closest you can get with standard switches to the double-crossover:

WP_20140108_001.jpg

Obviously not so good.

So, how to rectify...what we really want is this:

WP_20140108_004.jpg

Simply cut as shown (I used a 1x2 brick as a guide for the utility knife):

WP_20140108_002.jpg

and reassemble (connect the pieces with a 4x2 bley plate)

WP_20140108_003.jpg

Voila!:

WP_20140108_005.jpg

It's twice as long as the double crossover, but definitely less than half the price!

WP_20140108_006.jpg

And you can always add track in between for a separated crossover (something you can't do with the standard double). You have to squint, but in the far end there's the second half of the crossover:

WP_20140108_007.jpg

Hope that helps!

Steve

I really like your 'dangerous' layout! Lots of fun just letting a single train drive around there, I don't think it would ever look dull.

Sorry for the delay (and it seems I've been beaten to the punch elsewhere!), but here's my images of the modification.

A great design, thank you for sharing it! (also neat to see different solutions for the same problem)