DanSto

MOC Architecture : The Cathedral of Strasbourg

If your are interested into middle-age cathedrals, you will certainly know the great lady of Strasbourg : its marvelous cathedral.

If not, then have a look to wikipedia you will certainly be impressed by its very characteristic unique tower making this cathedral the highest present middle age building (it was the tallest in the world from 1647 to 1874).

vue_google_map.JPG

(source Google map).

Last december, the ARTE TV channel diffused a very impressive documentary on the elevation of the cathedral</a> and this gave me the idea to build it in an Architecture like style.

Virtually, it looks like this :

google%252Blego.jpg

(LDView image).

The scale was rapidly defined with the 3 studs diameter for the rose window and the sand green slope bricks for the roof.

Some pictures of the great lady of Strasbourg made using 1323 parts :

Main façade and back :

CdS_AV.JPGCdS_AR.JPG

North face :

Cds_G.JPG

South Face:

CdS_D.JPG

Aerial views :

CdS_AVD.JPG

CdS_AVG.JPG

CdS_ARG.JPG

CdS_ARD.JPG

A small video showing the building process step by step :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGIiPDbYCQ8

Hope you enjoy it :wink:

Edited by DanSto

Great MOC! The colours have been captured almost perfectly! Same for the layout! I like how you did the windows on the ground floor with the bricks' base!

You did a great job on this. I am very impress by your building skills. The bright yellow gives a nice lighting effect as if light was shining through from inside the cathedral.

Edited by kermit

A wonderful Cathedral MOC, much better than any official LEGO Architecture sets! It's even better to realise than it had been modelled in LDD and then was built with real bricks!

I particulary like the usage of spears.

This is amazing. You captured the source material very well, especially considering the size.

I really like the use of spears also. Adds a nice detail. The roofing looks excellent. The ground floor windows with the headlight element is smart thinking.

I don't love the colors combined, but I realize that is the official coloring so you nailed it there.

Keep up the great work. I'd love to see more architecture sets from you. You capture the small scale quite well.

this is great, really like the windows as well and the height to building ratio is spot on, I know TLG has their own architecture group that does designs, but I would hope they would sometimes check out sites like this to see what creativity is done by others so maybe get them thinking and while I know Cuusoo is out there too, but builds like this deserve to be made for all of us. Wonderful job

Great build! You really were creative in capturing this design, and it paid off!

Great MOC, the scale that matches the size of the original building in the picture is amazing. The details are fantastic, especially the windows. Very well done. :thumbup:

Wow.

That turned out great. Using the spears/light sabers(?) for the flying buttresses and the reversed pieces for the side windows were strokes of genius. I didn't even notice the blue backing for the rose window until I watched the video. That's another nice touch!

Have you submitted that to CUUSOO? I'd vote for it. Heck, the only thing you'd need to do is make the 1-stud wide black, stepped down rim around the base, and you'd never know it wasn't an official set.

Edited by rollermonkey

Wow.

That turned out great. Using the spears/light sabers(?) for the flying buttresses and the reversed pieces for the side windows were strokes of genius. I didn't even notice the blue backing for the rose window until I watched the video. That's another nice touch!

Have you submitted that to CUUSOO? I'd vote for it. Heck, the only thing you'd need to do is make the 1-stud wide black, stepped down rim around the base, and you'd never know it wasn't an official set.

Thanks. Well, you are right, I will include this black surrounding base.

Notre Dame de Strasbourg has now a free building instruction and a bricklink parts list file ready for download :

Building instruction 150 DPI (8 Mbytes) : https://drive.google...bmlCX1UySGg1MUE

Building instruction 300 DPI (22 Mbytes) : https://drive.google...aVZjUjZLNUpOSDQ

BL parts list file : https://drive.google...ZzFKd2lHTW5QeXM

Edited by DanSto

Really cool MOC! Its amazing how youve managed to capture the intricacy of the cathedral in such a small scale.

I remember how impressed I was by the cathedral (and not just the spire, but the main body) towering over the old town when I visited... I imagine it was even more impressive before the era of skyscrapers.