mindstorms_ev3.png LEGO MINDSTORMS PARTS AND COMPONENTS

Welcome to the Mindstorms Parts and Components topic. Here you can post information or ask questions about parts, components, sensors, etc. I will update the Index of this post when new content is available.

WiFi Dongles

Technicbricks.com - WiFi Dongle for EV3

Cables

Botbench.com - Awesome EV3 Daisy Chain cable

Sensors

Eurobricks.com - Mindstorms Index

Jim, Good Initiative!

I asked a question in a different thread few days back and I think it's totally lost now ... but a thread with typical issues/questions about 'packaged/pre-built' features might be useful as well. I'm thinking of the 'Voice Acitvated' option in iPad's EV3 Controller. Very little available on-line ... unless the app itself is a gimmick and not worth much.

Edited by DrJB

I think your question can be easily posted in the Programming Topic. It's not programming you do yourself, but it's still a form of controlling your robot.

Is this the right place to ask about what cables you use to connect PF motors to EV3 brick and how to get them? :)

Yeah sure :thumbup: 

There used to be PF to NXT/EV3 cables. Need to look up if they are still available. Will get back to you.

@Mestari When I looked into cables for controlling PF motors with Mindstorms I came to the conclusion that it made more sense to purchase Mindstorms motors instead, and get the full servo features. Cables + shipping came out close to the price of new Mindstorms motors, this was a few years ago. 

Thank you. Though sometimes size is the limiting factor, so if those are still available, it would be great to have a couple.

On 10/15/2018 at 8:53 AM, Mestari said:

Thank you. Though sometimes size is the limiting factor, so if those are still available, it would be great to have a couple.

You can also go for the PFMate. I have been testing it and it works nicely. 

http://www.mindsensors.com/ev3-and-nxt/123-pf-motor-controller-for-nxt-or-ev3-pfmate

From what I recall TLG made these cables. Which is confirmed by this article:

http://www.bartneck.de/2015/06/01/building-instructions-for-a-cable-that-connects-lego-power-functions-pf-with-mindstorms-nxtev3/

The cables are out of production, but you can still get them, if you want to fork out that kind of cash.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=8528-1#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

Wow that cost is high now, if you are handy with a soldering iron, you could make your own

That is just faaaar too expensive. It's better to have a bunch of smaller EV3 motors instead...