Tkavan01

LEGO Mindstorms and Robotics General Discussion

Very Excited about getting one of these, have been holding off for about 6 months to see when the next generation might come out.

Snake robot sounds cool, depth perception will make for some interesting robots.

550_lego%20mindstorms%20ev3%20ev3rstorm.jpg?l.r=-1546735281

EV3 Retail version

EV3 Educational version

Check out the Mindstorms Index here on Eurobricks for useful information:

Eurobricks Mindstorms Index

Edited by Jim
Updated topic title

I haven't even opened up the NXT 2.0 set that I've had for about 12 months (curse those building backlogs)! I'm also really looking forward to these new sets.

I guess the fact that they're apparently backwards compatible with the NXT stuff means that at least my current set won't go to waste.

I haven't even opened up the NXT 2.0 set that I've had for about 12 months (curse those building backlogs)! I'm also really looking forward to these new sets.

I guess the fact that they're apparently backwards compatible with the NXT stuff means that at least my current set won't go to waste.

HAHA!

I am in the EXACT same shoes (except mine's been sitting there even longer).

Sounds like a great development and I look forward to the day when I might actually open it :rofl:

‐Robotics Pioneer Releases More Accessible yet More "Hackable" Platform

in 15th Anniversary Year of the Original Smart Toy‐

‐Includes First‐Ever Native Language Editions for Russia, China and Korea‐

CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SHOW, LAS VEGAS (January 7, 2013) – Today The LEGO Group announced LEGO® MINDSTORMS EV3, a new platform for consumer robotics designed to introduce a younger generation to the excitement of building and programming robots while adding new flexibility for its devoted following of robotics enthusiasts. Unveiled for the first time at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nevada, LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 is the result of three years of product development by an international team of LEGO designers, MINDSTORMS user‐enthusiasts and leading technology experts. LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3, available in summer 2013, will be previewed to members of the global media at Digital Experience! on January 7 and will be demonstrated to CES attendees during the Kids@Play Summit, January 8‐11, 2013, in the Venetian Hotel.

When LEGO MINDSTORMS first launched in 1998 it was regarded as the first real "smart toy." Fifteen years later, The LEGO Group has redesigned MINDSTORMS to excite and challenge an audience of children who have grown up with technology, many of whom are more proficient in commanding and controlling mobile devices and other technology than their older siblings and parents. Furthermore, the audience for consumer robotics has grown considerably, leading the team to focus on simplifying the experience for a younger user while making it more flexible and powerful for hobbyists and other enthusiasts.

The entire MINDSTORMS system is powered by the new EV3 Intelligent Brick. Stronger and faster with more memory and a larger processor, the EV3 Intelligent Brick now un‐tethers robots from the computer by providing users expanded on‐brick programming and tighter integration with smart devices. A new infrared sensor will give builders more control over their robots than ever before, adding more personality to the robot as it follows the builder or other devices. New Linux‐based firmware, a USB port and SD expansion slot will offer nearly unlimited programming and expansion capabilities. Additionally, LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 will also include full iOS and Android compatibility out of the box.

At launch, LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 will include building instructions for 17 different robots such as "Everstorm" a Mohawk‐sporting humanoid that shoots mini‐spheres as it walks, "Spiker" a scorpion‐like robot that searches for an IR beacon "bug" or "Reptar", a robotic snake that slithers, shakes and strikes, all designed to excite and inspire children with the endless possibilities of consumer robotics. To jump‐start the fun, The LEGO Group has created a series of "modular builds" designed to help children begin programming and playing within minutes. Builders can then add LEGO Technic® pieces, additional motors or sensors to change the functionality of the robot. A "mission pad" included with the box adds a new element of game play and encourages children to compete against themselves in a series of obstacle courses for the robots they build and program. Marking another first in the company's history, MINDSTORMS EV3 is the first LEGO playset to incorporate 3D building instructions, made possible through collaboration with Autodesk. An innovative spin on The LEGO Group's hallmark nonverbal, step‐by‐step building instructions, the new 3D instructions app, powered by Autodesk Inventor Publisher, allows builders to zoom in and rotate each step in the building process, making it easier than ever to assemble even the most sophisticated robot.

"Fifteen years ago, we were among the first companies to help children use the power of technology to add life‐like behaviors to their LEGO creations with the MINDSTORMS platform," said Camilla Bottke, LEGO MINDSTORMS project lead at The LEGO Group. "Now, we are equipping today's tech‐literate generation of children with a more accessible, yet sophisticated robotics kit that meets their tech play expectations and abilities to truly unleash their potential so that they may surprise, impress and excite the world with their creativity."

LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 is the most international robotics platform the company has ever developed. In response to a growing demand from emerging markets, for the first time MINDSTORMS will be released with native language editions for Russia, China, Korea, Japan, Spain and Denmark in addition to the English, French, German and Dutch language versions available today. The company assembled a multinational team of product designers and enthusiasts to create the new MINDSTORMS platform; product designers from across Europe and the U.S. worked together to develop the software and hardware for three years while a core team of 12 user‐enthusiasts from Greece to Canada have been testing the limits of the platform and working on apps, models, and hacking environments.

LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 will be available at most toy and discount merchandise retailers and online stores in the second half of 2013 and will have a suggested retail price of $349.99(USD), €349.99(EUR) and $399.99(CAD).

For educators interested in bringing the engagement of robotics into STEM‐related curriculum in middle school and high school classrooms, a new version of the MINDSTORMS platform optimized for school and institutional use will also be released this year. The LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 platform includes customizable curriculum; engaging, hands‐on models and an easy‐to‐use programming platform. More information on LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 can be found at www.LEGOeducation.us/MINDSTORMS.

lego-mindstorms-ev3-ev3rstorm.jpg

lego-mindstorms-ev3-gripp3r.jpg

lego-mindstorms-ev3-r3ptar.jpg

lego-mindstorms-ev3-spik3r.jpg

lego-mindstorms-ev3-spik3r.jpg

lego-mindstorms-ev3-track3r.jpg

Via Engadget

Thanks Tkavan01, you make my day!! For ages I have been waiting for news about the rumored new Mindstorms Kit.

I am pleased with the new, but I expected more of this new version. I was hoping the motors would be more like the PF motors and the brick might have a separate power supply.

Nonetheless I can't wait to get my hands on this set. If it's only for the communication with and iPhone or iPad. This will result in all kinds of awesome apps, no doubt about that.

Not really sure about the color scheme either. I kinda liked the orange touch to the previous versions. But what the heck, the red color is only visible on the motors, so it seems.

Any news on Wifi connectivity? Was really hoping for that.

Wow, this is awesome! Nice colour scheme

New motors, I wonder if they are upgraded in any way?

A question for all eagle eyes:

Do you think the panels and other "white" parts are true white, or "very light bluish grey/light stone grey"?

There seems to be a difference in the tone of the NXT motors next to the panels, esp. in the last photo.

I do hope the new sonar sensor works better than the current one. I does look better! And it seems the IR receiver is in this sensor as well.

Wow, this is awesome! Nice colour scheme

I was hoping for more attachment possibilities, but it seems as cumbersome as it is now.

Do you think the panels and other "white" parts are true white, or "very light bluish grey/light stone grey"?

There seems to be a difference in the tone of the NXT motors next to the panels, esp. in the last photo.

I was wondering the exact same thing. I really hope it is very light bluish grey

if I had to guess, I would guess White :hmpf_bad:

Nice demo movie

http://techcrunch.co...ic-programming/

Edited by Gekke Ted

Wi-Fi FTW

The EV3 system is powered by an "Intelligent Brick" that has an ARM processor, embedded 16 MB of Flash memory, 64MB of RAM, plus an SD expansion slot. The Linux operating system is at its core, and the brick has USB 2.0, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and ports that would let you connect up to four other bricks. Out of the box, the EV3 is compatible with iOS and Android, letting you control robots with your phones or tablets.

I think it is the same white as the StarWars sets combined with LBG.

A lot of good info: http://botbench.com/...-ev3-announced/

Thanks, nice link!

So it's Wifi via a dongle?!

A USB host interface, allowing you to hook up a WiFi dongle.

There are two different types!

3 Interactive Servo Motors: 2 large and 1 medium, both have encoders

The medium motor is at the back of the neck I guess.

TBs_20130107_1f.jpg

Having a smaller motor for controlling additional features is great

The set is growing on me!

Edited by Gekke Ted

Don't think it has build in WiFi capability. Would be awesome. As Xander stated it will probably be via a dongle..

To types of motors WITH encoders. Seem to be smaller too than the NXT ones..

Btw EV3 sounds awesome too in my opinion..

With the same sockets and intelligent brick size to NXT, it looks like it's probably still limited to 3 motors? :(

Doesn't look a huge step forwards from NXT, beyond software/firmware?

With the same sockets and intelligent brick size to NXT, it looks like it's probably still limited to 3 motors? :(

Doesn't look a huge step forwards from NXT, beyond software/firmware?

It says 4 motor ports and 4 sensor ports

And there is a medium motor, so there is definitely some improvement. The medium motor is saving the day in my opinion.

Don't think it has build in WiFi capability. Would be awesome. As Xander stated it will probably be via a dongle..

To types of motors WITH encoders. Seem to be smaller too than the NXT ones..

Btw EV3 sounds awesome too in my opinion..

That's a bit dissapointing, since a dongle connected to the side will stick out like a sore thumb.

The large one look a bit bigger, but are probably the same dimensions. The medium looks great!!

Cool. I've been thinking of picking up an NXT2.0 set, might hold off for a bit. I wonder if this'll mean that V2 sets might go on sale...

It says 4 motor ports and 4 sensor ports

Ah, that's cool then. The medium motor definitely looks useful.

Kind of a shame the intelligent brick is still so large, and presumably still full of AA batteries. Surely it's about time that they moved to a rechargeable LiPo pack for a pricey set like this? - then they could make things a bit more compact.

Right now, it doesn't look llike an amazing upgrade from NXT 2.0. Especially if the medium motor may be usable with an older NXT set?

Edited by bluescrn

@bluescrn:

Not an amazing upgrade?!!! USB host, bluetooth for iOS and Android support, extra motorport, Linux as core OS, expendable memory for programs, etc....

Quite some upgrade I would say!!!

Ah, that's cool then. The medium motor definitely looks useful.

Kind of a shame the intelligent brick is still so large, and presumably still full of AA batteries. Surely it's about time that they moved to a rechargeable LiPo pack for a pricey set like this? - then they could make things a bit more compact.

Right now, it doesn't look llike an amazing upgrade from NXT 2.0. Especially if the medium motor may be usable with an older NXT set?

The medium motor is a great asset to the mindstorms family.

I was so hoping that TLC would create a separate power supply for the NXT brick. This way you would be more flexible in mounting the huge brick.

I was a bit dissappointed at first glance, but like JopieK said, it still is a pretty nice upgrade.

There are other options of course, like Arduino (I use that quite often), but I like NXT very much for less technical varieties of education (like Primary Education, Secondary non-Informatics education etc). One additional motor possibility is very nice. I am referee and coach in our region for the FIRST LEGO League and would hope this will push young students a bit more towards technical education :)

There are other options of course, like Arduino (I use that quite often), but I like NXT very much for less technical varieties of education (like Primary Education, Secondary non-Informatics education etc). One additional motor possibility is very nice. I am referee and coach in our region for the FIRST LEGO League and would hope this will push young students a bit more towards technical education :)

Arduino is very nice as well. But using Lego gives it a more playful approach. The NXT unit appeals more to students than a circuit board (I guess, you will know better).

Another set in my "must have! cannot resist! divorce is not scaring me" list!

We will be waiting for around 6 months and price is around 350$. For how much we can expect to get this in EU?

Are you sure it has 4 motor ports? I know that the website says that, but maybe it is a mistake? Because later down it says:

In the box you’ll find the following:

• 3 Interactive Servo Motors: 2 large and 1 medium, both have encoders.

That's what is included in the box. Could be that there's an extra port.

But you have a valid point, this might be a mistake.

If there are 4 motor ports, wouldn't TLC make a main model with 4 motors?! Throwing in an extra motor would not make the set much more expensive, right?!

(thanks Superkalle for merging the two topics)

Edited by Gekke Ted

Wow was going to get an NXT.2 the week end. Think ill hold on now for this.

Nice timing :wink:

Lads, what kind of fate will the 2.0 waiting? Would it drop in price?

In contrast to other sets getting more expensive, I think this one will drop in price, since there's a better alternative. However, this is only a guess. Not sure whether the first Mindstorms dropped in price after the release of the NXT.